"Don't forget your magazines!!!" pistol or rifle

chadio

At my most recent range visit, in between strings of fire, I noticed a family of 4 ( with two boys appeared 12 to 14 y.o.) setting up - they appeared to have roughly 3 rifles total. After a cease fire, they set up their targets. Exchanged hello, pleasant small talk, etc. Seemed like a very nice family looking forward to the shoot.

After line hot, I shoot a few more, and notice that they are packing up. I had to ask, why they were leaving. "We forgot all of the magazines" "No big deal, stuff happens"

I felt horrible. Dad, Mom, kiddos getting out for fun and missing a critical component. If I could only re-live that moment, I would have offered to let their sons shoot the remainder of my ammo in my rifle just so the trip was not a total waste.

This brings me to a possible consideration: when you store a pistol or rifle that is magazine fed into your safe, why not... out of habit... leave an empty magazine in it ?

Magazines

My dad refused to hunt with a rifle equipped with a detachable mag for that very reason......you find it detached at a most inopportune time.

I will store most of my rifles (with flush mount mags) with an empty mag installed, just to avoid misplacing them. But , extended mags as on AR, AK and others take up room in the safe and create sharp edges that can mar other guns, so the mag well on those types are empty. For whatever reason, my handguns are put up with empty mag wells, unless said pistol/ revolver is for ready carry or use.

Rifles with detachable mags have a spare in the gun case they are typically transported in, plus one in the 'big' range bag with rests and targets.
Pistols have at least one spare mag in the 'small' range bag, which can stay for a small trip or have to be removed for a 'big' trip. If removed, it is a reminder to make sure I have a spare mag.

All firearms are stored with a mag in place.

It has still occurred, though. Distractions happen.

I ALMOST always keep an empty mag in all of my detachable magazine firearms. But I've also made that mistake a couple of times when I didn't double check.

One thing that helps prevent that from being a problem is that with most guns I bring several pre-loaded magazines with me. Especially for my AR's or semi-auto pistols.

I was big into radio control models for many years. Several times, I witnessed folk headed home without flying or driving. Yeah, forgot the transmitter.

Invariably, I tend to always forget to take something to the range. I am always in a hurry to get out the door, excited to shoot and in my rush I forget something. Over the years, I have forgotten mags, ammo, hearing protection, targets, etc...

Last week I forgot my cleaning kit..... hence I did not have a cleaning rod.... hence I couldn't clear the barrel of my AR when a spent shell wouldn't eject. Had to pack up the gun and go home to clear the brass. Shot the gun one time.

Been there, done that . . . AND . . .

Yeah, I've gotten to the range w/o a magazine for one or more of my handguns. That's how I wound up with no less than five 45 acp mags. (Bought one at the range.)

Twice, while in the field, I've had to cut a cable lock off a shotgun because I forgot the key.

Life is good
Prof Young

Well like they say, memory is the second thing to go as you get older.

I've got a 'range list' printed out (I've printed out several copies) that I keep in my range bag and I really do take a look at each item on the list before I leave. It's saved me on more than one occasion and the list isn't all that long either.

Last trip to the range, I forgot my spotting scope. Didn't ruin my day, but I wasn't able to do as much as I wanted.

I've never forgotten the ammunition or the magazines when I've gone to the range. But I have forgotten my wallet, so I couldn't sign in or pay for the range time. :o

Got to the range to site in my 300 savage model 99. No mags needed. But I forgot to bring ammo. Lucky me the range had one box they could not get rid of.

Chadio said:
This brings me to a possible consideration: when you store a pistol or rifle that is magazine fed into your safe, why not... out of habit... leave an empty magazine in it ?

I absolutely refuse to store a magazine in my firearms. My mindset is all guns are always loaded. "Well, Shane, then why don't you just keep a magazine in your guns while stored if you have that mindset?"

Because I'm a fallible human being.

The only times magazines are in my firearm are if I'm carrying on my person, in my vehicle while I'm in it, or placed in the house such as my nightstand for the purpose of immediate access to defend myself or loved ones.

That's just how I am. And I don't fault anyone that does store an empty magazine in their firearm in their vault. Just not how I roll, is all.

My pistols are loaded with JHP and distributed around the house. I just clear them before going to the range and leave the loaded magazine at home.

All the spare empties are on the shelves with the associated ammo, and that includes rifle magazines - none of my rifles are loaded, as I would never use one for HD. So I just grab the ammo and magazines as needed.

All my unloaded guns are stored with an empty magazine in place. That way, the mag doesn't get lost or forgotten, its always there. Spares are separate, as is ammo.

SO even if I forget the spares I always have one magazine to use, as long as I've got the gun, and remember the ammo! ;)

After several forgettable moments like those mentioned, I finally made a check list of what to take. I just need to remember to look at the list.

Make a list and check it twice !!!

This thread reminds me of the time a bunch of us went up to deer camp, in south central Wisconsin during archery season and one of the guys, had to phone his wife, to bring his arrows up and she was not very happy. ..... :mad:

Be Safe !!!

That leads me to the time I got halfway to my bowhunting spot and realized I left my recurve bow and quiver at home!

I had an extended cab pickup at the time and sure enough, a spare longbow and arrows were back there. I continued on to my evening hunt, just with a different bow and arrows than normal.

So said, Ive forgotten things on trips to the range, but Ive never forgotten so much I couldnt shoot something for a while.

Im a tad more careful on loading at both ends now as the range is 17 miles from the house.

Was at an IDPA event and heard a gentleman uttering some pretty harsh words.

Turned out he had his 45ACP 1911 and a whole bunch of 9mm ammo.

He had driven quite a ways to get there too. Wasn't going to just run home and pick some up.

Back