Dog chases squirrle!!

handgun357

Has your dog ever caught a squirrel?
Mine chases them every chance he gets, but never catches one. The same goes for rabbit, birds, racoons, opossoms, and chipmunks.
The chase goes on.............:D

I have a rat terrier/poodle. She stands about 10" tall and a foot or so long. In Washington we didn't have a fence, and the grey squirrels would come and play in the yard, eating and what-not. We'd let our dog out and she'd be on them like lightning, but she's just run over them, stepping on the sometimes. She really didn't know she was supposed to kill them. The squirrels didn't like it much though.
It got to the point where they were never more than 3 feet from the base of a tree when in our yard. They would also scram halfway up a tree if the backdoor opened, thinking the dog was comming out. We had to start letting her out the front door, and she would B-line it all the way around the house and be on top of them before they new it:) Now we have a fenced yar though, and not to many squirrels come around, cuz I tend to ventilate them with my pellet rifle:D

We never let her chase raccoons and opossums. Both cary rabbies, The raccoons in Washington are MORE than twice her size, and the opossums are mean little SOB's.

I have a 95lb Akita. Her score this season: 2 squirrels and 1 duck. Last season score was 3 squirrels? and 2 ducks. This is all in our back yard (big lot).

Yes, she catches 'em.

Its funny, she just kinda saunters around, usually, like you would imagine a lazy St. Bernard. But when she sprints, she's blindingly fast. The kids call it "psycho mode". She does a few laps a day, squirrels or no, to keep up her conditioning. Usually part of the "chase a stick" routine.

I think she lulls the squirrels into a false sense of security with the lazy routine and just runs 'em down. Of course, her two kills are a low percentage--she does several chases a day.

You know how when you blow a shot at a coyote, and it goes into a full blown sprint?? They're body get's real low to the ground, they lean way into it, and their legs are a blurr?? That's how our Terrier runs. She only runs like this when she's chasing something living. For a ball she runs fast, but not like this.
We used to take her to the beach in Washington, and she would chase seagulls. Seagulls don't fly very fast, or gain altitude, she would chase them and they'd fly right above her about 3 feet in the air, and she would run down the beach jumping at them:) My next dog is going to be a REAL hunting dog though!

This is the official varmint extermination machine. The cartoon were true. That hairy dog that can't see always kicks the poop our of Wyle E Coyote. Mine, his name is Marley, split a coyote in two when he was just a pup. These are the most fearless creatures I have ever seen.

Robert

rock.jpg

I've got two miniture weiner-dogs. One male and One female...both snipped and all. The male is about 15 lbs. and that is rather big for his breed.

Anyway, I love when rabbits come into our back yard. He runs faster than a rabbit. And he is just as agile. It's the funniest thing you'll ever witness. Those little legs and long body are just a blur.

In 2000 he claimed two rabbits. He chases them down and grabs them around the neck with his long mouth and slaps them back and forth until they are dead, dead, dead.

Weener-dogs are impressive as hunter/killer dogs. I think that they were originally bred to go down badger holes and bring the badger back up.

Regards,
MP

My dog a black lab/springer mix tries but he hasn't caught any squirrels yet. We also had a pure bred springer, female that would kill cats that came into the yard. My friend had a rottweiller that would crush the bones of oppossum's, shake them and then throw them away. Those mops(Komondor's) really are fearless dogs. Friend had two of them that were quite impressive.

Squirrel Chases Dog!!

My widowed aunt got stuck with taking in and caring for her Granddaughters St. Bernard. The dog ate "everything" including the scren door and the hoses off of her gas BBQ.

But she said the funniest thing she ever saw was the day the dog took out after a squirrel that had had enough of big dogs chasing him. He climbed the face of that dog and rode him like a jockey around the yard. The St. Bernard ended up on top of the picnic table with the squirrel walking around the table chattering at the dog and daring him to come down and fight like a man or squirrel if you will. She told me that the squirrel had that stupid dog on that table for 15 minutes before it finally walked off still scolding the dog and daring him to come down. She said she laughed so hard her ribs were sore the next day.
:D

Hey BadMedicine,

The fu fu mop dog has a reputation to those that indulge in the canine world. Fearless and aggressive are the first two words that come to mind to anyone that has experience with this breed. Even my local forest fuzz knew exactly what Marley was and what he does and won't allow him in the forest. Was told by them that if I'm caught with the dog off a leash and a firearm, I would be issued a citation for hunting (or poaching!)with dogs, under Oregon law that prohibits the use of dogs while hunting. Officer Betty called him a natural born killer and damaging to wildlife.

Our 80 lb weimaraner quivers when he looks out in the back yard and sees a squirrel.

