Dogs and pepper spray

I realize this sounds comical, but her best bet is a small fire extiguisher and/or an aerosol airhorn. Dumb animals are scared of loud or overly confusing things.

As I sit alone quietly in my basement typing this...

I've heard the oc isn't that bad by itself and the cs is pretty bad on the lungs but trust me, when the two are mixed together in a spray it hurts...I couldn't open my eyes for 30 mins after washing the stuff off..... I also didn't feel the fan that fell on my nose lol.

I have told this story a few times both on here and on TFL, so pardon me if you have heard it.
A few years ago, when I still lived in the city, I was taking my dog out for a walk. He is a fairly large male Rottweiler at the time about 120 pounds and maybe 5 years old. He has had hundreds of hours of non-professional training and some professional training.
I walked out my front door, told the dog to sit, and proceeded to lock my front door. The dog was in full view of my and maybe five feet away. I heard a hissing sound in back of me and turned to find the mailman pepper spraying my dog. At no time did my dog growl, or leave the position of sit. I asked him what the hell he was doing ? My dog never made the slightest aggressive move toward you and he is sitting on his own front porch. He said, you can never be too careful with dogs like that. The dog showed no reaction what so ever to the pepper spray. He didn't even blink. He just sat there like he did from the instant I gave him the command, sit. I told the guy, well, I hope you see that you have a false sense of security in that pepper spray. I then proceeded to walk my dog. He showed no effect at all from the pepper spray.

When I was a kid, many people let their dogs run loose. It was so common that I don't ever remember anyone saying anything about it. I have to believe that tying dogs up is a fairly recent thing that I am sure started in the cities and as lawyers gradually took over every aspect of our lives, moved on to the country. I never had a problem with dogs other than a few chasing me on my bike which didn't harm me in the least. I have spent the last 20+ years working as a paramedic: going in strangers houses, sometimes breaking into strangers houses when they can't answer the door, jumping people's back fences and walls etc. I have never had a problem with a dog. I work in a high volume EMS system. One of the busiest in the country and I could count on one hand the number of dog bite calls I have ever responded on. NONE of which amounted to anything more than a few minor punture wounds. Yet, dog attacks and dog shooting are one of the primary topics on internet gun boards. I guess I lead a sheltered life.
The fact that it is common where you live to have dogs running loose tells me that it is not a big problem. But, it never hurts to be careful. I wouldn't rely on pepper spray. I would rely on the same means of personal protection I rely on for any other threat: the handgun. However I don't know the legal status of that where you live. Maybe an UZI ?

The higher concentration means that it will take longer for the effects to wear off. I'm certified by five different OC programs but I carry Fox-Labs which is 2% and 5.3 million SHU's.
The inmates would tend to disagree. The OC in the fogger (big honkin leaf blower lookin thing used during riots in prisons) got better results when the OC was mixed at lower levels (or just used by itself with no dilution...

I used an aerosol pesticide called Orthene 280
that was your problem, you should have used Dursban 270. Orthene is water soluble, Dursban isn't. It hurts more when it gets in the eyes and can cause temporary blindness.

I had to use it once on another type of vicious animal when I worked in NYC :D

That and a maglite 4 cell! Broke the bulb too :p

You folks might try carrying a small box of milk bone biscuits, you might find a new friend :D

The fact that it is common where you live to have dogs running loose tells me that it is not a big problem.
That's odd, I found the part of the story where a kid was killed by the dogs to be extremely problematic.

I grew up in rural America, and never had a problem with dogs attacking either. Then again none of the people I grew up around were the least bit tolerant of misbehaving dogs. If a dog so much as snapped at a child (unprovoked) the dog would be dead before it hit the ground.

It would seem that once some of the neighbors in urban/suburban environments realize that the unarmed sheeple in a particular neighborhood won't do anything about a dog - that has become a problem - they then feel safe to have dogs that wouldn't have survived 10 seconds where I grew up.

