Does Ruger use mim parts?

Sturm, Ruger & Company, Incorporated is a Southport, Connecticut–based firearm manufacturing company, better known by the shortened name Ruger. Sturm, Ruger produces bolt-action, semi-automatic, full-automatic, and single-shot rifles, shotguns, semi-automatic pistols, and single- and double-action revolvers. Ruger is the fourth largest firearms manufacturer in the United States.

Ruger Casting has plants in Newport, New Hampshire and Prescott, Arizona, making ferrous, ductile iron and commercial titanium castings. Ruger Golf makes steel and titanium castings for golf clubs made by a number of different brands.

Ruger is a metals company with a highly visible firearms branch .

More like a firearms manufacturer with an out shoot contract metal casting division.

Freedom Arms, Dan Wesson, Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat and I'm sure many others.
I'm pretty sure I have seen where Wilson offers several levels of quality in their parts. Some are machined from "bar stock", some are MIM, etc.

Some have also been known to compromise the use of the term "bar stock".

Dan Wesson had a problem with their hammers back around 2009/2010.
Some companies have the integrity to perform a recall (cough cough Ruger). Most do not (cough cough DW and many others) .

Things are not always as they seem.

Caveat Emptor.

Sturm, Ruger and Co, has always been a leader in innovation.

If I recall, they were the first American manufacturer to use investment cast receivers on rifles (The so-called "Lost wax method")

MIM is a natural progression for them.

Ruger's castings division is called Pine Tree Castings and has been around since 1963 making a wide variety of cast products for many different industries

Today, Pine Tree Castings provides investment castings for a wide range of industries, including commercial equipment, automotive, defense, firearms, sporting goods, hand and power tools, medical equipment and architectural hardware. Our customers count on quality investment castings that meet their specifications, their production schedules, and their budget.

MIM parts have proven to be reliable in not only firearms but in the aircraft industry and many other applications. Custom gun makers tout the fact they don't use MIM, but that fact in itself does not make their firearms any better than mass produced firearms. If MIM was a problem, major respected firearms manufacturers like Ruger, S&W and Colt would not use the process or warranty their firearms like they do. Folks need to move on.

Custom gun makers tout the fact they don't use MIM, but that fact in itself does not make their firearms any better than mass produced firearms.

The MIM argument reminds me of the hand layed vs chopper gun argument years back when I bought my first fiberglass bass boat. I was being told by a few salesman that his brand's hull was 100% hand layed , not the cheaper style built with the partial use of a chopper gun like some others do.
My next question, that tended to make them want to change the subject was " you mean chopper guns like Ranger boats use?
If it's proven technology that works, and helps keep prices as reasonable as possible I have no problem with It.
BTW, I bought a Procraft, chopper gunned first layer and all.:D

Last edited:
For legitimate information on the process, take a look at:

http://www.mimaweb.org/What_is_MIM.htm

Check out the YouTube video and you might see some familiar looking parts.

------------------------

"Custom gun makers tout the fact they don't use MIM, but that fact in itself does not make their firearms any better than mass produced firearms." Nope, but it can sure make them more expensive.

Jim

Back