Dog Incident while walking my dog; Advice Needed

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Since I last posted, I was walking my dog (he thinks it's for fun but it's actually his daily obedience training) when a loose Silky Terrier (probably under 15# - my Charley now over 200#) chased us down - his object unknown - but I did spray him with the Fox OC spray I always carry for incidents not requiring the 1911A1. Didn't hurt him any but it did turn him away and, if he had any aggression in mind as some terriers do - I probably saved his life.

Accidents happen but most "accidents" as in cars and guns, as well as in dogs running loose off leash, are really the result of someone's negligence and are avoidable. Over the past three decades, I've never had one of my dogs loose off leash. Haven't had any car or motorcycle or gun "accidents" either.

:rolleyes: :D

Since I last posted, I was walking my dog (he thinks it's for fun but it's actually his daily obedience training) when a loose Silky Terrier (probably under 15# - my Charley now over 200#) chased us down - his object unknown - but I did spray him with the Fox OC spray
I was going to offer some kind words since I know of 3 labs that came after me and my greyhound once, but damn you're becoming a menace with that spray can. You'll probably be one of the few civilians out there to actually completely use one up.
Someone, take that spray can thing from him. ROFL

As someone who often ends up repairing the aftermath of dog on dog attacks you took a very reasonable course of action and I?d stand by your actions in a second, of course you never do know an animals intent until often it?s too late though more seasoned dog types can read body language with 80-90% accuracy though there are always surprises of the worst type.

Frankly I think that those electric fence deals ought to not count as a fence --- they are always breaking or failing on some level plus do not protect dogs from threats coming into the yard or people or kids wondering on a yard if the dog is aggressive / protective --- plus they are often purchased by someone looking for a quick fix to a larger problem --- we have even seen people try to use these things to keep problem wolf hybrids contained --- with predictable poor results.

I would say that telling the owners is strongly advisable as they might want to flush out the dog?s face / eyes and make sure he did not abrade his cornea in the process of pawing at his face.

Breed may account for 5-10% of a dogs over all personality or predisposition, the rest is environment, if the converse was true working dog people would not spend so much time in selecting candidates for police / military service, heck if half the absolutes people talk about were true you could just go grab any lab and have a therapy dog and go grab any German Shepherd and have a patrol dog. I have seen just about every breed be profoundly aggressive or unbelievably nice, yes even aggressive golden retrievers, and frankly in the right circumstances most any dog will bite --- if they are fearful of their life / safety that IS their defense mechanism, a dog?s personality has a large role in this as well --- is he or she fearful and aggressive in response to that or is he or she dominant and challenging your authority --- the latter type of dog tends to be more predictable and generally easier for an experienced handler to deal with --- they will tell you when you are going to have a problem, the fearful dog is going to fight or flight and a chronically fearful dog needs a lot of work and is in general less predictable.

Though I?m not much of a small dog person myself (often I wonder if Chihuahua translates to biting rat) and granted certain small breeds were breed / selected for ?spunk? because they were meant to chase small game or rats and so forth, I do have to come to their defense as 70-80% of the ones I see that are problem children are that way because they have spent their entire life in someone?s lap and have never ever been introduced to any part of the big broad world because some people don?t think this is important for a small dog so you end up with this poor profoundly fearful animal that will fire at will anytime it?s not on it?s owners lap, the other variation of this that accounts for the other 20% or so is the small dog that has shown aggression / dominance and because it?s a small dog the owner thinks it?s ?cute? or funny somehow and does nothing to curb it.

OJ ? beautiful dogs there got to love the giant breeds.

Re: Rsqvet

The citronella spray I mentioned above does not harm a dog in any way. I even sprayed some in my hand and put it near my eyes. The only thing I experienced was a strange odor. I tried sniffing a small amount of pepper spray once. Like I say, only once.

I realize suggesting a spray with citronella as the active ingredient sounds silly. I thought the same thing when I first got the product. My first use changed my mind to its effectiveness. Seeing a large German Shepard take off runnning like it saw a ghost made me a believer.

Doctor RsqVet - I appreciate your comments.

They are good citizens in addition to their looks. They have had essentially daily obedience training since we got them at 11 weeks of age and are the love of the neighborhood. Today, we had them in their final exercise in our driveway which is the "sit - stay" followed by the "down - stay" and three teen aged boys rode bikes up to the end of the driveway. The dogs didn't break and the teens were very impressed - particularly when we released them to socialize with the company as Mastiffs like these never met a stranger or anyone who didn't want to pet them.;)

I was proud of the Mastiffs and the teens.- both of which showed good training and social skills.:)

:D :D :D

I would agree with going and talking to the owner of the nuisance dog. If you do it politely and they are (hopefully) responsible dog owners, then they are going to want to know. The fence could be faulty, the dog could be sadistic, or the battery in the collar transmitter could be dead.. lots of variables and a good idea to get to the bottom of it.
I also agree with your response to the situation. I watched a pair of Labs rip a cat in half literally by playing tug of war with it. They were oblivious to my yells and by the time I found something effective to get them away with, it was far too late for the poor puss. Stereotyping a breed will only lead to heartache- much better safe than sorry. Thankfully there were no injuries and hopefully you wont have to deal with something like this again!

you did well

A little old lady's poodle attacking me is not a scenario that keeps me up at night :p But you did well

Re: electric fences...they are a deterrent, but a determined (or stupid) dog with a tolerance for the zap they give can shoot right through it. After all, once the dog is through, the zap goes away just like if the dog backs up and gets AWAY from the electric fence. Once they figure that out, the fence loses its effectiveness. This is why God invented chain link and privacy fencing. :D Talk to your neighbor so he/she knows that the dog's behavior is not being completely controlled by the electric fence.

Springmom

Back