Does one of these two chamberings need to go away?

Which one should die?

• .260 Rem

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • 6.5 Creedmoor

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Neither; they each have a place

Votes: 50 76.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
6.5 Creed and .260 Remington. Very similiar. Remington dropped the ball in the marketing department on their version and let it pretty much die a slow death. Hornaday relaunched its ballistic twin, handled the marketing the right way, and has a huge success. We really did not need the Creed, but from a marketing perspective, its almost impossible to revive a dead cartridge. Remington seemed to have no desire to revive it.
There are other similar cartridges in production.
6mm Remington and .243 Winchester.
.220 Swift and .22-250.
All the WSM and RSUAM in respective bore size.
The Whisper and the Blackout.

I guess you could ask "Do we need the Chevrolet 1500 and the F-150?".

Not only are there almost countless "ballistic twins" on the market, there is such incredible over-lap between the same almost countless cartridges that any such discussion of whether or not any given one should or will go away is completely pointless.

We could all make a list and come to an eventual, even if grudging, agreement that we could "get by" with no more than 4 or 5 (even if it's 6 or 8) cartridges for hunting of every animal on planet earth. How many hundreds of cartridges are there?

Fact is, there's far more over-lap and "unnecessary" cartridge choices than not, so picking two out of thin air and trying to decide if one of them is too close to the other is really quite like "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?"

I thought it was the Greek debate of how many spirits could dance on the head of a pin.....

Just say'n.... :D

Hmmm, maybe we could neck my 7mm Rem Mag down to 6.5mm.... Blow out some of the body taper, steeper shoulder.

hi...
I'm Ken, and I'm a velocity adict..... :D

I thought it was the Greek debate of how many spirits could dance on the head of a pin.....

No, it's actually how many pinheads could dance after drinking Greek spirits.:D

My guess is that both rounds mentioned are niche cartridges and, in all likelihood, both of them will die natural deaths.

Last edited:
ok, if that's the case, then...

505 Gibbs
Neck down to 6.5mm
less taper
60 degree shoulder.

Should have what? Bout 100 round barrel life...:D

They can both hang on

Don't think either will grab any top spots on preference lists, but.......
Those damned .264 bullets are so sexy.

While I don't own either, (my 6.5 is the Swede), there's no way to tell which one will "win out" in the commercial market. Odds are the one best suited to the AR platform will have an edge in sales.

If I were going to get one, I would choose the 2.60 Rem. Simply because I have a number of rifles using the .308 Win as the parent case, already.

This is not quite the same situation as the .222Rem Mag vs. .223.
The Army is not involved! Nor the other beancounters in the federal bureaucracy. They set a standard that was just beyond what could be reached with the .222 Rem. The .222 Rem mag could meet it. But the .222 Rem Mag was just a bit too long to work in the AR rifle. End result, .223 Rem (5.56mm).

(and, just FYI, the standard required back then has been proven to be essentially meaningless in the real world. Todays heavier bullet loads and short barrel carbines don't meet it, either.)

lets see we have

.264 win mag very powerfull H&H based magnum

6.5-284 Norma very powerfull and very accurate a .284 winchester based short mag type gun.great for hunting anything from antalope to elk or moose,and a 1000 yard match tack driver

6.5-55 sweedish mauser a great vercitile,practicle woods rifle with some range on deer and great for heavy weight game in close quarter.

what more do we need.get rid of the .260 rem,6.5 creedmore,6.5 grendle right away.they should never have been invented in the first place.and the .264 win mag never should have lost popularity

The .264 Win Mag never became popular for one and only one reason. It was birthed before bullet technology had caught up to it. It was losing too much game due to poor bullet construction of the era. By the time bullet technology arrived, no one was "pushing" the chambering. It got the reputation of a barrel burner, but worse burners than it became popular.

Last edited:
I rarely go negative on a thread but,
What does 'go away' mean?
No more ammo sales?
People must turn in their reloading equipment?
Move on folks. Nothing to see here...

Obviously, "go away" means die, the other word I used, which in turn means, lose popularity and become obsolete. Everyone else understood it. As mentioned above, the poll shows a pretty solid consensus that neither one should die, which I how I voted as well - they each have their place.

Let's look at the bright side. We're all learning more how the 6.5's fit in various guns and niches

Agreed. Excellent caliber.

Back