Once he was out in the yard standing still as a statue. A squirrel jumped off the fence into the yard right in front of him. He was on it. The little creature fought for it's life, and was able to escape with the help of my wife yelling at the dog from the house. Squirrel limped away, dog's nose was all scratched up.

If the wife hadn't interfered, I'm sure some squirrel family would have been fatherless.

In its youth, my Grandfather's beagle Brownie could catch birds in flight. One quick pooch. Lovingly referred to a s a "SaberTooth Beagle".

My blue healer (~45 lbs) is kept in my back yard, 2 acres of rocks and woods, with a radio collar. She catches, and eats, squirrels (grey and ground), opossoms, racoons, morning doves, starlings, etc. She is very quick. You should hear the battle when she corners a racoon, those things can be vicious. Yes I keep her rabies and heartworm meds current.

I had a springer that would catch small birds on the wing.. stalk them like a cat with his nose low to the ground and ZAP instant sparrow flavored chewing gum. he was a damn good bird dog, I still miss him sometimes. Good boy Bear. (sigh)

Rob

My boxer got lucky and caught a possum once. My brittany tracks rabbits, but none of my dogs I have owned over the years could catch a rabbit. Only dog I saw that could catch rabbits all the time was a neighbors beagle, who got em all the time. Glad to see the Dachshund can get em too.

I had a Doberman that would sometimes catch squirrels. The squirrels would eat birdseed out of a bird feeder that was about 10 feet from a fence. The dog had about 50 feet to go. He would always just barely miss the squirrels as they climbed the fence. But he would run along below them and jump into the fence - he knocked quite a few off on his side. He knew exactly what to do with them when he caught them :).

We once had an airdale that was playing with a rat, the rat bit the airdale on the nose, and the airdale went nuts. From then until her death we never had a rat, mole, coon, opossum, skunk, stay cat, or anything around our yard and farm lot. She killed everything that invaded her place, no exceptions. She once killed a very large, very aggrivated, ground hog, and never even got scratched. Dads said the ground hogs teeth were popping so fast that it sounded like an automatic .22 and that airdale just ran up and kiled it dead. Sure do miss that dog.
CS

'Got a little Shi-Tzu that caught a flying squirrel that got trapped on the closed in porch. Now she thinks she's a bad a$$! 'Had a Boxer that chased squirrels until one turned and chomped into his nose. 'Sounded like a little girl screamin'. Sheesh. Big baby.

My little American Eskimo has caught up with at least two possum. One played dead. The other stood his ground, leering evilly. This was out at Spartacuses' family's cabin, so I had my Sub-9 on me (coyotes, you know). Was talking myself into letting the critter go when he growled at me...Blam!

Stardust has been known to be right behind squirrels when they hit the tree, and stands on her hind legs, trying to climb after them. If she was close enough, she starts a loud, shrill, frantic whine- a virtual little doggy ecstatic fit- or something. ;)

When I lived in Roswell, I noticed that Stardust's food seemed to be disappearing very rapidly from her bowl outside. I finally saw some paw prints around her food in the garage. Figured it was a cat. Well, one night, I'm opening the rear porch door to let her out. She bolts out, right after a big coon. He was nearly as big as she was...He made the tree before she caught him, but he turned around, a few feet up, with a mean glimmer in his eye, and came back down the tree after her.

Now, understand, my little 22-lb dog has been ambushed and royally whupped by a little juvenile cat. We were walking in our apartment complex one night (a year previous) when this cute but skinny little kitty jumps out of the bushes, and does that "whirlwind of destruction" move on my dog. Stardust was on a leash, and tried to run, but we were close to a fire hydrant, and her leash was tangled. So, my dog is running in circles around the hydrant, screaming at the top of her lungs, while kitty kicks her @ss, but good. Took me a minute or two to get myself in between. After I took my shaking, crying, dog home, I went back out. I found the cat. I followed the cat up the tree. I was gonna kill the little bastard for the unprovoked attack on my dog. Had the cat at max height in tree, with my big CS folder ready for the draw cut, but that little cat just froze. Good for him- you remember the possum.

So, anyway, I had no illusions who was going to win the fight, a 15-lb coon with an attitude, or my little Malibu Barbi of a dog. I ran back inside, to my room, and was paralyzed- which firearm to choose? Mr. Glock was handy, but after I second, I thought I should go for as little noise as possible, just to avoid dealing with the hassle of a police visit. I settled on my 10/22, and frantically thumbed in some Dynamit Nobel subsonics, and ran toward the back door, with a bad feeling in my stomach.

Stardust is standing expectantly at the back door (I'm a good girl, daddy! Look what I did! This is MY yard! Who's house is it?), fluffy tail wagging. Not a scratch on her, that I could find. Well, we all have something to be thankful for...

Back