Do you wear gloves when you clean your guns?

Never have and have used gas and carb cleaner to 'wash' my hands. Now that I'm realizing I'm not invincible, perhaps those nitrile gloves I have will get more use....

I wear blue nitrile gloves, snug but not tight. I can't imagine the cleaning stuff is good for you, and I do dislike wearing the gloves, but I'm only 27 so if it's gonna be bad for me in the long run I've got a long time left to suffer...

Nope never have. Worked in a garage when I was a teen and used leaded gas to wash parts. Even put it in an air powered sprayer to wash engine blocks etc. I can't do anything with gloves on. I don't even wear gloves when casting lead. If I did I'd burn myself.

Yes ,cleaners can be very bad for you and there are different gloves for different chemicals . Some cleaners have penetrants which carry chemicals into all the fine spaces . They also carry things through your skin.But if ypou use spray cleaners you're getting themdirectly into your lungs /Make sure you have very good ventilation !!

Hawg, that's both funny and 100% correct about the leaded gasoline, as any of us alive in the 60's and 70's are well aware. Actually, at 7 years old, my summer job was painting fence around my Dad's farm and there was plenty of it to keep me busy for all the summers of my youth. Watcha wanna bet that all that white paint that covered me every day was leaded? And to top it off, I washed the brushes out with leaded gasoline. Gloves were unheard of. And when it was hot, I drank lots of good cold water drawn from a well only 20 feet deep next to a cornfield sprayed often with atrazine. It's a wonder I have a brain or prostate left at all.

Nitrile gloves for most task as a long ago lab tech. its habit now plus the chemicals in gun products have become more strong, second issue is
ventilation, open window and fan in my shop, overall just good practice.
I'm 70 plus and going down fighting.

gloves

Lots of good points made here.

I never wear gloves or eye protection while cleaning but I am now giving that consideration.

I work as a part-time gunsmith at my friend's shop. I always wear nitrile gloves and sometimes my geezer goggles (magnifying glasses). The store owner, friend of mine, told me the customers were actually impressed. They said I was the only gunsmith who wear clean blue gloves, like someone working on precision machines.

Certainly they keep coming back because of the work we do, but the look of a pair of disposable gloves help boost the credibility.

-TL

I spray brake cleaner down the bore as a cleaner - and whatever that stuff has in it, I don't want on my skin or in my eyes.

I wear latex gloves and after my AR's muzzle brake directed some back in my face, I started using work glasses.

I do not wear gloves.

Wearing gloves is probably a smart thing to do.

I probably won't BUT!!! the comment about contact lenses and the stuff made me think hard. I don't, and most likely never will, wear contact lenses but this is something I WILL tell anybody I taking shooting. That is, I WILL warn them about cleaning chemicals and how some might transfer from their hands to their contact lenses.

Just because I will disregard a danger/irritation doesn't mean I shouldn't tell others about it.

Because of this thread I guess I have been warned.

Thanks.

I learned the hard way handling and slicing Haberneros and then touching my contacts. Ghost peppers and others hurt like hell as well; BUT they are not man-made chemicals that can cause permanent damage.

Yes

Yes, I wear the 9 mil Nitrile gloves when I clean my guns. and when I reload ammunition. I also wear the Nitrile gloves under thin leather gloves when I cast bullets.

Don't make my living as a gunsmith which I think there may be a need.
Being one who cleans his modern firearms once or twice a year. {>maybe?} My answer to this posed question is: No. I do not wear latex gloves. But my eyes are indeed always covered having to wear common everyday glass's which may be more important than the glove issue due to the harsh chemicals used in barrel cleaning products.

Like McGee, I only clean a couple times a year(I try for 3-4)
I don't clean my Glock after every outing.
I don't clean my .22s after every outing.
I don't shoot anything else all that often.

I have some of the thicker nitrile gloves around, but I usually forget to use them. If i was cleaning weekly or more as some do, I would certainly worry about it more.

I have a friend who was diagnosed with ALS three years ago and died 6/24 at age 52. The best guess is to how he contracted it is exposure to solvents while working as a mechanic 25 years ago. I have not heretofore worn gloves - you can bet I am going to start. I do not have any evidence supporting cause and effect, but it is such a simple thing, and there are many, many rounds I have not yet sent down range.

Sorry for your loss.
I have a friend who was diagnosed with ALS three years ago and died 6/24 at age 52. The best guess is to how he contracted it is exposure to solvents while working as a mechanic 25 years ago.
My opinion this is far fetched. I was in automotive repair starting in 1968 through 1985, then running my own repair shop , then owning, driving, maintaining 18 wheelers. Working using chemicals, cleaning solvents, being around asbestos from brake shoes, clutch discs and so far so good. My question to you is, what did Lou Gehrig do to contract the disease.

Back