But hey, if losing a kid or two to a dog now and then isn't a problem for folks, then who am I to judge them?

Just keep badly behaved mutts away from me and mine.

"That's odd, I found the part of the story where a kid was killed by the dogs to be extremely problematic."
Well, obviously I agree that this is a problem, but he doesn't give any details as to what exactly happened. Was this the result of dogs roaming around at large or did it happen in a home (or where ever) ?
I also see this as being similar to the arguments given by the anti-gun crowd. According to his post, loose dogs are common place, and out of all the loose dogs, there was one incident mentioned. It was a big incident, but only one. Don't get me wrong, I don't approve of dogs running around loose for a variety of reasons, but based on what he said in his post I wouldn't go into a blind panic about it since there appear to be very few problems resulting from it. His mother is appearently doing her job and he makes no mention of any specific problem she has had. I agree that she should be prepared for a problem, like all of us should, but keep things reasonable. I certainly don't think my mailman was in the right, walking around pepper spraying every dog he sees. I also don't see the need for some kind of dog genocide when the dog's arn't causing a problem. Obviously, if a dog becomes a problem, the problem should be dealt with in an appropriate manner.
Of course using that same line of reasoning, in this country there are a lot of child abductions, a lot of kids get run over by cars, kids get in trouble, so maybe kids shouldn't be running around loose either. :D

Agreed! Buy the stuff strong enough for Bear! I can relate. Im a bicyclist and dogs love to chase me. A good dose of the Bear strength pepper spray should work. I hate dogs like that. :mad:

Be careful

Having worked with training dogs for several years, now (Schutzhund Sport, but also know many LEOs and their dogs), Mostly GSDs, Rottweilers(which I personally don't care for) and Malinois, there can be as much danger from acting aggressively towards the dog as there is doing nothing, maybe more. Many breeds are instinctively protective, and will bark, etc. BUT, there's a huge difference between being protective and aggressive...There are very few truly aggressive dogs out there. Tough part is telling the difference...I can do it based on alot of experience, i.e. I can read dogs body language well. Just because a dog runs up and barks at you means nothing, but they are also watching you body language and reaction. Safest course is (and I know this is hardly a "normal" reaction) to stand perfectly still, hands at your sides, doing nothing. If the dog doesn't feel threatened, it is VERY unlikely to bite. If you do something aggressive like pepper spray, or kick the dog, you've now become a threat, and you've got about a 50-50 chance of the dog either running away, or attacking. I have several dogs, who would never bite, despite the fact that they are trained to do so (but only within the narrow confines of their training) UNLESS you attacked them. At that point you are in serious trouble. I've never tried it, but I suspect pepper spray would just probably just pi*s them off... I know that if you struck them, they are gonna fight. (Unfortunately this happened, once. I have a very vocal dog, he loves people and barks to get their attention. When I first moved in this house, I had temporary 4' fence...He climbed over it (pursuing a bitch in heat, that I had here to breed to him...he would never do it on his own due to his training). He, as I would expect went to the first people he found, neighbors working in their yard. And of course he barked, to get their attention. At which point the neighbor (idiot) hit him in the testicles with a rake...And got bit...But, the dog only used enough force (bit the hand) to stop from being attacked, when he could have easily caused serious injury (this is a 125 lb. GSD)...At this point in his life, this dog had been to competing for several years, held many obedience titles, had been around thousands of people (literally), and children could come up to him, pull his ears, his tail, whatever...about as stable as they come.)

Anyway, my point is be careful relying on any means to "stop" a dog, you could escalate an otherwise innocous situation. Being more aware of dog behavior, and how to properly react, is still the best "weapon". Resort to others only when you have no other choice, and realize you might not get the results you want.

You may have just answered The Big Question!....."Why do liberals hate guns?"

ROFLMAOPMP

Dammit, Quartus, you owe me a new keyboard, monitor and pair of trousers!! :D

That's just stellar. I'm gonna have to use that sometime.

Back