Does the 2nd apply to the states

Status
Not open for further replies.
The States are the Boogieman ... Slavery, Jim Crow, the Colfax Massacre, and the Civil Rights Movement
It is my understanding that some southern states, at least South Carolina, had more slaves than citizens, while states in other regions were typically something like 99.9% white ... it makes sense to me that a State that was 99.9% white would be more likely to end slavery, end Jim Crow laws, prosecute the Colfax Massacre, and have a Civil Rights Movement ... and it seems to follow that if such things were nationalized i.e. left up to the many States that the results would benefit negroes ... maybe the States have been the boogieman of negroes because of the fact that negroes have been concentrated in one region ... maybe the federal government is the saviour of negroes ... but from my perspective, the States are the bulwark of liberty, and the federal government is way too big for its britches.

It was suggested that Illinois voters should vote out the politicians - pretty hard to do when the dead vote, when illegals vote, when precincts in Chicago report more than 100 percent voter turn out, when ballot boxes disappear or are mysteriously found.
I find it hard to believe that the people of Chicago or Illinois are fed up with their gun laws, voting for representatives who will change their gun laws, only the elections are rigged and they get anti-gun representatives anyway. But if it's true, then that might be a case for federal intervention.

But then they should just move - abandon family land and family, surrender their state, culture, and communties to corrupt politicians - runaway with their tails between their legs. Some choose to fight - some fought by going to the courts and asking that a basic and fundamental individual right be enforced by the federal government as it has enforced other such basic rights contained in the bill of rights.
I could respect that if not for the agenda to incorporate ... they might have gone with Pressser, which said that regardless of the Second Amendment no State could ban guns, and got them to expand on that and say that regardless of the Second Amendment Chicago cannot ban handguns. I think the incorporation approach is part of an agenda, and I think the agenda is to further subvert our federal/state relationship.

Originally posted by Hugh Damright
Quote:
Basically, all McDonald says is that if the feds can't do it, neither can the states or cities.

I am not aware that McDonald says anything of that nature ... I think the rule remains that federal gun laws are generally unconstitutional because the feds are not delegated gun control powers, while state gun laws are generally constitutional because police powers are reserved to the states ... McDonald means that that the Fourteenth Amendment limits the States' gun control powers, but I am not aware that it reduces them to the same level as federal gun control powers ... and if incorporation were to bind the States the way the federal government is bound, it seems as though the States would be bound to tight to maintain a society and culture.

First, please don't misunderstand. McDonald does not mean that the states must automatically conform to the exact same gun laws as the feds. What it does say is that any gun law which would be unconstitutional at the federal level is also unconstitutional at the state level. It is not unconcievable that the federal government could pass new gun control laws which would be found constitutional like microstamping, a new AWB, or registration. SCOTUS has never ruled on such measures so we really don't know if they would be found constitutional or not.

Where the federal government's power is most limited over that of the states is that it must draw much larger and diverse support for any measure that it wishes to pass. While very restrictive gun laws may be relatively easy to pass in New York, they are not so easy to pass in Texas. Texas has no say over what laws New York passes, but Texas and all the rest of the states do have a say in what laws the federal government passes.

Quote:
the Court decisively held that incorporated Bill of Rights protections “are all to be enforced against the States under the Fourteenth Amendment according to the same standards that protect those personal rights against federal encroachment.”

I find there are two ways to read this .. in one construction, if the Second Amendment prevents the US from banning handguns in a federal district like DC, then it also prevents a city/state from banning handguns like in Chicago ... this construction makes some sense to me and seems to fit the Heller/McDonald cases ... in the other construction, if the US has no general gun control powers over Virginia, no jurisdiction over CCW for example, then Virginia also has no general gun control powers over Virginia, such as jurisdiction over CCW ... this construction seems nonsensical to me.

The reason that the second construction is nonsensical is because it is inaccurate. The Federal Government does have some gun control powers over Virginia and the rest of the states. For example, federal laws states that no one, regardless of their state of residence, may own a firearm if they have been convicted of a felony or deemed mentally unstable. SCOTUS pretty explicitly stated in both the Heller and McDonald cases that such a restricition is constitutional. The problem with your second construction is that it's an all or nothing proposition: either the gov't has unlimited power to regulate guns or they have no power at all.

Quote:
this Court decades ago abandoned “the notion that the Fourteenth Amendment applies to the States only a watered-down, subjective version of the individual guarantees of the Bill of Rights,”

I don't see how that is the issue ... police powers were reserved to the States, and these include gun control powers ... if the federal government is not empowered with jurisdiction over gun laws in Virginia, e.g. they cannot require a CCW permit, and Virginia requires a permit to CCW, that is not a watered-down right ... the US might prohibit CCW in a federal district such as DC, and Virginia might prohibit CCW, but y'all seem to construe it to mean that if the US cannot prohibit CCW in Virginia then Virginia cannot prohibit CCW in Virginia.

