does anyone airsoft, looking for some input

scottycoyote

ok so for some reason ive got the airsoft bug and although ive been researching it, there is just so much to take in i was hoping to get some help here. Initially i was interested in as realistic an airsoft pistol as i could get for plinking and training (some type of glock/hk/1911 style gas blowback). Ive got buddies who hunt and shoot and we have lots of land accessible, so i can see us some day have some battles between us but i doubt we would ever get into anything very organized. So what would be some good guns for me to look at as far as makes and models? Should i go with something co2 or green gas or the ns2 (what is ns2 anyway). I dont mind spending $150 to $200 for something worthwhile.

Would i be able to use a gbb pistol in a battle, or would something else be better? From what ive seen on youtube, most guys dont really use the pistols except as a last resort, so does it even matter? Can your training loadout and your battlegear be the same, or is it apples and oranges.

Ive looked at some of the airsoft forums for advice but it seems to be mostly kids on there, im 45 lol

i used to run around shooting my brother with airsoft when i was in high school. then i got into paintball guns because:
-airsoft guns break easily,
-for the price of an airsoft that wont break you can buy REALL guns
-they have more range
-they hurt better lol.
any more i like my real toys.

Been doing it for a while..

Hi, welcome to a new hobby.
I am 49, and have been using airsoft for over 10 years.

When I started everything was high pressure air (hpa)
They call it classic airsoft now.

then the electrics hit the market an the flood gates opened.
And EVERYBODY got in the hobby.

Most of the YouTube videos and reviews seem to be made by a 12 year old in their closet by flashlight. And are crap.

There is a YouTube channel with no bs reviews, by an adult.
He makes his living doing this.
Search crazyncman on YouTube.

He tells the good and bad, and the airsoft manufacturers are starting to listen to his suggestions about their equipment issues..

Now on to your questions.
Co2 and the green gas guns are the most realistic, but don't work well in cold temps (below 65 degrees start to affect them, green gas more than co2)

In this hobby you do get what you pay for,
The best (and worth every penny) is inokatsu.
http://www.inokatsu.com/
Their stuff is steel, not zinc or aluminum or pot metal.

It is very easy to spend more for a toy than a real steel gun.

But that being said, great gbb(gas blow back) guns can be had for a lot less.

KWA
KWC
KJW
G&G
Are the major players in the $300 and down class.
All make quality realistic guns,

If all the players are equipped with similar weapons (pistols) then yes you can have a war and have a chance. If someone has a decent rifle, you will be at a disadvantage in range and firepower.
But you have better mobility than the player carrying a lot of equipment.

Ns2(also called system7 by other companies) is a newer more gas efficient system than ns1.
First rule of airsoft NEVER use oils/cleaners meant for real guns. It can damage the rubber orings in the guns. Pure silicone only.

I use airsoft in several ways, one to practice my draws, and sight picture and squeeze in my back yard. (With a good gbb it give the same kick as a .22 adapter on my 1911)

We also use airsoft to train with law enforcement , we act as the opposing force, and the overall cost is less than sim munitions, and hurt less.

You can also use it to have training scenarios and actually get to shoot at someone (full face protection recommended at self defense distances)
While they are trying to attack you.

One of my many ones is this.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Colt_1911_CO2_Blowback_Airsoft_Pistol_Full_Metal/2537;jsessionid=664BA62252ECC85A162285A109406FB7.app02

It is co2, has a recoil similar to a .22-1911, is full metal, and has full colt trademarks (and is made by KWC)

This is going long. I hope it answered some of your questions in an adult manner..

Ian

And a bonus extra

As a bonus, you get full auto guns without a federal tax stamp(yes they are BB guns but still a load of fun)

And ammo is $20 for 5000

The glock clone is co2, the others are green gas,
The M11 is selective fire, and retails for $105
Ths one has more than 30,000 rounds through it.

Ian

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
http://www.evike.com/ Has a lot of different brands. Another site to compare models and prices to the other suggestions.

Its been awhile since I did any airsoft stuff though.

There are some great name brands but they can be expensive, there are a few good brands that are just a little more money that the cheaper stuff. (cheaper metal construction, not real cheap plastic stuff)

There are a few Chinese knock off brands that are pretty much copies of the high end stuff. Usually made with a bit cheaper materials and lower QA.

You want metal construction if you plan on rough handling, though some high end plastic guns may be better than a cheap metal gun.

Have fun.

i used to run around shooting my brother with airsoft when i was in high school. then i got into paintball guns

When I was younger I used to go paintballing almost every weekend, but it's damn expensive. Paint is far from cheap, and cheap paint just sucks all around, sometimes you have to drive pretty far just to find a place that will fill your C02 or nitrous tanks so it helps to have a few, and for the price of a decent entry level paintball gun I can buy a 12g shotgun. You can easily spend upwards of $1200+ on competition guns that the pros use. I still go with my buddies every now and then but I sold off all my gear so we just hit up paintball courses and rent. Worked out pretty good when I sold my paintball gear for close to $500 and got myself a nice S&W revolver, good trade off if I say so myself. I would honestly go the airsoft route since you can buy disposable C02 cartridges at Walmart and airsoft ammo is ALOT cheaper than actual paintballs.

