Does this recoil any worse than a 22LR?

Most likely Leupold dual dove tail. They are either Leupold or a copy. Those bases and rings are unreal strong. For all practical purposes, they are one piece.
That's what I figured. I kinda wanted to check the tightness of the mount screws into the receiver but the top ring halves are torqued and/or loktited so hard I don't want to risk messing them up, I'm going to guess (hope) the base screws are in securely as well. The 5 shot group I shot looks like probably the optics system is secure.

Rhino? He gonna eat that rhino? Or just go kill it so he can mount its head on his wall?
This a loaded issue from the point of view of ethics which I'm not really qualified to comment on from an informed point of view. From what I understand, getting any part of the animal out of the country is extremely difficult so hunters typically donate the meat to locals. My friend is aware of the illicit ivory trade and trafficking of tusks--and is the reason he refuses to take elephants. Trophy hunting isn't for me personally and I won't kill anything that I don't intend to eat, but done responsibly, legally and in controlled guided circumstances that benefit the locals--I'm not going to judge it.

I have concerns about why the bore fouls up so badly so fast
First thing I would look at is jacket material on those big bullets. You might try copper solvent followed by a light pass with JB Bore Paste or steel wool to take some rough spots out, then Militec the bore. I Militec the bores on all my rifles, makes them slick slick slick. Heat in an oven, apply Militec-1 oil to a CLEAN bore, bake for 1 hour. Leaves a dry lube behind for several hundred rounds IME.

You have a bore scope, take a look at where it is fouling. Throat? Soft jackets or rough throat. End of the bore? Velocity or bore roughness. In the edges of the rifling? Often it's sharp edges or rough spots.

First thing I would look at is jacket material on those big bullets. You might try copper solvent followed by a light pass with JB Bore Paste or steel wool to take some rough spots out, then Militec the bore. I Militec the bores on all my rifles, makes them slick slick slick. Heat in an oven, apply Militec-1 oil to a CLEAN bore, bake for 1 hour. Leaves a dry lube behind for several hundred rounds IME.

You have a bore scope, take a look at where it is fouling. Throat? Soft jackets or rough throat. End of the bore? Velocity or bore roughness. In the edges of the rifling? Often it's sharp edges or rough spots.
I've gotten the bore clean (I too have millitec) and the real issue is why it's happening. After finally getting through all the "layered cake" I discovered mild pitting down the rifling for a large part of the barrel's length, almost certainly the cause of the copper fouling. I had a conversation with the folks at Weatherby and we came to the conclusion that more than likely moisture was attracted to the carbon build up over time (years) and started incipient rust/corrosion. There's lots of hunters out there who believe they should never clean their bores as long as they are getting accuracy out of their rifle. I'm not one of them. My friend and I both live in Maine, which is itself a very hard environment on anything--the moment you drive a new car or truck off the lot it starts dissolving.:)

I've found a PAST recoil pad on my shoulder really helps shooting my Mil-surps that have steel butt plates. 303's and 7.62x 54 really give you a pop with no cushion. I've shot 50 BMG and the muzzle brake is the secret there, don't know if that will work for this project.
I shoot 300 wby's both with and without the Accubrake, I don't notice all that much difference in recoil reduction--maybe on the order of 20% or so--but there most definitely is a benefit in reduction in the propensity for muzzle jump IMO--that is without a doubt a great thing to have if you need a quick follow-up. It might be the more powerful .416 gets greater reduction in felt recoil, my honest opinion is the rifle as equipped from Weatherby hits about as hard as a stout 45-70 but is more controllable. I don't think additional padding is necessary, those guys at Weatherby designed a perfect big/dangerous game rifle IMO.

I Militec the bores on all my rifles, makes them slick slick slick. Heat in an oven, apply Militec-1 oil to a CLEAN bore, bake for 1 hour.

In regards to millitec--I have used it on several of my personal barrels--but at least in my barrels it seems to change the color tone of the bore surface once you "fire lap" it into your bore, I find that makes it confusing for me to decipher whether or not it's a residue deposit.

Last edited:

Yep. Monolithic solids can do some wicked fouling very fast. I shot some Federal Premium jacketed Tungsten solids in a 416 Rigby and it took me weeks of soaking to get whatever that particular alloy CU jacket material out.

I just got back from shooting it and the 300 wby mag. The .416 is actually quite accurate once I got a really good hold on it--meaning you need to pull in to help mitigate the kick but at the same time be careful not to put sideways leverage on the rifle. I bet it could shoot MOA or less at 100 yds with 3 shots per Weatherby's guarantee. I hit the bulls once I sorted that out. I've determined the pitting down in the rifling has little to no effect on the rifle's accuracy, but is something to watch and not let fouling build up over time without cleaning every time after shooting. Unclenick made an excellent suggestion of a "fire lap lite" with NECO grit paste applied to cast bullets, I'll try that after my friend returns from his hunt.

I've spent about 4 hours cleaning the same long copper streaks after 4 shots--probably have to spend at least that much more tomorrow. Cleaning is no fun.

Last edited:
I just got back from shooting it and the 300 wby mag. The .416 is actually quite accurate once I got a really good hold on it--meaning you need to pull in to help mitigate the kick but at the same time be careful not to put sideways leverage on the rifle. I bet it could shoot MOA or less at 100 yds with 3 shots per Weatherby's guarantee. I hit the bulls once I sorted that out. I've determined the pitting down in the rifling has little to no effect on the rifle's accuracy, but is something to watch and not let fouling build up over time without cleaning every time after shooting. Unclenick made an excellent suggestion of a "fire lap lite" with NECO grit paste applied to cast bullets, I'll try that after my friend returns from his hunt.