Again, you're looking at this in an "all or nothing" sense. The Federal government does indeed have some jurisdiction over the gun laws of the states, just not unlimited jurisdiction. I have yet to see anything that would suggest that nationwide CCW standards would necessarily be unconstitutional.

Originally posted by Some Dude
You said (in post #103) "All that McDonald really says is that state laws regarding 2A are now subject to the same level of constitutional scrutiny that federal laws are under Heller."

You also stated "Basically, all McDonald says is that if the feds can't do it neither can the states or cities."

Allow me to build my case. Read Art. I Sec. 8, then Art.I Sec.9, then the 2nd Amendment, then 9A and 10A, then read the two quotes above.

My assertion is the Chicago gun ban is an issue to be addressed by the citizens of Chicago at the city and/or county level directly, and the citizens of Illinois outside of Chicago at the state level. The people who live there vote for their elected government. If gun grabbers keep getting elected - who's fault is it?!

I think you're missing the point of my post. My point was that the federal government has no more power to enact stricter gun control laws that it did before McDonald. Any gun control law enacted at the federal level (such as the hypothetical caliber ban you mentioned earlier) would still be subject to 2A scrutiny under Heller.

Also, I think you may fail to understand the politics of both the city of Chicago and the state of Illinois. Because of its large population, Chicago holds a dispraportionate sway over the politics of the rest of the state of Illinois. People not familiar with the state are often suprised to learn that most of the state is actually quite conservative as opposed to the very liberal city of Chicago (I've seen this firsthand as I grew up in central Illinois and still visit fairly frequently as I still have family there).

Chicago is a notoriously corrupt city and its corruption and failing policies are often spread to the rest of the state due to its political sway. However, because IL politics are so lopsided, non-Chicago IL residents are effected by Chicago's corruption yet are largely powerless to do anything about it.

This type of situation is precisely why the 14th Amendment was ratified. The southern states at the time were violating the rights of blacks in rather flagrant ways. However, because the political power of blacks was unfairly removed through both Jim Crow laws, intimidation, and retribution they were basically powerless to do anything about the violation of their rights. As violations of fundemental civil rights became more and more flagrant, it became apparent that some restriction needed to be placed on the states. Because the federal government did not, at the time, have sufficient power to do so, the power was granted to it through a constitutional amendment.

Now, if you want to debate the merits and drawbacks of the 14th Amendment, you're welcome to do so. However, incorporation through the 14th Amendment is most certainly constitutional as the 14th is just as much a part of the constitution as the 1st, 2nd, 9th, 10th, or any of the other Amendments are. It seems as though you are trying to champion States' Rights over the power of the Federal Government, but the rights of the states has been waning since the Civil War

Last edited:
Maestro

Was the 14th amendment REALLY ratified? I'm not being a smart aleck here, that is a serious question. I know the powers that be say it was ratified, but Dr. Kevin R.C. Gutzman would argue with you over that.

http://mises.org/daily/2657

The website for the article in total. The pertinent paragraphs quoted below:

"One final example of Gutzman's constitutional iconoclasm must here suffice. The Supreme Court has used the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment as its principal instrument to eviscerate state sovereignty. Various decisions of the Court have held, e.g., that the Amendment applies the restrictions of the Bill of Rights to the states.

Gutzman rejects this view in the most radical way possible. He holds that the Fourteenth Amendment was never legally adopted. Congress required the Southern states to ratify the Amendment as a condition for readmission to the Union. But this is blatantly illegal: if the legislatures who "ratified" under duress were not already valid representatives of existing state governments, their votes had no legal effect. Our author concludes: "Thus, the Fourteenth Amendment was never constitutionally proposed to the states by Congress and never constitutionally ratified by the states, and yet today it stands (after the Constitution's structural provisions) as the most significant part of the American legal system" (p. 133)."

If you want to argue with Dr. Gutzman go ahead. Most of my argument on this subject comes from his literature that I have studied.

And in case you want to challenge his credibility you can do that to. Here it is...

"Kevin R. C. Gutzman is an American historian, Constitutional scholar, and New York Times bestselling author of three books, Who Killed the Constitution? The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution (co-authored with Tom Woods) and Virginia's American Revolution: from Dominion to Republic, 1776-1840. An associate professor of history at Western Connecticut State University, Gutzman holds a bachelor's degree, a master of public affairs degree, and a law degree from the University of Texas at Austin, as well as an MA and a PhD in American history from the University of Virginia. (Source: KevinGutzman.com)"

After all has been said Dr. Gutzman is human and is capable of making a mistake. But a mistake as bold, and as out in the open as this, is highly unlikely. One last thought on the subject...

