Does a modern top break have a place in today's concealed carry world?

What if the price of such a top break was considerably less than today's J frames and LCR's?

For a new made top break? It won't be. At the very least it will be the same, and I doubt that. It will be MORE expensive than a swing out style.

Despite it' simple appearance, there is actually MORE machining and more fitting required in a top-break. And things wear differently, too. Plus there is the strength issue, and while YOU might be fine with light calibers, a lot of folks aren't.

Despite being waay cool, and classy, top breaks are less efficient than solid frame swing out revolvers, more complex, and more fragile. This also means more expensive.

I would really like something like a late 1800's S&W top break, but modern steel and 6 shots of .32 ACP instead of five .38 S&W. I know no one will ever make a gun like that; maybe I'll commission one if I ever win the Powerball or MegaMillions lottery (I only play them when the jackpot approaches a billion dollars)

Top breaks may not be as strong, but I think the opinion among experts is that shooting whatever you shoot best with, even if it's a weaker ammo (like .22 LR, .32 Long, .38 S&W) because it's shot placement that matters and faster follow up shots is always good.

As always, this is essentially nonsense noise. What it translates to is that anyone can carry a small and inefficient gun that isn't ordinarily considered adequate for combat as long as they can make a perfect shot without fail. A person can throw a shuriken and kill a dadburned steer as long as he tears out the carotid artery.

The answer to the unasked question "am I going to survive carrying a gun that has energy levels similar to a major league pitch or even a tennis ball?"

IMO, people should be saying "get used to a stronger round and carry that if it is at all possible. Carrying an inappropriately small round and expecting that you will rise to the occasion and perform well is a real risk."

But your question was whether or not a micro pistol could be made with the convenience of a pop up cylinder and still retain the energy of a suitable cartridge and the robustness of a solid top strapped revolver.

No, I doubt it. An LCR can use a plastic frame, but if we take the top strap off of some of these mini revolvers, we would be adding unusual stresses to the frame.

Then there is the question of cost. This would be an entirely unique design that would have to be created from the very concept on paper. Nothing could be carried over from stock parts. So, it will cost a fortune for the development costs that couldn't be passed on to the consumer until maybe even tens of thousands of units were sold.

Yes, I am a pessimist. There's nothing wrong with realistically assessing the potential for failure of what seems like a great idea "at the time". I don't believe that a break open revolver can be designed cheaply enough to provide units that will fly from the shelves. I find the .32 to be too far into the just barely adequate range to suggest it. If the major reason for wanting it is to be even more compact than available pieces, i'm not sure if there will be any added benefit from the extremely small improvement.

A .380 will be better able to tear a bleeding hole through a person's flesh than the other. if a person fails to hit the major vessels the speed of incapacitation of the bad guy is the only thing that matters. It's almost certain that a hit in the same spot will cause less damage if the shot was made with a .32 instead of a .380.

So, Gramma, put the stupid little raven .32 back in the desk. you can't shoot worth a hoot and think that just waving it or shooting it once will end the threat. carry pepper spray and a sharp knife. I'm sure that the stupid little raven can hurt or kill someone, but i won't let you carry it around believing that it will not fail to save your life.

1. Here's a picture of the NAA prototype 32 HR mag revolver. Never made it to production and it is ugly. https://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?topic=2715.0

2. Here's a modern Russian break top that didn't make it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP-412_REX

3. India has a 32 breaktop aimed at the women's self-defense market

https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-01...designed-women-despite-whole-lot-indifference

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25727080 Check out the video

It's expensive but wonder if it would sell here for a cheaper price. Think it is a 32 SW Long though.

For a new made top break? It won't be. At the very least it will be the same, and I doubt that. It will be MORE expensive than a swing out style.
I agree. I can't see it being cheaper than current revolvers and I would expect it to be more expensive, not just comparable in price.

The ONLY sure, immediate stop with a pistol is a central nervous system shot-period.
It doesn't matter What the caliber.
Anything other than a CNS shot will rely on pain, shock, or blood loss to incapacitate.
Blood loss is absolutely the slowest of the 3.

Used to buy you could buy a 4 shot .357 Mag called a "COP"(COP stood for Compact Off-Duty Police).

Having actually shot one of these, I can comment with authority.
Unlike the blogger, I found the recoil noticeable with ,38 wadcutters, heavy with .38 ball, and painful with magnums.
Like the blogger, I found nothing to be called accuracy and frequent full profile keyholes.
And it FEELS heavy.
They made a scaled down .22 that might have been usable.

