Does stopping power work both ways?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't want to depend on still being in the fight after you take one.

Here's the mindset:

I will not quit.

Yeah, I might get hit. I might get hurt. I might have to do things I'd rather not do. I might have to force myself to do stuff that seems impossible. But I will not quit.

Unless I am dead, I am still in the fight.

Do not train yourself to quit. Do not train others to quit.

pax

sorry, I wasn't clear.
I didn't mean to say that you should expect to be done if you get hurt, just that it would be unwise to expect being able to keep going as a matter of course.

I would fully expect myself to keep fighting until the lights go out, but I've been caught by enough punches boxing to know the lights can go out earlier than one expects. So, for planning purposes it's best to assume that if you get shot you'll be down - not that you should quit, but that you could very well be unconscious, in shock, or dead.
There are far too many variables resulting for getting shot for it to be worth much effort deciding what you'll do after it happens.

Maybe I wasn't clear.

I accept that I might get hit, but I won't allow myself to quit. If I am alive enough to know I was hit, I am alive enough to choose survival.

That's the mindset.

Of course, if you're not even alive or awake enough to know you were hit, that's a different thing. But I don't think it's helpful to tell people they have permission to just lay there and wait for rescue if they get hit. An overwhelming majority of those shot with handgun bullets survive, as do many of those hit by shotgun or rifle rounds. Equally, a surprising number of people who have survived extreme situations credit their mindset -- refusing to quit -- with their survival. That's the mindset I want for myself, and it's one I want to help other people reach.

Bottom line: I may get hurt. But if I have any say in the matter at all, I'm not going to just lie there and bleed. I'm going to do whatever it takes to get home safe to the people I love.

pax

The main takeaway is that - wait for it - bullets work about the same for the BG as the GG.

Beyond that, it goes something like this: "What do you propose to do to prevent yourself from getting shot/stabbed/clubbed?" If the answer to that question is some variation on "shoot him first" or "the first one to put accurate rounds on target wins!" ... you fail the exercise. Plenty of "inaccurate" hits to peripheral areas (femoral or brachial artery, for instance) have sent people to the morgue. Knowing that you plastered your opponent with 4 solid hits to the thoracic cavity (and then zapped him in the head) will be cold comfort to your widow and children in face of the fact that one of his "spray and pray" rounds tagged your carotid in the middle of the exchange.

Your gun is not a phaser, and it's not a deflector shield either.

The key to surviving an attack is to not get hurt. Being able to utilize your firearm with proficiency is only one piece of the puzzle, and arguably not the most important one.

"but theBG's guns & ammo has no problem striking us down like the Hammer of Thor?.....” SEEKER TWO

“A wide majority of people hit with handgun ammunition survive, as do significant numbers of those hit with rifle and shotgun fire. If you're alive enough to know you were hit, you are alive enough to choose survival: stop the bad guy so he doesn't hit you again, then stanch your bleeding and walk/limp/crawl/drag yourself to a phone where you can call for help. Stay awake and alert until help arrives.

Don't quit. Don't teach others to quit.” PAX

“Seeker you are 100% right, I've said so over and over again, in this forum. As someone who has actually seen the effects of a GSW on a person (Retired nurse) it takes a lot to incapacitate a determined human.
Sometimes only the catastrophic loss of blood is enough and death is the reason for the incapacitation. We used to look at at each other after we would see really severe trauma's from any source and ask ourselves how they even made it to us alive let alone pulled through.
This was not at all unusual. Here is a useful fact to add to this though, the ones who remained conscious and fought for life seemed to be able to take far more damage and live.” SCRUBCEDAR

“On the "good guy" side we have the example of LAPD Officer Stacy Lim who was shot in the chest with a .357 Magnum and still ran down her attacker, returned fire, killed him, survived, and ultimately was able to return to duty.” FRANK ETTIN

If I had any inclination to be a thief, I would run for political office, change the laws and become a legal thief, white collar crime beats violent crime any day of the week.

Unless I was a psychopath, as a thief, I would not want to hurt anyone as it would increase my jail time if caught and I definitely would not want to be hurt, so faced with an armed citizen I would get out of there or give up, however what if you are dealing with a psychopath?

I cannot agree with Pax and ScrubCedar more, the will to live is one of the strongest human drives, don’t ever give up, and I thank Frank Ettin for the info on Stacy Lim, she was incredible as was the other Medal of Valor stories of our Brave Law Enforcement Personnel.

While not civilian, here is a link to You Tube to a Good Guy who never gave up, every American who Loves their Freedom should watch it at least once, after President Reagan’s speech told in his own words, Green Beret Medal of Honor Roy Benavidez, unless you shut down the central nervous system or the heart, determined humans can take an incredible amount of punishment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oUtJxE4sjs

There is no control over what the "bad guy" is going to be armed with so there reallly isnt much of a point in worrying about hyper specifics. I just imagine that it will be something equal to a romulan disrupter and go from there.

