Does swapping the barrels on a revolver hurt the integrity of a gun?

Keep it as it is, a great gun and the fact that your dad carried it makes it even more special. If you want a 4" or a 6" buy another gun. I have a 2.5" 66 and I have fun shooting it. Try shooting it a few times and you might find it is more accurate to shoot than you thought.

See if you can borrow/rent a 4" 66 and shoot them back to back. For myself a 2.5" or so revolver with good sights can do some pretty impressive shooting, you might be surprised at the actual difference in accuracy. As for the blast, today they offer specific loads for short barreled wheel guns, or you can load your own.:)
Sweet gun, I have one just like it.
And might I add, very much legal, in Texas.;)

I think the issue is that your gun is a valuable gun in original condition.

A real nice 4" of the same era is worth about $600.

To rebarrel and refinish your dad's would be ~$750 and it's final value would be worthless as an original.

I think the issue is that your gun is a valuable gun in original condition.

A real nice 4" of the same era is worth about $600.

To rebarrel and refinish your dad's would be ~$750 and it's final value would be worthless as an original.
The gun is already very valuable to him because it belonged to the old man. I'm quite certain that its value on the secondary market is of little consequence. It also has little value as a collectible because it's been hard chromed.

I don't know where your numbers come from but it should cost a hell of a lot less than $750 to rebarrel it.

APW would charge $95 to fit a barrel, $210 to plate the gun the same all over.
So how much does a takeoff barrel cost? There is one on Gunbroker for $150.
Allow $55 to strip the old plating and you are into it for $500 plus shipping.
But it will look and shoot good.

ITs yours and who am I to tell you what to do with it. If you want my opinion. id shoot light loads with it (38 special) It would also be well served to have a rifle in the same chamber to accompany it ;) had to slip that in!

Back