I've not been a fan of the top break revolver, with one exception: The spur trigger, single action .38 S&W bird head top break by Smith & Wesson from around the turn of the last century. By virtue of being single action, the frame was kept as compact as possible, and that spur trigger eliminated some of the bulk of modern DA revolvers. I believe Merwin Hulbert had a similar revolver, though not truly a top break. It was a "push me-pull you" contraption. But both revolvers were very compact even with four or five inch barrels.

When firing, these nestled low in the hand for very good point-ability.

Bob Wright

I had one of those S&W .38 single actions for CAS Pocket. Not really competitive with a DA but for its narrow window in time, it was great.

Problem is you’d need a new cartridge, or you’d need to load an old cartridge to higher pressures. But if you could build a five shot top break in 32 long and then issue ammo for it that was higher pressure (say 32 mag velocities) i think you’d really have something. Especially in an aluminum frame with a steel cylinder and barrel, I’ll bet you could make it under 9 ounces, and quite a bit smaller than a j frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem is you’d need a new cartridge...
Ideally, this is the case. You'd want a short, rimmed cartridge, probably in .36 caliber, with the capability to drive a 120gr bullet at about 900-1100fps.

As far as I know, there's not anything like that currently on the market. The old 9mm Federal round (which was basically stillborn) would have been a good choice--perhaps downloaded a little bit.

Sounds like a job for 9mmAR (9mm auto rimmed) similar to 45AR. Solves the extraction problems, plenty of basic science on the cartridge itself, just needs a rim.

Unfortunately it's a two part problem. Until there are enough revolvers chambered in 9mmAR there will be no 9mmAR and until there is a 9mmAR there will be no top break revolvers chambered in 9mmAR.

32 ACP would be a jam-o-matic if the design was anything similar to the older top breaks. The tiny rim would cause constant ejection problems unless the revolver was tipped upside down every time you reloaded.

A latch on the top of the frame is more inconvenient and anyone that has used one would know it requires much better hand dexterity than any of the current systems. The cylinder release on today’s revolvers sits positioned between the recoil shield and grips, which means it easy to reach, yet out of the way. Any release on or near the top of the frame will be harder to reach, easier to damage and/or much more complex.

If you focus on all the positives, ignore the negatives, assume it’ll somehow be cheaper than current revolvers, and it comes in a new magic caliber than it sounds like a great idea.

There are plenty of break top S&W’s out there still in shootable condition. These guns are surprisingly small, yet point well, and reasonably priced.

Sounds like a job for 9mmAR (9mm auto rimmed) similar to 45AR.

that round existed. (note the past tense) It was the 9mm Federal. Was.

Like a lot of other good ideas, it wasn't popular enough to survive the marketplace.

A latch on the top of the frame is more inconvenient and anyone that has used one would know it requires much better hand dexterity than any of the current systems. The cylinder release on today’s revolvers sits positioned between the recoil shield and grips, which means it easy to reach, yet out of the way. Any release on or near the top of the frame will be harder to reach, easier to damage and/or much more complex.

Agreed, a small latch on the top is awkward. But its not the only way to do it. Look at the latch on a Webley. The operating lever is positioned in about the same place as most side swing out revolvers cylinder latch.

Some people want a small, light, easy to operate top break revolver that is also durable, powerful, and cheap. They're not going to get it. I don't think ALL those things can be put in one revolver, but even if they could, the mass market for such a gun went away decades ago.

the mass market for such a gun went away decades ago.

Except in India, as I posted. Maybe someone in the USA could license that design. There are updated 32 SW Long Wadcutters and Hollow points. Not the ultimate manstopper.

However, no one would pay 2000 bucks for one.

I like breaktops, and I would buy a new offering, but they are no stronger than other designs that have been perfected for a century.
I also like .32 acp, but the market has moved on to .380 instead.
And nobody makes a centerfire revolver that is smaller and lighter than the plastic pocket .380s.
So it would be a niche market item, with few customers, therefore very expensive for a novelty safe queen.
I'd buy one, preferably in .32 H&R magnum, but most people wouldn't.

You guys that want .36 or 9mm are reinventing the wheel. A gun that size would be too big-might as well get a J frame. Bigger is not always better.
Tiny .32 acp revolvers were made 100+ years ago. Imagine what could be built now.
Nich gun? Sure-but if it were done properly there would probably be one in 1/3 of the purses in the country.

Back