Does anyone hunt turkeys with a rimfire rifle?

dalegribble

in many states it is legal to hunt turkeys with a rimfire rifle such as a 17mag or 22mag yet i don't see any hunting reports using these weapons. it seems to me that one bullet instead of a bunch of shotgun pellets would make for a more tasty bird? any comments?

Several old Texas ranchers I've known (most gone now) use to like the .22 Magnum for turkey hunting. This was way before any of the newer RF's. They never called them, but could make a good enough sound with their mouth to locate them. They hunted by stalking or sitting still, just like deer hunting.

FWIW...

...bug ;)

seems to me that one bullet instead of a bunch of shotgun pellets would make for a more tasty bird? any comments?

To quote Art. "Your not supposed to shoot 'em in the eatin' parts" .

Folks I know aim for the head. Everyone I ever talked to that tried otherwise did not take a bird home, just watched it fly away. ( shotgun only ) Archery is a different story altogether.:D

I got my first called-in turkey this year with a scope sighted Savage Striker pistol in .22LR. One shot through-and-through and it only flopped around about 10 ft.

Birds are one of the only things I have had trouble killing with a .17 HMR, but I was probably using the wrong bullet for it. V-max is not meant for bird. The rapid expansion and layers of feathers going through wings and into organs it just doesn't get enough penetration. A hollow point or fmj would work better. If I were turkey hunting with .17 HMR it would be a head shot only situation, which isn't out of the realm of possibility. I can hit a squirrel through the heart/head at 80 yards reliably.

.22 magnum would be better if you are not going with the "head shots only" mentality. Better have a good knowledge of turkey anatomy so you don't just wound the bird.

Here in Maryland...you can hunt fall season turkey with a rifle, in the two far western counties. I missed one with a 22lr rimfire, while squirrel hunting, but would much prefer to use a shotgun or crossbow, because they have less of a chance of shooting off a turkey's beak --- while making a headshot with a 22lr --- which would condemm the wounded turkey too starvation.

Last edited:
Shotgun/archery here in Ohio as well.

Although I do have a turkey I had mounted that had a 22 slug in the ankle area(noticed by the taxidermist) that the skin had grown over. Think 'poaching' anyone? :mad:

Shotguns, archery or muzzle loading rifles in GA. Only seen 1 person with a muzzle loader. Never actually say anyone hunting with a bow, but I worked with a guy who went to a longbow for everything. Sold all of his hunting rifles.

Shot guns and Bows in Wisconsin as well..... with proper shot placement a .22 is highly effective. Our local DNR uses them to control nuisance birds

I believe that if their state laws allowed it, more people would hunt them with a rifle. Savage made their little Model 24 Combo gun in various cartridge/ gauges that would give you a choice. Ithaca even called their combo gun a Turkey Gun. The possibility of wounding a bird with a rifle is greater than wounding one with a shotgun, so I always used the shotgun.

Only shotguns and primitive weapons in GA, sadly. Never seen anyone hunt with anything other than a shotgun.

In one of those wierd things that stick with you, I distinctly remember a group of us in 7th grade, round about 2000 or so, discussing earnestly a rumor someone had heard from his Dad concerning the possible use of Rimfire rifles for the upcoming season.

Never materialized, but I would very much like to give it a try.

We can shoot turkey with rifles or shotguns here but what fun is there in shooting turkeys with rifles? The most enjoyable part of turkey hunting is calling in birds from distance and getting them close enough to shoot with shotguns. Shooting turkeys at distance with rifles would be about as much fun as shooting swimming ducks. If you just want turkey to eat then just go to the local supermarket... it will be a lot cheaper than hunting for one.

I've killed turkey with the 17M2 V max. It punches a neat little hole in the breast and blows open in the innards. No meat loss and a quick kill.

Back