Dominant hand/eye

right handed, left eyeyd.

I'm not real good with a rifle, and actually prefer to shoot a pistol. I just close my eye and concentrate really hard on a rifle. Most of the time I actually hit the target. I don't find it as much fun, as it requires too much thinking, etc.

When shooting a pistol I just turn my head a little to the right to adjust for my left eye. With a lot of practice, I've picked up muscle memory, so I no longer have to think about it.

Exco

I'm right handed and left eye dominant.
As has been said it is a non-issue with a handgun with very minor adjustment.
With long guns I squint my left eye almost closed, and again it is a non-issue.
I'm not saying that this is the right way to deal with it, but has always worked just fine for me and I've never had my shooting ability questioned.
I'm no professional trick shot, but I'm used to hitting what I aim at and I expect to.

My oldest son is the same as I am but has the same issue that Doyle mentions regarding not being able to squint his left eye independent of his right, even just a little.
He sometimes struggles a little with long guns, but really seems to cope with things just fine.
I tried early on to get him to shoot left handed but he wasn't having any of that.
Refused to wear eye patches, blocked out left lens shooting glasses, etc.
Having the same cross dominance myself, I can understand why.

I went so far as to purchase an unusual 'lefty' Winchester semi-auto shotgun some time back for both of us to experiment with while shooting clays.
Not that it was necessary to do so, but it was a low production number lefty at a very good price.... so why not?
Both of us could use it reasonably well, but neither of us could get comfortable with it or cared to do so.
It shoots just fine right handed too, just like the reverse goes.

For most people, I don't really think that cross eye dominance winds up being that big of an issue though I know that it can for some.
Those of us who are just tend to cope with it (and most do so pretty well) in our own little ways without a lot of fanfare, sometimes without even realizing there's any issue.

Back