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/...onstitutional-historian-kevin-gutzman-defends

"The Incorporation Doctrine is a bogus left-wing invention that has been used for almost uniformly pernicious purposes since it saw the light of day 7 decades ago. Under the Incorporation Doctrine (the idea that federal courts can use twisted readings of their favorite Bill of Rights provisions against the states), federal courts have made flag burning a right, banned capital punishment in general, banned capital punishment of child rapists, banned school prayer, excluded certain evidence against criminal defendants, banned Nativity Scenes from public places, et cetera. And now you want them to apply this same unconstitutional doctrine to a new area of law."

Now you know why I question the assertion that the 14th A. incorporates the BOR to the states, when the BOR in fact limits the Federal Gov't.

Later,
Some_Dude

any gun law which would be unconstitutional at the federal level is also unconstitutional at the state level.
I disagree. I think we all disagree.

Where the federal government's power is most limited over that of the states is that it must draw much larger and diverse support for any measure that it wishes to pass. While very restrictive gun laws may be relatively easy to pass in New York, they are not so easy to pass in Texas. Texas has no say over what laws New York passes, but Texas and all the rest of the states do have a say in what laws the federal government passes.
The federal government's power is most limited by the separation of state and federal powers, not by having a larger and more diverse constituency.

Sure, New York might think that they need their gun laws decided by a Congress with Texas, but why would Texans consent to having their gun laws decided by a Congress with New York? I don't think the States have ever consented to what you describe i.e. the federal government having general national gun control powers equal to the States gun control powers.

Men whose opinions I respect, such as James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, and Robert E. Lee, said that this vision of consolidation can only end in despotism ... if we leave it up to the US to pass national gun laws, then they will not be good gun laws because of the large and diverse constituency, they will be despotic because the US is too vast an area to be under a consolidated government ... you may as well say that we should leave gun control up to world government, then we'd really have a large and diverse constituency.

The Federal Government does have some gun control powers over Virginia and the rest of the states. For example, federal laws states that no one, regardless of their state of residence, may own a firearm if they have been convicted of a felony or deemed mentally unstable.
I don't think US gun laws are evidence of delegated powers, but more often evidence of exercising undelegated powers. They typically try to say that the interstate commerce clause empowers them to pass gun control laws. I think we know better.

Antipitas said:
So a majority of Virginians can vote to deny fundamental rights to other Virginians, just because they are the majority?

Why not? That is precisely what a sufficient majority of Americans can do under Article V of the Constitution. The only thing that precludes that end is obtaining a sufficient majority of people whose moral compasses have shifted far enough from what prevails today.

Why not? That is precisely what a sufficient majority of Americans can do under Article V of the Constitution. The only thing that precludes that end is obtaining a sufficient majority of people whose moral compasses have shifted far enough from what prevails today.

It is a super majority, not a simple majority.

It was set up that way to make the process difficult, and requiring large amounts of public support.

It is a super majority, not a simple majority.

It was set up that way to make the process difficult, and requiring large amounts of public support.

But 3/4 of the States can equate to a minority of the people. I think the "worst case" is that it would be about 40% of the people. Also, I think 95% of the people of the US might want an amendment but not equate to 3/4 of the States.

Maestro?
Antipatis?

Are you guys researching the 14th Amendment? If you are maybe you can tell me if the following statement is true.

(I know I have read this before I just can't find a source to cite, and I don't want to assert something I can't prove. Since I can't prove it I will have to call it hearsay or rumor.)

When the 14th was "ratified" ,9 july 1868, 21 states ratified the amendment. Problem is at that time in American History 28 states were needed to meet the "3/4 of the several states" requirement. Can you help me out on this one? Thanks.

Later,
Some_Dude

Ive read this whole thread and can only ask...

Why is it still open
Don't know, since the Supreme Court pretty much answered this question.

Not in the way I'd have preferred, but for all intents and purposes, it's been answered.

But 3/4 of the States can equate to a minority of the people. I think the "worst case" is that it would be about 40% of the people. Also, I think 95% of the people of the US might want an amendment but not equate to 3/4 of the States.

There is not a perfect solution, but the system we have seems to beat out all the others.

'Better is the enemy of good enough.'

If anyone still thinks the 2A doesn't apply to the States ... Well, ya'll had your chance to say something about it.

SCOTUS has ruled it applies.

Asked, answered, and closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back