Does this recoil any worse than a 22LR?

stagpanther

My next project; getting a rifle ready to go to Africa for a Big 3 hunt, in this case using a 400 gr dangerous game roundnose in 416 Weatherby Magnum. Never fired anything quite this powerful before.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5142.jpg
    IMG_5142.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 540
Well, you will shade my 416 Rem Mag by about 300 fps. I imagine that will loosen your fillings. Seriously, I think your biggest issue could be bullets. In anything besides solids, make sure the bullet is rated for that velocity. I've been doing load workups shooting the Rem Mag out of one of the new Portuguese Model 70s off the bench. Yeah, it's no 22 (or 338 Win Mag), but it is shootable.

The rifle and cartridge are going up against a rhino inside of 100 yds. This is Weatherby's own high velocity 400 gr norma roundnose. This cartridge makes even my 338 lapua magnum look a bit diminutive. Oh--I didn't make it clear-- I'm not personally going, I'm doing this for a friend who likes me tuning his rifles.

Last edited:
Weatherby ammo? That's no fun. Shoot up the commercial for practice, and get to work with some nice slow powder and some Swift A-frames!

Weatherby ammo? That's no fun. Shoot up the commercial for practice, and get to work with some nice slow powder and some Swift A-frames!
I've worked up some really good loads in the past for 270 and 300 Weatherby and I have shot their premium factory ammo for these other calibers and generally it is very good, I especially like their partition loads. It's important to me to get as close as I can to tuning everything for exactly what he'll be using and doing with it. He's getting advice from his professional guide on what to use--I assume the norma roundnose is up to the task over the ttsx solid monolithic which is the other choice.

Keep the rifle tight, very tight, in your shoulder. I set one up once for a fellow who went by Kastaway Kulis (Joe Kulis) for an Alaskan hunt. Thank God I had it sighted in after 10 rounds. I was close at 5 and the scope shifted so I had to torque it down again. I have small shoulders with little meat and I can honestly say it was the most punishing rifle I have ever shot. So yeah, just a tad more than a 22 rimfire. :) If you have to scope it make sure you torque the scope to specifications and I used Loctite blue.

Ron

Keep the rifle tight, very tight, in your shoulder. I set one up once for a fellow who went by Kastaway Kulis (Joe Kulis) for an Alaskan hunt. Thank God I had it sighted in after 10 rounds. I was close at 5 and the scope shifted so I had to torque it down again. I have small shoulders with little meat and I can honestly say it was the most punishing rifle I have ever shot. So yeah, just a tad more than a 22 rimfire. If you have to scope it make sure you torque the scope to specifications and I used Loctite blue.

Ron
I have a 375 ruger which is a bit of a thumper--it too you have to draw tight or else might get sucker-punched between the eyes by the scope. I am definitely going to double check everything on the 416 Weatherby to make sure it can take the recoil punishment (hopefully I can too) though I doubt he'll take more than a few shots with it. I think we're setting a zero of 80 yards. Guy has nerves of steel to be taking dangerous game that close, especially if it's charging.

My .450 Marlin (Winchester Timber Carbine) tends to give me some love above the eyebrow if I don't pay attention. Only gun I've owned that has given me a scope cut. Post pics, I'll likely never go back to Africa (work related) but I'd love to see your friends hunt.

I recently acquired a .375 H&H CZ, shot 20 rounds 300 grain SP at 2590 fp/s. Kicks nearly twice as hard as a 12 gauge shotgun, standing. I have yet to shoot it from the bench, but I'm really not looking forward to it. :o

My .450 Marlin (Winchester Timber Carbine) tends to give me some love above the eyebrow if I don't pay attention. Only gun I've owned that has given me a scope cut. Post pics, I'll likely never go back to Africa (work related) but I'd love to see your friends hunt.
I'll ask him if it's OK, if he's up for it I'll post.
I recently acquired a .375 H&H CZ, shot 20 rounds 300 grain SP at 2590 fp/s. Kicks nearly twice as hard as a 12 gauge shotgun, standing. I have yet to shoot it from the bench, but I'm really not looking forward to it.
That's pretty much the same as the 375 ruger--just pull in and even from the bench reasonably manageable recoil. though I wouldn't want to shoot it all day (done 10 shots in one sitting).

