Does Ruger use mim parts?

It's quite possible. Ruger has always made a point of using whatever technology works best for them in terms of cost and performance. If they can make MIM parts that will meet their performance specifications and service life requirements with less expense than other manufacturing methods, I have no doubt that they will take that route.

If they did (and I'm sure they do) I wouldn't worry about it to much. Ruger's are famous for just being down right TOUGH!

Yes, and widely.
The first Ruger MIM was the M77 extractor about 14 years ago.
Since then it's spread and it'll continue to spread.
Their MIMs are outsourced, so far.

Ruger's found that CNC machining is more efficient than casting in some larger areas, and that MIM parts work just as well as cast in other smaller areas at lesser cost. MIMs generally don't require the same level of final-finishing as cast parts do.
Denis

Most firearms manufacturers use MIM at this point. Glock has been using it in many of their smaller parts (locking block, extractors, etc) for years, so has S&W (in their pistols and revolvers) and I have found MIM in the Rugers (both semiautos and revolvers) that I own. As with any process, done correctly, there is nothing to be concerned about.

Ruger's keeping their sourcing confidential, I have no idea where they're getting their MIMs from.
That's their right. :)
Denis

Ruger along with 99% of manufacturers including many "high end" manufacturers use MIM parts. I dont like the look of them but they function and wear very well. I wouldnt hesitate to buy any gun over a MIM part.

Ruger's keeping their sourcing confidential, I have no idea where they're getting their MIMs from. That's their right. Denis
I agree completely, and It really doesn't matter. They work, and that's what counts. Just thought the coincidence pointed out in my post was interesting.:D

There's quite a few MIM parts on their new SR1911s. Not a big deal really. MIM's come a long way in my opinion.

Ruger is a metals company with a highly visible firearms branch. If MIM is OK with them for a specific application it's OK with me.

It is interesting to note that when "the truth was exposed!!!" that S&W used MIM parts, Ruger fans were overjoyed and lost no time reminding us that MIM parts always broke, fell apart, dry rotted, were eaten by zombies, or whatever other derogatory nonsense occurred to them, and that "their" company would never stoop so low as to use MIM for any kind of production.

All nonsense, of course. As others have said, Ruger will employ whatever manufacturing methods and materials are best for the job at the least cost to the customer, the same as any other company that plans to stay in business.

Jim

All I know is that my Ruger's are amazing performers for the price point. My tiny, light $300 LCP has done two years, five months pocket carry and over 1,000 rounds with nary an issue. My 10/22 all-weather stainless takes all the abuse I can dish out and laughs. MIM parts in Rugers don't concern me.

40 years ago Remington was making powder metal parts then at one point they they also started to make MIM. These parts went to other gun makers and their own guns !

MIM parts always broke, fell apart, dry rotted, were eaten by zombies, or whatever other derogatory nonsense occurred to them,
Yep I hear tell that dust/oil/lubrication/and just plain old air just eats up dem MIM parts:D

Ruger is a metals company with a highly visible firearms branch .
:confused::confused::confused:

What are the other branches of this "metals" company? Car parts? Home products? Aerospace industry? Construction materals?

Last edited:
Ruger is a metals company with a highly visible firearms branch. If MIM is OK with them for a specific application it's OK with me.

? I know their investment casting process is great, but I looked around and couldn't find any indication that they produce other metal products. Could you clarify?

They've done casting for golf clubs in the past & other industry applications through their Pine Tree casting operation. Also cast frames for other makers on 1911s & so on.
They do not have any MIM production capability & outsource for MIMs that they use.
Denis

Back