Does anyone out their share a love for fine doubles? Purdey, etc.

Alex, As much as I'd love to own a Purdey, Boss of Holland, in that order, all I can afford are lower end Berettas. But I recently shot sporting clays with my latest acquisition, a Midland, round body, back action 12-bore hammergun with 30'' barrels. Made around 1890 but with modern dimensions. It was a lot of fun. Nothing equals the grace of an English double, not even the Italian guns, though they are are stronger.

Oh, I'm in shock, somebody on this board asking about REAL shotguns for a change
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, I am not able to own a nice British "Best Gun" at this time, still paying for the K 20. Someday hopefully.

I love the look and feel of quality sidelocks, some of the Spanish copies are nice, but if I ever get a British gun it will probably be a boxlock.

Made the mistake of visiting the vintage cup at Orvis Sandanona last year, had to lock my Credit cards in the car before I went in
wink.gif

Still dreaming...

Geoff Ross

Last non 870 shotgun I had was a game gun, made in St Etienne by a company called Didier.

This was a boxlock 12 ga, with an articulated trigger,swamped rib,magnificient wood, straight grip,checkered butt,etc, weighing in at 5 lbs, 5 oz. Built in 1919 for someone shorter than I but round faced and barrel chested.

I had the chokes opened to 8 points of constriction in one bbl and 20 in the other. The few times I used it on birds, it made me look like a better shot than I am, including a double on woodcock, my very first.

Anyone ever hear of this brand?

Absolutely!!

While a British best would be wonderful, finances dictate otherwise, and so my interest is in the "Spanish Best" guns, with my favorite being those by Pedro Arrizabalaga.

I once shot an Arrizabalaga along with a Holland & Holland and a William Evans, and the Spanish gun was by far my favorite. It was that intangible "feel" that can't really be described, only appreciated.

I plan on a trip to Europe next year with my wife, and a trip to Eibar to have a gun made to order is a must do.

Interesting responses. I too like the fine English doubles, but my finances don't currently allow me the freedom to live out my dreams. I have been looking more and more at some of the better quality, condition, damascus guns on the market. These seem to be available at very reasonable prices considering, their quality, and I'm not scared of black powder loads in a quality damascus gun. Nice to hear from you all.

Dad bought that fox in 1968 for 350 bucks!

yep! on our last hunt he said well your brother doesn't seem to have much interest in shotguns...

dZ

I've a 32" full/full Spanish 10gauge double made for Richland Arms! Granted that it's not a several-thousand dollar classic, but I like it anyway. Can anyone tell me how I could tell when it was made. The "Bluebook" says the model 711 magnum SxS was made from 1963 to 1985. On the underside of the barrels there is 10//89 (along with other various characters, numbers, etc. Maybe I've something different than what I think I have.

Shooting it is fun but expensive. Most of the time it's hanging behind my store counter as a "conversation piece". People will admire it and some will ask if it's for sale. "Nope, I like it too much." Kids sometimes ask "What's it for?". Answer: "shoplifters". Their eyes bug out and their jaws drop! I once had a greenhorn ask about that ".22 up there". Huh!?!? Never ceases to amaze me how gun-ignorant some folks are. Guess that's why gun laws are so easy to sell.

Solitar,
Post what you see on the barrel flats, especially any single letters and I'll try to tell you when it was built.

2shots,
Thanks for the offer. There are all sorts of squigglys and odd design characters, but here are some.
{L.G} with an engraved bracket below too
L1
10//89
2 with crossed guns behind it
1000 KGS
24703MO5 (the MO5 could be MOS but is smaller letters like a superscript over what could be a 3 though the bottom right part of the upper half of the 3 is missing.
There are three "shields":
one with what looks to be a BP over an oblong o, another with an X in what looks to be knight's shield and helmet, and the other with what could be CN in it.
On the round part of the barrels we have
SGS
19 4 followed by that odd X
and the choke dimensions 18.6 and 19.7

Solitar,
Your gun was built in 1966. 10/89 is gauge and length of chambers in millimeters. Crosses are nitro proof marks. If you desire, place a piece of paper on the marks, trace them and send them to me at your convenience and I may be able to tell you more. Jozed@earthlink.net.

2shots and others here
Thanks for not giving me a hard time for having or posting about a "cheap Spanish double". I didn't realize the attitude that some double owners have toward those shotguns. But I do now after reading Double Gun BBS - Question & Answer Open Forum
http://www.gunshop.com/HyperNews/get.cgi/gunshop.html

Nevertheless, there are some holdouts over there who speak of that taboo subject and who've posted some links to pages where the proof and manufacturers marks are displayed.
http://web.jet.es/apraiz/b_punzones.html

solitar, don't be ashamed of you spanish double, all sxs men know that any double is better than a pump. (just kidding
smile.gif
)

------------------
what doesn't kill me only makes me stronger :)

The Beretta 64 -64ES - 64ES series are nice guns which point well, have magnificent wood and lovely engraving ...but they are U/O, they have a good feel and also very strong.

AYA(spanish) is also good in SXS and very popular in UK for game drives and pest shooting.

London or Birmingham (British) guns are difficult to find and expensive when you do, but assuming the firm that made them is still in existence the after sales service is superb!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
***Big Bunny***

big bunny, are you from across the pond ? (uk-europe) If so would you say more sxs and o/u's are lower grade shooters.I've always wondered if there are more japanese spanish and italian guns being shot over there ,then the famous english game guns.

------------------
what doesn't kill me only makes me stronger :)

I know a fellow that paid $30,000 for a 1920's Purdey 20G double that had been owned by an English preacher. Was MINT with all of the original accessories... These weapons are fine works of art... beautiful to behold and handle.. I love the feel and look of real old-world craftsmanship. Problem is that collecting these weapons is only for the VERY rich. A great old English gun can easily run $100,000 these days. Nice to look at and admire... but even if I were very rich, which I am not I would be hard pressed to take a weapon like that into the field.

Ben

Back