Does Demand Exist...

On a niche level, maybe. Enough to warrant actual production? I’d be surprised. Could likely get one from a boutique builder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting question. Kimber and Colt and others make a 1911 that will handle 10mm loads, so no reason you could not build one for .45 super.
I modified my Glock 21 to shoot super by merely purchasing a Storm Lake fully supported barrel, non captured guide rod and stronger recoil spring.
Why can't this simply be done on a 1911 platform?

But I don't believe that the .45 super is quite as hot as the 10mm, but I like the ability to change from regular .45 acp to .45 super for SD to woods carry.

Not if you want a 1911 to live for very long. It'll end up cracking where abused 1911's always crack. My glock can be set up as a .45acp, 10mm, .460rowland or 9x25 Dillon. I think if people started to realize what the 9x25 was capable of with modern bullets like the Lehigh Extreme Penetrator they'd put the 10mm's and fast .45's away as bear defense. A 9x25 running 90gr bullets will open a hole 4" wide in a bear. Talking 2100fps from a pistol with a .35" wide bullet.

Robar and Springfield Armory used to offer guns in 45 Super, but don’t at the present. STI International used to make single-stack 1911 and double-stack 2011 pistols setup for the 450 SMC (a little more powerful than 45 Super). They no longer do.

I converted a 6" .45 to Super - I think Springfield's was a 6", and may also have been ported? - I got a 230gr bullet up to almost 1200fps, there were no pressure signs, and six-foot case ejection.
1250fps should be no trouble.

I looked-up some .44 Magnum data, and Federal's 240gr Hydra-Shok goes 1350 from a 5" barrel, which is effectively the same length as a 6" auto.

Sanch said:
Does Demand Exist...
For factory produced 1911-A1 handguns chambered for the .45 Super?
As a 1911 aficionado, I would have to say no. In fact, what I see happening is that even the 1911 market is moving in the other direction, with more and more 1911 makers offering more and more models chambered in 9mm.

Interesting question. Kimber and Colt and others make a 1911 that will handle 10mm loads, so no reason you could not build one for .45 super.
I modified my Glock 21 to shoot super by merely purchasing a Storm Lake fully supported barrel, non captured guide rod and stronger recoil spring.
Why can't this simply be done on a 1911 platform?

But I don't believe that the .45 super is quite as hot as the 10mm, but I like the ability to change from regular .45 acp to .45 super for SD to woods carry.
I did the same to my G21, except barrel was KKM.
I also had to put a stronger spring in the magazine.

I LOVE this pistol.

<<But I don't believe that the .45 super is quite as hot as the 10mm>>

I think that Double Tap .450 SMC, 185 grain at 750 ft-lbs muzzle energy compares favorably to most factory 10mm loads! I use it as my woods load. I suppose for more oomph one would have to reload.

Last edited:
I have no interest in seeing yet another 1911 come to market. I've had my fill of ridiculously over-priced 1911's.

There are some videos online about converting a 1911 to 45 super. But for only a few bucks more you could step right up to a 45 that would leave the 10mm boys crying in the corner.

The .460 Rowland kit can be purchase for just over 300 bucks. Comes with a comped barrel and a new recoil spring. 230gr bullets at 1230 I've also heard of guys going to 255 at 1200 and 270's at 1050. I forgot the kit can be purchased from Clark custom guns I believe it's 325 from them

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Same question was asked on another forum in 2006. Nobody making 'em then either.
If there was any demand, one of the manufacturers would be making 'em.
The issue is that the Super doesn't do anything a regular ACP will not.
Then there's the ammo and brass availability. Graf's shows no ammo and Starline brass, only. That's out of stock. Midway shows Underwood and Buffalo Bore only with all but one bullet weight as out of stock no back order. Starline brass and they don't have any either.
"...super is quite as hot as the..." They're virtually the same. 1300 fps and just under 700 ft-lbs of energy with a 180 or185 grain bullet.

The .460 Rowland kit can be purchase for just over 300 bucks. Comes with a comped barrel and a new recoil spring. 230gr bullets at 1230 I've also heard of guys going to 255 at 1200 and 270's at 1050. I forgot the kit can be purchased from Clark custom guns I believe it's 325 from them

I too thought about a 460 Rowland conversion, however the fact that the change necessitated a ported barrel turned me off from the project, because of the much increased muzzle blast and concussion as a result.

Muzzle blast from comped 460 Rowland makes the need for hearing protection paramount. I know that hearing protection is always needed with firearms, but there are situations in which one will not be able to don hearing protection on time:
1) when attacked by bears, other wildlife (or two legged creatures).
2) when hunting and taking an opportunistic shot.

Yet the two situations above are the ones in which the extra power of the 460 Rowland would be most useful!

This made me decide against 460 Roland and instead go with the 45 Super (or 10mm) which do not necessitate comped barrels.

Back