My favorite website is shortyusa.com

There are very realistic GBB (gas blow back) weapons available in favorite platforms such as Glock and 1911. I had the pleasure of using a fully automatic GBB Glock of a friend's. Some recoil (a little lighter than a .22) with a realistic magazine capacity. Cost about $150 I think.

I have a non blow back fixed slide/hammer CO2 gun that shoots 400 FPS and pretty accurate. Cost me $40 at Dick's Sporting Goods. My parents got it for me for Christmas when I was 14. Pretty accurate.

Co2 is cheap. I got about 225 shots out of each CO2 canister and I could get 20 canisters for as many dollars. I thought airsoft ammo was expensive at $20 for 5,000 rounds.

Anyways, there are definitely options out there that are similar in a lot of ways. For some money you can even get an older gas blow back long gun like an MP5. They stopped making them for a long time, but as I recall, picked back up after I stopped playing. The slide action and everything recoils on these.

I just checked shortyusa and they have Glock, Beretta, 1911 available and even have some things like Luger, Walther P38, and selective fire (including 3 round burst) Beretta M93R. I was very surprised to see a TT-33!

My m11

This is a short video of my m11 dumping a mag.
48 rounds.
It is a little over 2 years old and has over 30,000 rounds through it.

The only parts replaced in that time were the magazine feed lips for $8.

I have been running propane mostly as a propellant, sometimes green gas.

the externals are plastic, but the internals are all metal.
Price $105 with free shipping from most retailers.
great gun.

http://youtu.be/OsokRJScnIQ

awesome guys, thats just the kind of info i was looking for, you guys rock

i went the paintball route years ago, but between the expense, no fields close by, etc...i just got tired of it.

now that i know a little about what im dealing with i think im going to pick up a nice gbb pistol first and see where it goes

Airsoft

There is a second reason for airsoft

Collecting for display..
We all like to show our stuff off, but if heaven forbid something happens our expensive toys are stolen, we are out major bucks and a real gun with our name attached to it is on the street.
If you have realistic airsoft stuff on your wall, it looks good, you can shoot it in your back yard or basement.

And if it is stolen, you are out only a few bucks, not tens of thousands for a real Thompson, and p08 Luger, and broom handle Mauser, and m16 with m203 grenade launcher.

zwi4x0.jpg

106nc7c.jpg

212cw9v.jpg

2vjbsxg.jpg

It might just make more sense to collect airguns and limit the firearms to those actually needed.
Sure would simplify life and still satisfy, especially with the realism of airguns these days.
That KWC Colt is beckoning.

...also ammo can be bought in pounds, not round count :)

And it really is fun to shoot varmints with them. Every time you kill one, another one takes its place. With an air soft, you can make them dance and hurt their pride so they don't come back! :D

What about air-soft revolvers?

I make holsters as a sideline business,,,
I am constantly being asked to provide a fake gun of some kind.

For semi-auto shooters,,,
Several air-soft guns are dead on duplicates.

But I've never been able to locate a duplicate of a Colt SAA revolver,,,
Of a duplicate of a more modern S&W revolver.

Do any of you air-soft aficionados have a source for me?

Aarond

Shortyusa is overpriced.... There are many better places to go. Aside from what has already been mentioned, airsoftgi.com is another good one in my experience.

Revolvers,

Tanaka makes a 1to1 replica of the saa, but it may be more cost effective to get a chiappa saa .22, it is a full size .22, not reduced size.

Tokyo marui, and marushin are big name, quality manufacturers and been in the business for years.

This company is a great company, with quality replicas.

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/AdvanceSearchResult?search=true&productcode=Revolver&mode=simple&keyword_search=Revolver&productname=Revolver&brandId=

I am in need of a holster for a S&W 22A with a optical sight, can you accommodate that design?

Basically a holster to cover the muzzle, then com back along the lower sides to cover the trigger.

Something along these lines.
I had one in the 80's, it fit my 1911, and my ruger mk2, but need something similar for my 5.5 inch S&W.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 11
I join in a few massive airsoft wars in the spring/fall and the green gas pistol I have has never been drawn once. I have a full metal gearbox with all metal upper M4 replica. It was $575 new. There are guys with M60 replicas, Thompson replicas and even sniper replicas (draganov, tac-50, etc). So realistically if you are wanting to go into a real airsoft competition or large scale war, usually 30 vs 30 for us, then a pistol is useless. We also play a 10 yard rule, anything closer than that just call hit, my airsoft m4 will break skin easily any closer than that.

Back