dogs

I've carried a rattan cane in the past (kind of odd for a young guy, but I've got a bad knee). It's a really strong material. Never had to whack a dog, but once I had to do the "I'm a bigger dog" thing with a bulldog. He was just a neat old fellow who was testing my mettle, so I whacked the ground in front of him full force (ready, of course, to ram the crook down his maw). It probably resounded for a mile around. He was impressed, felt that honor had been satisfied and let me pass.

Had he not been a good dog, I believe that the cane would have served well.

I favor impact weapons above spray because you have a full array of force options.

Fox Pepper Spray sell sprays with 5.3 million SHU's.The SHU's are what makes pepper spray effective, not the percentage of capscium.

Wish we could use pepper spray on animals here in Australia, maybe the Dingo wouldn't do it!!!!!........again.:o

I have 4 Scotties, and walk them twice a day around the neighborhood. They are always on their leashes. My problems are with the other dogs that are not on leashes, but are let out, or get out. I carry an ASP, the long one, and at night my rechargable Maglight. I have had to use both on attacking dogs. I am not afraid of any dog, but holding on to two, and fighting off another is frankly, a real pain.

Many years back, It fell to me to help my brother in law clear a pack of ferral dogs out of the timber he cruised as a regional forest ranger. These dogs had killed one person and injured another. He used a Sweet 16 with BB shot, and I used either a .30 carbine, or a Ruger .44 semiauto rifle. Both of those worked fine, but the shotgun was awesome. A real nasty bit of business though.

As a couple of people mentioned above, the heat of the pepper spray, measured in SHUs, determines the effectiveness, including how fast it takes effect. The Fox spray is the only 5 million SHU spray I have ever seen. Most on the market are in the 1-2 million SHU range.

The percentage of pepper determines how long the effect lasts. In general, a 10% spray will be less effective than the Fox spray, but the burning and swelling will last much longer. So if you are using a low heat spray that just aggrevates the dog, the high percentage means that the dog will stay aggrevated longer.

Fox pepper Spray

The PD fo which I work generously volunteered my recruit class for 'testing' the effectiveness of various OC Sprays. OBVIOUSLY I only was hit with one brand, but it was (of course), Fox.

Pure liquid Hell.

It may be coincidence, but only three recruits were sent (note: not whined and asked to go, but were ordered to go) to the hospital, and each was hit with Fox. Nothing serious, just three cases of chemical conjunctivitis, but damn...that stuff is HORRIBLE.

Mike

Check out www.guardalaska.com for some really serious OC. Also an interesting discussion of why they don't use SHUs for ratings. As for impact weapons, I would consider Newt Livesay's WA1 (whoop ass 1) sticks. They are somewhat flexible and tear things up like a sjambok.

I just had a little run in with a punting dog sized mutt (35+ lbs). It charged me and kept acting all tuff guy towards me. The owners watched and did nothing.

I'm thinking of bringing bear spray or Pepper but what quantity and what size would be apropriate?

It was trying to bite me but my runners kept it away. It was mostly an annoyance so I don't think it deserves to be fermaldehyded yet....

How about some tabasko or such liquid?

:mad: Advice? :mad:

Dogs and humans are far harder to dissuade with pepper spray than bears are. The bears have a natural fear and aversion to man that dogs and humans do not have. Also the bear has far more wet mucous membrane available to hit, dogs less, humans very little.

:D Yes bear spray may be overkill...... So maybe pepper.....

It's passed the rolled up newspaper stage so how else can you disassociate a dog with yourself. Would pepper spray leave a lasting memory not to interfere with nice Joggers?

Back