Do you wear gloves when you clean your guns?

desibaba

Whenever I clean my AR or my XDm I always end up with gunk under my nails (even though I keep them trimmed). I cant imagine CLP, Hoppes bore cleaner or Rem oil being good for you. Do you guys wear gloves (mechanics style) when cleaning your firearms?

I sometime use disposable solvent resistant rubber/latex gloves. They give me more feel for small parts than mechanic's style gloves. Generally tho, I don't use anything, just make sure to wash my hands thoroughly afterwards.

Good point !!!

I cant imagine CLP, Hoppes bore cleaner or Rem oil being good for you. Do you guys wear gloves (mechanics style) when cleaning your firearms?
Occasionally I do but really don't give it enough thought. You make a good point and something that we should all be aware of, including proper ventilation. ..... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

you should
the mechanic industry was slow to require protective gear for workers, many have paid the price with their health later in life after absorbing lead, chemicals and solvents through their skin.

I do, especially because I wear contacts and I do not want those chemicals getting in my eyes; some of which are easily absorbed into the skin. Then again, I wear those gloves when handling household chemicals as well.

Yes I do, the disposable nitrile gloves you can purchase at Lowes!:cool:
Since being involved with nasty chemicals during my working career and after a bout of cancer I am no longer taking chances, with nothing! ;)

No, But I suspect we all should wear gloves for this purpose. I suspect I was not taught properly during my youth along with the rest of humanity. The U.S. Army never provided them; although they provided cigarettes in our C-Rations. :(

I wonder if the U.S. Military provides firearms cleaning gloves for protection in the modern era. ???

I have nitrile gloves on the cleaning bench, but I must admit that I don't always wear them. It's a very good idea to wear gloves when cleaning, not only to minimize contact with the lead in the shooting residue, but also to minimize contact with the cleaning solvents.

No I don't, and I know I should after looking at some of the spec sheets on the chemicals we use.

I don't wear gloves when I gas up my lawn mower either and probably should.

I don't wear gloves for any tasks, but I have started using an eyedropper to put solvent on the patch. Of course, a little bit gets on my fingers from discarding the old patch, but I have a rag handy and use it all the time. Since I've started with foaming bore cleaners I'm in even less contact with chemicals.

Years ago I cleaned a gun with a strong solvent (I think it was Eezox), and I did not wear gloves. I washed my hands after I was finished. That evening when I removed my contact lenses, I got a serious chemical burn on one eyeball from something that had remained on my hands. My eye recovered after 2 or 3 days with no obvious long term damage, but I think my experience carries a serious lesson.

I always wear disposable nitrile gloves and eye protection when cleaning guns or reloading. Sam's Club has bulk pack of 200 gloves, I have a stack of those boxes on hand and replenish as needed.

Keeps hands clean from chemicals, keeps guns and brass clean from hand sweat and fingerprints.

Back