I just took my first look at the rifle--very nice Mark 5 select grade stock. It looks like it has those twist lock base/rings which I personally am not very fond of, especially on higher recoiling weatherbys. It looks like it's been fired very few times judging by the absence of any notable wear on the bolt lugs and breech face. It also looks like it has never been cleaned, with multiple layers of carbon and copper in the bore. Has a Swarovski 1.5 x 6 x 42 scope which looks like a good choice for the job of a scope that needs to be brought to bear quick without needing to fiddle with anything. Turrets are metric though.:)

Last edited:
Does this recoil any worse than a 22LR?
Not really. You should be able to fire a box of 50 of those and do it again the next day just like you can with 22LR.

[But, if you do, let us know which hospital to send the flowers to. ;) ]

Never fired a 416 Weatherby, but I've fired 378 Weatherby, 416 Remington and 416 Rigby, so no, it won't recoil any worse than a good 22LR.:rolleyes:

Sounds like somebody's bored and wants to take it out on poor sad-eyed soft fuzzy beasties.:rolleyes: You should know better, stagpanther. If you feel bad, I'll do it for you.:D You provide the ammo, please.

I haven't been to Africa yet (thanks, COVID), but a customer of mine that goes every couple of years just takes his 338 anymore. One rifle, easier to get through customs with, and kills everything just dead. I was just going to take my 375 if I had actually made it last year.
It looks like it's been fired very few times
LOL That's how I got my 8mm Rem Mag years ago. Like-new, Leupold 3.5-10, 3 boxes of factory ammo minus 3 rounds. It kicked like a tame mule. Guy I got it from must not have been into physical abuse.

From what I've read, the .416's are pretty much agreed upon as the ideal caliber for big 5 hunts. I've often wondered with the right bullet, like a Maker, Woodleigh or Lehigh--something like the 338 LM would be deadly on even the toughest big 5--even at longer ranges. It's really a comparatively soft recoiling cartridge for so much power IMO. But 400 grs of .416 traveling at 2700 fps--that's got to be "persuasive."

Last edited:
I really like the ergonomics of the stock, they give you a nice flat on the bottom of the foreend to rest on something while still maintaining a good hold. The 9 lug bolt is massive, the only thing that gives me pause for thought is the rather dinky looking AR style extractor--but I'm not the one taking the shot at the animal so what do I know. I've never taken a Weatherby radial 9 lug bolt apart so I don't know what the internal construction features are. This particular rifle I'm going to get the bore clean (that's a major battle so far, that stuff is really baked in hard) and double check the optics mount. I personally don't like the rings, they remind me of Leupold's standard rings and I'm guessing the rifle even in a padded case is going to take a lot of jarring just getting to the hunt.

Last edited:
So, as an aside, which Big 5 are you going for? Leopard/lion/buffalo/rhino/elephant was the traditional Big 5, but some are substituting hippo for rhino and other replacements. With the restrictions imposed by CITES treaty restrictions on importing leopard, rhino and elephant parts I would ask if it's really worth the hassle?

So, as an aside, which Big 5 are you going for? Leopard/lion/buffalo/rhino/elephant was the traditional Big 5, but some are substituting hippo for rhino and other replacements. With the restrictions imposed by CITES treaty restrictions on importing leopard, rhino and elephant parts I would ask if it's really worth the hassle?
AsI said, it's not me but my friend who is going after rhino. He's accelerated the trip because of the looming ban on taking them. He already has taken the rest of the big 5--actually big 7 which includes the big bears. The only one he won't take is elephant, even he draws the line there.

Back