Does Demand Exist...

If factory produced .45 Super 1911-A1s were marketed to outdoorsmen, would demand for the 10MM evaporate?

I doubt it The 45 Super still comes up short compared to 10mm. The best DoubleTap 10mm loads beat 45 Super by 100 ft lbs energy and 10mm will out penetrate 45. 10mmo holds more rounds and recoils less too.

If someone has a standard 45 ACP pistol Buffalo Bore makes a load with the same 255 gr bullet loaded about 150 fps slower for those guns. The extra speed isn't that much help when it comes to penetration so I'm betting it is just as good.

I'm leaving the house in 5-10 minutes to go hunting in black bear country. I'll be carrying a Smith M&P Compact 45 ACP on my hip loaded with this Buffalo Bore ammo. I'm sure it will be enough if needed.

Aguila Blanca
Staff

Originally Posted by Sanch
Does Demand Exist...
For factory produced 1911-A1 handguns chambered for the .45 Super?

As a 1911 aficionado, I would have to say no. In fact, what I see happening is that even the 1911 market is moving in the other direction, with more and more 1911 makers offering more and more models chambered in 9mm.

The few hunters I have met, in Canada, or the USA. On majority hunt big and dangerous animals, like Grizzly Bears, favour rifles for that activity.

But stating that the popular chambering of 1911 type pistols seems to be leaning towards 9 mm, I would say is an accurate statement.
Over a period of some 25 plus years, I saw the Law Enforcement Officers duty handgun, change from 4" barrel 6 shot .38 Special revolvers, to 4" barreled self-loading (Semi-Auto) pistols. And with the advent of Glock pistols into that same LE market, lighter weight hi-capacity 9mm pistols. That worked in adverse conditions and with spare magazines, reloads became much more positive, and could be accomplished in the dark, by touch.

And my own feelings on Calibre, "It is where you put the projectile, from a pistol, not the size of it" that counts when dealing with human adversaries, of a criminal nature. My first pistol carried was the Browning High Power, and now the Gen4 Glock 19, with TruGlo steel night sights. Scrapping those ridiculous plastic sights Glocks come issued with from the factory.

"Scrapping those ridiculous plastic sights Glocks come issued with from the factory."(Brit)

You got that right, what a joke those plastic Glock sights are! Just changed out my new G4, model 20 10MM Glock sights for Tru-Glo... HUGE difference!!! :D Green front, yellow rear...;)
I have a rear sight press and the stock Glock sights got all marred up removing them. Very soft plastic!! Pretty pathetic, although they worked fine at the range.
At least most 1911's come with steel sights!

Last edited:
I doubt it The 45 Super still comes up short compared to 10mm. The best DoubleTap 10mm loads beat 45 Super by 100 ft lbs energy and 10mm will out penetrate 45. 10mmo holds more rounds and recoils less too.
jmr40, respectfully, that is not correct.

No Double Tap 10mm round has more muzzle energy than this 45 Super offering of theirs, with 750 ft-lbs energy at the muzzle:

https://doubletapammo.com/collections/450-smc/products/450-smc-185gr-controlled-expansion-a-jhp-20rds

If you'd like to verify by comparing with their 10mm offerings, they are all here:
https://doubletapammo.com/collections/all/10mm

In fact, as far as I know, no other factory offer in 10mm from ANY manufacturer has as much energy at the muzzle as this 45 Super round from Double Tap delivering 750 ft-lbs. Reloaders can get the 45 Super loaded even hotter, of course.

Now, about whether 10mm rounds (with same energy and bullet weight) would penetrate more because of its sectional density.... That is debatable, there are several videos on YouTube comparing them and I don't think there is much of a difference either way. But you are right that a double stack 10mm pistol holds a few more rounds (about 2 for Glock 20 v 21) than a pistol firing 45 caliber.

Regarding the OP, I know that there would be a demand at least =1 (me) for a 2011 pistol that can handle 45 Super. : )
Although I like a DA/SA even better, such as the HK 45 USP (which btw, does handle 45 Super).

<<I'm leaving the house in 5-10 minutes to go hunting in black bear country.>>
I am jealous now. Best of luck!

Last edited:
I too thought about a 460 Rowland conversion, however the fact that the change necessitated a ported barrel turned me off from the project, because of the much increased muzzle blast and concussion as a result.

Muzzle blast from comped 460 Rowland makes the need for hearing protection paramount. I know that hearing protection is always needed with firearms, but there are situations in which one will not be able to don hearing protection on time:

1) when attacked by bears, other wildlife (or two legged creatures).

2) when hunting and taking an opportunistic shot.

Yet the two situations above are the ones in which the extra power of the 460 Rowland would be most useful!

This made me decide against 460 Roland and instead go with the 45 Super (or 10mm) which do not necessitate comped barrels.
That is a very real concern and why I haven't owned a 357 in 30 years

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

In short, no, demands for 10mm would not dry up.

First question "does demand exist?" summarized as is there demand for a 1911-A1 in 45 super. yes, but not much. I checked buds guns and impact guns and there was not a single one for sale in 45 super. It kind of a niche thing, like 460 Rowland, or 50GI, something where you have to convert your own gun over. If it were in demand there would be guns currently being manufactured in it.

second question If factory produced .45 Super 1911-A1s were marketed to outdoorsmen, would demand for the 10MM evaporate? again no. The 10mm has a cult following, it would not evaporate. Also, when using full power loads (underwood) it is quite a potent round. That combined with the increased capacity and reduced recoil over 45super, in my opinion, make it a better choice.

Lastly a question. What exactly would it be marketed to outdoorsmen for? If your talking hunters it may not be a legal or viable cartridge in many states for many game animals. If your talking about animal defense, bears and such you have 2 catagories. people going to bear county, hikers, vacationers, they are not going to buy a gun just for that trip. they will most likely use what they have with the most potent ammo they can find (lehigh extreme penetrators). If your talking about people who live in bear country and carry day to day, im guessing most of them are running big wheel guns, 44 mag, 45 colt 454 casul, 50S&W, or just having a shotgun or lever gun with them.

In short, no.

Back