I've spent about 4 hours cleaning the same long copper streaks after 4 shots--probably have to spend at least that much more tomorrow. Cleaning is no fun.
Most of the big, slow rifles shoot better moderately CU fouled than clean.

When shooting the big bores, throw all benchrest techniques out the window. Wrap your hand around stock and barrel and squeeze tight. I read that from Elmer Keith. It upset my apple cart, but that's definitely the way to shoot them.

It's not that slow--even the bigger bullets are going around 2700 fps. The problem with "let it foul" is allowing a build-up to trap potential rust /corrosion action by attracting moisture over time--which is exactly what I think happened to this rifle. It can also be hard to tell just how much build-up there is; I've cleaned barrels many times and was fooled by the color of the bore when I thought the job was done, only to break through to a new layer of shiny copper.

Holding tight and pulling in fairly hard is a matter of self-preservation with the bigger recoiling cartridges in my experience, you're probably going to get hurt if you don't. This Weatherby Mark 5 is very well made and balanced IMO, around 9 pounds weight with meat in the right places to get a really good hold and shoot steady. Keeping the recoil impact from getting a "running start" is key to making the felt recoil very tolerable IMO--along with the Accubrake which I'm sure helps helps reduce muzzle jump as well. I genuinely enjoy shooting this rifle, making big holes with big bullets going fast is kinda fun (though expensive).;)

Last edited:
It's not that slow--even the bigger bullets are going around 2700 fps. The problem with "let it foul" is allowing a build-up to trap potential rust /corrosion action by attracting moisture over time--which is exactly what I think happened to this rifle. It can also be hard to tell just how much build-up there is; I've cleaned barrels many times and was fooled by the color of the bore when I thought the job was done, only to break through to a new layer of shiny copper.

Holding tight and pulling in fairly hard is a matter of self-preservation with the bigger recoiling cartridges in my experience, you're probably going to get hurt if you don't. This Weatherby Mark 5 is very well made and balanced IMO, around 9 pounds weight with meat in the right places to get a really good hold and shoot steady. Keeping the recoil impact from getting a "running start" is key to making the felt recoil very tolerable IMO--along with the Accubrake which I'm sure helps helps reduce muzzle jump as well. I genuinely enjoy shooting this rifle, making big holes with big bullets going fast is kinda fun (though expensive).;)
I am talking about wrapping your fingers around the barrel on your foreend grip and squeezing tight.
I understand your concerns about rust. I believe you over thinking it. Those rifles become almost self cleaning. They don't get themselves "clean" but you can shoot them and shoot them and shoot them before cleaning. If it's really bugging you, thought about fire lapping it? I am not a huge fan of it, but it's about the only option.

I am talking about wrapping your fingers around the barrel on your foreend grip and squeezing tight.
I understand your concerns about rust. I believe you over thinking it. Those rifles become almost self cleaning. They don't get themselves "clean" but you can shoot them and shoot them and shoot them before cleaning. If it's really bugging you, thought about fire lapping it? I am not a huge fan of it, but it's about the only option.
I believe every rifle is different, some foul up worse than others, some tolerate fouling more than others etc. This is literally a one shot, one kill rifle--or else the shooter himself may possibly end up the prey. I don't know how else to treat this other than the first cold bore shot must be as close to perfect as possible. I'm confident right now that I could hit the POA within an inch or so with the rifle cold, maybe even right on the POA. A foreend grip all the way around the barrel sounds a bit extreme to me and unnecessary with this particular rifle, I suspect an adrenaline-fueled death grip could very well cause a barrel pressure point distorting the bullet's path through and out the bore. Not saying you're wrong, just what I've observed shooting this particular rifle.

I believe every rifle is different, some foul up worse than others, some tolerate fouling more than others etc. This is literally a one shot, one kill rifle--or else the shooter himself may possibly end up the prey. I don't know how else to treat this other than the first cold bore shot must be as close to perfect as possible. I'm confident right now that I could hit the POA within an inch or so with the rifle cold, maybe even right on the POA. A foreend grip all the way around the barrel sounds a bit extreme to me and unnecessary with this particular rifle, I suspect an adrenaline-fueled death grip could very well cause a barrel pressure point distorting the bullet's path through and out the bore. Not saying you're wrong, just what I've observed shooting this particular rifle.
I had your exact same thoughts about accuracy/pressure. Dangerous game rifles have their own set of rules. Accuracy is not nearly as vital in them as it is in other rifles. The vital areas are huge. How accurate were the old Holland and Holland doubles that killed countless thousands of the original big 3? I used to work for a man who killed 4 elephants, 3 lions, countless cape Buffalo. 1 or 2 Rinos. His 375 H&H double would shoot 4" at 100. 458 Win was about a 3" at 100 rifle. 416 Rigby was around 4". 460 Wby would shoot 1.5" but he never took it to Africa.

By the time I got to know him, elephants, Rinos, and lions were a thing of the past. He would still go every couple years and shoot a "Nyati" and a bunch of plains game. I had the Wby at one time. Still have the Ruger #1 Rugby. He bought it for his last trip and killed a Nyati with it.

Back