Does Powder Get Stale Out of the Can?

My MEC bottles have turned a different color; never leave the powder in the hopper, it will not only etch it, it can weaken the plastic to the point you get a nice spill

The only container I have had to fail was an oil bottle.
I had an old black plastic bottle of FP10, the good stuff before the original formulator left, and thought would transfer it to a handier needle oiler bottle. So I gave it a good squeeze to squirt oil into the new bottle, then I gave it a better squeeze and it shattered. What a mess.

Posts #5 and 7 have it right. Simply put the powder back in it's original container and call it good. And safe. Don't be lazy, it only takes a minute.

Good to see a vendor chime in with some info[post #18]. WTG Dillon.

you then pour the hopper powder back in and it gets well aerated each pour.

Powder in contact with some air is not an issue. Powder is in contact with the air its entire life, unless you load it under a vacuum. There is air in the cartridge, even if loaded to 100% fill, there is still air in there, between the grains of powder.

The amount of air in the powder jug is a fixed amount (with the lid on) and even though you are exchanging the air with room air every time you open the jug, it is not a significant amount.

The significant risks to leaving powder in the hopper, or putting it into cans/jugs it didn't come in are, later misidentifying the powder, forgetting it is in there, and, over time, possible chemical reaction between the powder and the container it is being stored in. Air may play a part, if it is continuously exposed to circulated air (like leaving the powder in an open container), but other than that, not so much.

Leaving it is not a good habit. I got doing it thirty-odd years ago when I was competing enough to empty and refill the hopper all the time. Always the same powder back then, so there was no chance of confusion.

Back