[1] Please spell my name correctly. Sorry about the mispelled name

[2] And yes, our focus is handgun rounds. The focus of our discussions is self defense by private citizens, including the carrying of firearms by private citizens for self defense. That most commonly involves handguns. - whatever - my post was relevent to the thread as it was progressing

[3] All the material I cited and quoted very clearly relates to handgun rounds. No it wasnt - if it was I wouldnt have posted it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmedic
...The energy imparted by the bullet has to abide by the law of energy E=MC2 in the world of ballistic energy mass isnt the big dog on the block its Speed because the speed is squared...
[1] And that equation has absolutely nothing to do with the subject we are discussing, nor does it describe ballistic energy.

[2] That equation is useful do describe the energy produced in nuclear reactions when a small amount of matter is lost and is converted to energy.

[3] The factor "c" is not speed. It is rather the speed of light (roughly 186,000 miles/second). The speed of light is a common constant in many equations of physics, and the letter "c" is commonly used in physics equations to refer to the speed of light.

I used that as a general example that evryone knew I dont think the Ek=1/2mv2 would have been as widely known - but it still holds that you get more energy from the speed side of the column as opposed to the size side

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmedic
...Because of that study I carry either MAGSAFES or GLAZERs and will not carry stuff like combat talons because of that studies data....
It is however my understanding that these bullets have very poor reputations for penetration. While they can make ghastly appearing superficial wounds, they sometimes do not adequately penetrate to major blood vessels or blood rich organs.

They dont over-penetrate either - a fast round leaving the body takes energy with it

sfmedic said:
Frank Ettin said:
...All the material I cited and quoted very clearly relates to handgun rounds.
No it wasnt - if it was I wouldnt have posted it...
The only quotations in my post (post 21) in any way addressing "shock effect" were the three from the book In Defense of Self and Others. The first, a quote from Dr. V. J. M. DiMaio refers specifically to, "...low velocity missles, e. g., pistol bullets...." The second refers specifically to, "...a handgun bullet...." And the third in context is clearly a continuation of the discussion from which the first two quotes were taken.

sfmedic said:
Frank Ettin said:
sfmedic said:
...The energy imparted by the bullet has to abide by the law of energy E=MC2 in the world of ballistic energy mass isnt the big dog on the block its Speed because the speed is squared...
[1] And that equation has absolutely nothing to do with the subject we are discussing, nor does it describe ballistic energy.

[2] That equation is useful do describe the energy produced in nuclear reactions when a small amount of matter is lost and is converted to energy.

[3] The factor "c" is not speed. It is rather the speed of light (roughly 186,000 miles/second). The speed of light is a common constant in many equations of physics, and the letter "c" is commonly used in physics equations to refer to the speed of light.
I used that as a general example that evryone knew I dont think the Ek=1/2mv2 would have been as widely known ...
[1] So on one hand you have claimed in other posts to be an instructor, yet on the other hand you're willing to attempt to illustrate a point you're trying to make with a completely incorrect (for the purpose) and irrelevant equation, simply because you think people will recognize it? I would have expected someone who has experience as an instructor to use the proper equation and offer a brief explanation of what it means.

[2] Familiarity with the equation E=mc2 doesn't make that equation in any way applicable to the subject under discussion. Among other things, it has nothing to do with kinetic energy as expressed by E=1/2mv2.

[3] And how is E=mc2 a "general example"? It is a very specific equation addressing a very specific issue, and has nothing to do with kinetic energy.

sfmedic said:
...- but it still holds that you get more energy from the speed side of the column as opposed to the size side...
No, as a matter of fact the equation E=mc2 does not hold anything of the sort.

[1] It has nothing to do with the speed of anything. Matter (mass), for the purposes of that equation, could be at rest or in motion, but if in motion, the speed or velocity of the matter in not accounted for in the equation. The only speed referenced in the equation is the constant, "c", the speed of light.

[2] What the equation E=mc2 does hold is that if an amount of matter is converted to energy in a nuclear reaction (or similar process, e. g., the mutual annihilation of an electronic and positron with the resultant release of energy in the form of gamma radiation) the amount of energy thus produced would be equal to the mass of the matter converted to energy multiplied by the square of the speed of light.

[3] In any case the reference to "size side" is inaccurate. The issue is mass, not size.

I used to love the Saturday night special days. The street thugs carried RG 38's, jennings, Bryco's and used the cheapest ammo they could get their hands on, it was a gamble that the gun would even fire. Now it seems every BG has a Glock, although Hipoints seem to be popular as well.

The ammo selection for BG's is going to vary as much as it does for the GG's, the only caveat to that is that I have very rarely seen BG's load up with premium SD HP's.

To answer the OP's question; Sure it does, and it also depends on skill, luck, and tenacity. :D

Stopping power is mostly a made up term. If its not supported by physics don't believe it. Knock down power is another one. plain old lead bullets and FMJ bullets have killed more people then designer hps ever will. People will tell you that you need a gun and ammo that will hold x group at 25 yards etc etc. Its all bs. Shot placement is something you can predict when you control the environment. It is not something you can predict in combat or a self defense situation. Putting a deep penetrating bullet on your target is all that matters. The bigger hole you can put through and through the better chance you have of stopping the threat.

Looks to me as if this one has run its course. Beating that dead horse ain't gonna make it run any faster...

pax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back