Does anyone out their share a love for fine doubles? Purdey, etc.

Those old doubles - British and others - are works of art of a very special kind. Of course you can't help loving them: They are in a class with great paintings, sculptures, jewelry and rare and special timepieces. The very fortunate own them, but its great just knowing they are there.

Sad story on the other hand: My Old Man owned a Westley Richards double 12. He inherited of an old comrade in arms... i remember as a kid our shooting with him, walking the fields behind his dog raising partridge. Alas his house was burgled and it was taken, a few years before he died and I've always wondered if there isn't a beautifully engraved old 'sawn off lupara' in the hands of some goblin out there - or the goons realized its value and it found a proper owner - whatever his or her morals.
Peter Knight

I am wondering why this interesting topic has only so few replys.

I am in the lucky position, that my father gave me a 12 gauche Purdey (build in 1901) when I was a teen.

Since then my shooting/hunting obsession has increasd to an extend which is risking my livelihood. I shoot approx. 3000 birds/year in Austria,GB,Hungary,Germany and Spain.

Some time ago I added a used matching pair of 12 gauche Arrizabalgas which I found in Madrid.

The Purdey is long barreld (30") and has tight chokes so I use it mostly for ducks and wild geese whereas the Arrizas with wider chokes and very short barrls (26") are good for dove, low phesants and partirdge. In terms of balance and workmanship the Purdey and Arrizas are very similar.

I use all of them really hard and they stand also the travel (in proper cases) very well. They are serviced on a 5 year basis at a specialized gun smith and are absolutly reliable.

Since I was given the Purdey 20 years ago, the value of the gun increase far above the increase of cost of living.

For trap/skeet I also own a O/U Beretta which I rarely use. The Arrizas are much more fun for that purpose and as efficent.

Mayby my reply can revive this topic.

re: so few replys

Because it seems to me that we double gun users are a dying breed. In a few generations people will have forgotten the joy of using a good sxs double for shooting birds, both clay and feathered.

The Purdey's, and Hollands, and Boss shotguns are beyond my price range. But from time to time I do get a chance to fondle and dream when I visit Thad Scott's Fine Guns, of course then I have to go home and cry because I had to leave them behind.

I currently own a Fox and a LeFever, both 12 gauge and both far older than I am. Hopefully in the next few years, a good Antonio Zoli or an AyA will become affordable.

BTW, for elegance, smoothness of swing, and sheer pleasure, no other shotgun even approaches the sxs double. Not joking, jut my rock solid IOFA opinion. YMMV

Doc Hudson

Doc:

Repeaters have competed against doubles for over a hundred years and yet the double continues to occupy a niche among hunters. Their relative cost makes them a less accessible item for many hunters but among those who appreciate the unique qualities of a side-by-side no other gun will do.

There are two sxs from Spain in my gun cabinet and they are both fine, reliable hunting firearms. Not in the class of a Purdey but good solid value for the money.

I also own over/unders, a semi and a pump but for upland hunting the sxs is my gun of choice.

Paul

I think the low point for doubles was around the 50s. Firepower was king, and a lot of ex GIs didn't mind an 8 lb shotgun that handled like a Garand. Now, the better handling and esthetics are appealing to folks who figure that 2 shots on a covey rise is enough.

I note than decent used SXSs do not stay long on the racks when they hit the gun shops. Many shop employees have lists of people to call if a specific style and make gun shows up.

I like doubles, it's just that I'm on a 870 sized budget.

You know, H&H has always had that mystique for me. Of course, Westley Richards, Rigby, Purdey, etal are also ok. The only problem is, my budget will only allow me to have a Springfield SXS 12 bore. I love it to death, though.

What I always wanted was an H&H 465 Double Rifle...

Anybody ever read "Shotguns by Keith"?

Dz,

Since I had developped an incontrollable lust for a SxS, but was on a 870-esque budget, I shopped around for a while and ended up buying a IGA Uplander.

Ok fit, some cheapo plastic parts, extractors on the stiff side, HEAVY! Rather poorly finished Brazilian hardwood stock with crude checkering (seems like the checkering was cut AFTER the stock was varnished!!!)

OTOH, it shoulders extremely well, points naturally (for me anyway) has interchangeable chokes, double triggers, top tang safety... the very best $ 450.00 CDN I ever spent.

I am planning to have the stock reworked by competent main d'oeuvre to reshape the loathed half-pistol grip and to "splinterize" the fore-end, thus shaving off a few ounces, but that's just me...

It doesn't really comes anywhere near any decent SxS of fine breeding, but it fills the ticket for a double-starved near-broke average schmo... :)

Just my 0.02

Thibault,

Do yourself a big favor. Keep both eyes open for a good Savage M-311 or a Fox Model B SXS.

Both offer excellent field performance at mosest prices. They are not H&H's nor even A.H. Fox's, but they are good workman-like hunting guns.

Doc Hudson

mr213_.gif

gotta love translated Russian:

Classic double locking system working on lumps via Purdey"s frame.

Dependable automatic safety locks both sears and triggers offering a highly safe handling in hike or woodland hunt.

Available with both fixed or screw-in chokes.

Forend & stock material - walnut or beech.

Back