Does anyone like the Sig P220

it's actually a division rather than a multiplication; I do understand "caliber" does not seem to have a specific conversion, but where does the 23 come from?

but where does the 23 come from?

its the case length in mm (approximate)

Standard metric naming practice is caliber x case length in mm. Rimmed cases are designated with the letter "R" at the end.

9x19mm = 9mm Luger aka 9mm Parabellum, aka 9mm NATO..etc
9x17mm = .380ACP

7.62x39mm = .30 Russian short (AK and SKS round)

7.62x54R = Rimmed Russian round .30 used in Moisin Nagant and several other guns

7.62x51 = 7.62 NATO aka .308 Winchester

7.62x63 = .30-06

7.92x57 = 8mm Mauser

7x57 = 7mm Mauser
There are exceptions, but usually the "x" followed by a number is the case length (NOT the loaded round) and is spoken as "by" when said out loud. Example "7 by 57" for 7x57... 9 by 19, etc.

In the mid 1990s I traded for a brand new German P220 and at the time it was the most accurate out of the box centerfire semi-auto I had ever owned. Since then the only out of box centerfire semi-auto that might beat it is my SA 1911 Range Officer.

With the relatively light for its size and high bore axis the P220 muzzle flip with the 45 was more noticeable than with 1911s I've owned. But still very manageable and not unpleasant in the least.

The plastic grips did not fit me well so I went to Hogue rubber. Improved but the grip really never fit me as well as other 45s I own.

I traded it several years later. At times I still wish I had it. Local shop had a used one in the case for quite a while now - really tempting to check it out next time I'm in there.

I carried a Sig P220 in 45 ACP starting about 1991 or 1992. Being southpaw, I liked the lack of a manually operated safety and could easily manipulate the decocker with my forefinger. The magazine release was switched but I found it easier to use the index finger to release the magazine.

On the first night of the King Riots, I heard that there was someone running around with molotov cocktails two blocks from me. At that point and at the first chance I had I removed the two spare magazines from my locker and carried them in my pocket (so I have five total). After the Riot I acquired a new mag pouch that would accommodate all four spares or forty-one rounds of 45 ACP goodness.

Great old gonne and very accurate. In one class we had to fire one shot for accuracy and I outshot an instructor at TSJC who had tuned his 1911.

In the old days Sig would sell its 8 round magazine follower to upgrade your seven round magazine to eight. They also would sell floorplate with rubber bumper pads. Nowadays they won't sell parts to rebuild a magazine anymore. I learned all this this past Monday when I tried to order a new (internal) extractor for an old Sig. Could not buy anything from Sig. No magazine parts, no extractor (which they want installed by their custom shop for $105).

Now as for CCW, it depends on how big you are or how loose your clothes are. Are you in a place where a vest will conceal it or do you need to wear a loose jacket? What clothing is acceptable in your area that helps you to remain the grey man?

Back