Don't do dumb stuff

"Don't do dumb Stuff". If only I had the ability to follow that advice!!

glad you are OK, lots of folks don't get a second chance.

Please be careful on those things people. My brother saw one of his best friends try to climb a very steep hill on his new 4 wheeler, the thing flipped over backwards and the handlebar went through his neck killing him instantly. Just like any tool, you have to be careful.

I just got word from the doctor, that it will be another 3 to 4 weeks before my ribs heal up, but outside of soreness, I'm actually feeling pretty good.

I just thought of something, that at the time wasn't very funny, but now seems to be humorous. As I said before, I was trapped under this thing for about 15 or 20 minutes, and while I was there, I had enough sense not to panic. As I lay under it, I stopped to evaluate my condition, and take inventory of my body parts that may, or may not, still be attached.
After a little while I realized that I did not have any broken bones, or that I was disabled in any way, other than just being pinned down from the weight of the 4-wheeler.

It was at this point that I started to smell gasoline, and from the position I was in, I could see that my switch was still in the "on" position.:eek: My head was pinned under the handle bars, and I had decided that there was absolutely no way that
I could get it out. I was wrong. After smelling gas with an open switch, my calmness went out the window. Full panic set in, and that's probably why I tore my face as bad as I did.

Gas around an open electric switch is a real motivator:o

Yes, please be careful on 4 wheelers. My brother watched one of his friends roll one over backwards and the handle bar went straight through his neck killing him instantly. I used to play around on them but I don't anymore.

When ATVs first came out they were three-wheelers! Talk about instability!

Still the center of gravity of a four-wheeler with a rider is quite high, so it doesn't take much side slope or up-slope to cause a big problem. Everyone should take an ATV safety course before taking one out in the wilds. Still, they're much more stable than a trail-bike, especially in slippery soils.

When ATVs first came out they were three-wheelers! Talk about instability!
Well the modern definition of ATV is different from the 1st ones to come on the market and this;
Arnold Ranger, would be one of the first, was a track unit. The developer, Norbert Arnold of Pengilly MN closed because of legal action from roll over's. That unit would literally climb a tree!
I have one of these and the thing is never used to play with. I keep the blade on it for safety and it is also my parking brake.

I'm going to attack this in a different maner different manner.

After reading a few of your other post, and me being a fellow "dumb stuffer" I think you would be a heck of a lot of fun to hunt with.

Well the modern definition of ATV is different from the 1st ones to come on the market and this;
Arnold Ranger, would be one of the first, was a track unit. The developer, Norbert Arnold of Pengilly MN closed because of legal action from roll over's. That unit would literally climb a tree!

I kinda like that setup!

Was up in the u.p. of Mich. and watched some demo's of ATV's with various track units added to them offered by a company of which I don't remember their name. They were impressive. Didn't seem to bury or dig down making ruts like tires do but gripped the ground like nobodies business. IIRC, the turning radius wasn't as good as with the tires.
I've often considered buying the 'track kit' for my 750 Brute Force. Think it was around a couple grand if I remember correctly.

Yes, the old three wheelers were pretty dangerous. Many years ago, was with a good friend of mine at his cabin way back in the backwoods of Clay Co. West Virginia. He did a burnout on the wet morning grass on his Honda 'Big Red' and was doing okay till the mudders hooked up in the WV red clay. Over it came on top of him makin a mess of his spine, breaking his back and crushing several discs/vertebrae.

Trying to get him to lay still while waiting for the chopper to life flight him out was the worse.

I just bought my first ATV, a Polaris Sportsmen 500.

After my last elk hunt, or should I say horse hunt, I figured you wont have to spend the first three days of the season hunting your horse with an ATV.

I've been told ATVs don't wonder off on you.

When I lived in NC many years ago our friends kids had 3-wheelers. One of them crashed and got a stick through one cheek and out the bottom of his chin. He didn't cry. He drank water and he and his brother laughed when it came out the bottom of his chin. Tough kids.

I just bought my first ATV, a Polaris Sportsmen 500.

After my last elk hunt, or should I say horse hunt, I figured you wont have to spend the first three days of the season hunting your horse with an ATV.

I've been told ATVs don't wonder off on you.

Yea kraigway, but you'll find out that that ATV won't help keep you as warm as your horse when you ride off into the sunset...or should I say blizzard.:D

Back