does slow fire practice improve SD shooting?

In a word, no. It does not.

SD shootings are so incredibly dynamic, and typically involve movement and rapid close range threat response, that just standing there at the range popping away at your leisure is NOT going to help you much, if at all, in a self defense shooting.

JM2¢.

YMMV.

I would buy the books Shooting To Live (Sykes and Fairbairn), follow up with Rex Applegate and the dvd Shoot Him To The Ground. Lou Chiodo had good instruction if you're near southern California. Michael T Rayburn has also written a good text.

One of the most important aspects to defensive shooting is having a gun that fits your hand. Most situations you are going to lock on the target point your gun and pull the trigger. Fist sized groupings are fine. There are four basic positions for this kind of shooting. You can achieve good basic proficiency in a few hours.

long

it’s the best way to do the long range shooting, too.”

How long is that?
I have tried to answer my own question by looking through the rule books for IPSC/USPSA/IDPA. The longest distance that I saw was 17 meters (about 50 ft.) Is that correct?
Pete

Last edited:
long
Quote:
it’s the best way to do the long range shooting, too.”
How long is that?
I have tried to answer my own question by looking through the rule books for IPSC/USPSA/IDPA. The longest distance that I saw was 17 meters (about 50 ft.) Is that correct?
Pete

Incorrect for both. I believe its 25 for IDPA unless that has changed with the new rules (free style). USPSA I don't think has a minimum distance. I know they have a new classifier stage thats 25 yards.

Movers are expensive and a pain to reset though. Plus they make me miss which is completely unacceptable ;)

They had poppers at a match last year that would flip open and closed within one second. I was so ticked off I wanted to throw a car at them.

Think outside the box a bit. We have an outdoor range hear that hosts cowboy action. The cowboy action pit is free to use with your range pass. I have been shooting bottles and cans in a deep irrigation canal a half mile behind my parents place for deckades. The canal bank is deep enough that you do not have to worry about a bullet excaping and the water flows fast enough and with turbulence to give a challenge. The targets are plentiful enough left by the orchard workers.

you just haven't shot it eough yet

You have to shoot it until its like walking you don't get out of your chair and walk across the room thinking left right left right as you go you just do it,
you have to practice until shooting is like walking, and I think that explains it for me but its not my words I read a interview with Kim Rhode and that's how she explained her shot gun practice routine,

I do think slow fire is good practice for rapid and timed fire ...... because, the fundamentals are the same the time interval is different but its still, stance, grip, sight alignment, trigger squeeze
bb

Last edited:
Back