Does CC lead to more restraint?

Concerned Citizen,
I would hope that everyone is more responsible while carrying a gun. Heck, I put mine in the safe if I want to have an "irresponsible" weekend. I wouldn't take a gun to a bar or nightclub even if allowed and even if I'm not drinking there. I rarely drink anyway, but before I do the gun gets put away ahead of time.
Responsibility goes hand in hand with carrying. A friend lost his wife because of an irresponsible policeman attending a party, his backup revolver fell out of his shorts pocket and a kid found it.

Yes. There is a greater responsilty to maintain self-control when carrying a gun. Exchanging pleasantries with an idiot in the Walmart parking lot that could lead to escalation takes on a higher level of exposure when armed. Life is short, and you can't fix stupid.

Or fshfndr, "An armed society is a polite society."
Uber and Lyft are also good solutions to that problem.

I'd like to think it's my conscious that keeps me in check more than the firearm I have access to. I think it's a good thing that you think things through while possessing a firearm.

Getting my CC permit was affirmation that I'm a law abiding citizen recognized as so by the Sheriff's Dept.
I figure they endorsed it/me, I better live up to that. I got into my fair share of trouble in my younger days, so finding that peace with the law was a big thing for me.

I applaud your honesty about some of the things that crossed your mind. I think things like that all the time. That's how many of us process our frustrations. I would never act on those thoughts. They're more of a way to vent. I have alot of time to self reflect during my work day and have recently come to the conclusion that I am an idealist in a less than ideal world. I can't control others, but I can rise above the little things that tick me off and try to be that better person that everyone can benefit from. If only everyone gave that little extra effort.

I'm not trying to sound righteous. I'm a work in progress.:o

"I have several urges to stick his tires or toss his wallet into the river,"

Really? And now you have a gun?

dajowi said:
Really? And now you have a gun?

I suppose you think about riding a Pegasus over rainbows while you cuddle an armful of kittens when you're angry or frustrated? C'mon! Nobody goes through life without thinking some nasty thoughts sometimes. I guess some people are just a little more honest and open about it. It's called being real.
CalmerThanYou said:
In retrospect I feel my first two "thoughts" we're unreasonable, but I admit I am a work in progress when it comes to maturation of temper

dajowi, It would be rude and well beyond your scope of knowledge to question my competence to carry a firearm.
So I will assume you were speaking out of place.
My question was authored with honest intent to explore the mindset and possible change in behavior when participating in C.C.
Most of he replies have been insightful. Thanks, Jeff

CalmerThanYou: "I have several urges to stick his tires or toss his wallet into the river,"

dajowi: Really? And now you have a gun?

CalmerThanYou: dajowi, It would be rude and well beyond your scope of knowledge to question my competence to carry a firearm.
So I will assume you were speaking out of place.
My question was authored with honest intent to explore the mindset and possible change in behavior when participating in C.C.
Most of he replies have been insightful. Thanks, Jeff
You will always get those who think that the normal rules and experiences of life do not apply to them. They never admit they are wrong, they never make mistakes, they never have bad thoughts, they are always in perfect control, etc. More often then not you will be chastised for what you thought then be applauded for what you didn't actually do.

Last edited:
I had a very good concealed carry teacher. It was clear the primary point of his class was de-escalation to hopefully not have to suffer all the legal consequences of a situation going to bad. He used a real world justified use of lethal force incident that was legally ongoing at the time and within our county as his example to drill in the immediacy of his point.
Years later...
I had a situation of a young guy being overly hostile and literally threatening physical violence at one point. I re-directed him away from the 70 year old guy he was threatening and got his attention towards me. The old guy interjected at one point and I sensed it was my moment and fortunately deflated the whole situation. I'd actually left my pistol in the car, but had a plan to use the trash can behind me as a battering ram on the guy's head if he came at me. Fortunately it came to nothing. Everyone left with their burgers.

Everything coming to nothing is a better outcome than being a hero and shooting up the bad guy.

Back