Does anyone hunt turkeys with a rimfire rifle?

My dad used .22 to feed the family in his teen years( late 40s early 50s)

You know. I've never go the calling thing. Here in OreGun turkeys rome in flocks of 100. How could you miss'em? Maybe it's just good hunting here.

In GA, where I hunt atleast, you couldn't get a shot of more than 75 yards when turkey hunting due to the thick brush.

I would think a .22 LR, aiming for the head, would be more difficult than aiming center mass with a blast of No. 4 or No. 5 shot.

I believe that if their state laws allowed it, more people would hunt them with a rifle.

I don't think so. Fl allows it but very few people hunt actually choose to hunt turkeys with a rifle. I think that those turkeys that are actually killed here with a rifle are "chance" encounters when hunting deer or hogs rather than called-in birds.

I've never lived anywhere that allowed rimfires. I'd be willing to try it, but don't know anyone that hunts with a rimfire.

My only turkey kill was with a Subaru station wagon. It was quite effective, and even removed most of the feathers and entrails at the same time.

in the spring here its all shotguns,in the fall shotguns or rifles. that being said if any one who uses a rimfire on turkeys and has always killed them all please post here. a turkey is hard to kill without a proper shot and the rimfire,s window to kill cleanly is very small in relation to the size of the bird and many will run or fly off to die a slow death. eastbank.

.22LR HP at the base of the neck works good. That area doesn't bob around like the head and gives minimal meat damage.

rifles

I lived and hunted in a state for a while that allowed rifles for turkeys in the fall. The .22 lr was universally recognized as to small, the .22 mag borderline. The 5mm rimfire came and went, and some guys used it as a turkey rifle. The 17's were not on the market.

What was popular was the old .22 Hornet, the .218 Bee, and the 25-20.

Biggest turkey I ever killed had a .22 hole low in the breast bone. Some migrant tree planters got caught the year before, shooting at birds in the open on our lease. After their work day was done, they'd ride around on our roads sniping at birds. That got very ugly. The guys running the crews finally took to searching their vans before they left in the AM. This old bird likely survived an encounter with the tree planters.

Back