Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have guns with a lock, and use the lock frequently

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I have no guns with an internal lock

Votes: 55 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Safestuffer

Do you use the internal lock on your gun, if it has one?

not looking to start a debate about whether they should exist, i was just wondering if anyone uses them.

I will start by saying I have a few pistols that have a lock, and have never used the lock. I also don't have children.

I had a Ruger LCR that had one. I never used it. You had to remove the grip to get to the key hole. I think I tried it out once just to see how it worked, but never used it in any practical sense. I have kids in the house, but guns that aren't with on me or being cleaned/worked on are locked up. The last thing I want is to need to use a gun, and have it not fire because I forgot to unlock the thing.

Not now !!!

In my current situation, in life, don't use them and never needed them. I can see some family situations when they could be employed. Keep mind that some gun manufactures felt that they should take some "good-faith" steps to add "some" safety measures.... :)

Be Safe !!!

Tried it once on one to see how it worked. Have never tried it again. I guess it would make sense for some people & situations.

No, I don't use them. I do have ONE gun that has one, a Ruger New Vaquero. I have never used the lock, nor have I drilled out the hole in the grip so it can be used (without taking off the grip panel). As far as that one is concerned, I don't see a keyhole, the lock isn't there...

I guess it would make sense for some people & situations.

I've been chasing this around in my head for years now, and I still cannot find a situation where using a lock on a gun makes any sense.

Seems stupid to me, to lock a loaded gun. DOUBLE stupid to use a trigger lock, and dangerous, besides. The only thing an internal lock gets you is not risking pulling the trigger.

If its risky to leave it loaded, unload it. Or lock the loaded gun inside something. The time needed to open secure storage is very low, with the right kind of safe, less time than it takes to load a revolver with loose rounds, I think...

people have made the argument about it being quicker to unlock the gun (itself) than get it from a safe storage. I don't see that. To unlock the gun itself, you need an itty bitty key, right? Where is that key when you need it in a hurry? On a key ring with 8 other keys? In the drawer with the gun? (:eek:)

personally, under extreme stress (and needing a gun "right now" is in that category for me) I think I would be able to load an empty gun faster and more surely than finding a key, and getting it in that little hole...especially in the dark...

If you have though of a situation where having a loaded locked gun is actually better than having the gun unloaded or having the loaded gun locked in something, I'll happily listen...

Good point 44. I was thinking more about kids or a gun you're not using locked in a safe, that if it was stolen, it could not be readily used. Personally if have a hard time keeping up with that little key. I think it's more of a mfg CYA move in there part. I would have no use for them and almost all my guns stay loaded

I know a few of ours have them. I probably should remove all the parts associated with the locks to prevent an accident.

Some have locks some don't. The 1911 had one and it locked up on the range with me. Swapped out the hammer now it is in the no lock group.

Doug

Then again !!!

I've been chasing this around in my head for years now, and I still cannot find a situation where using a lock on a gun makes any sense.
A lock on a gun doesn't make sense but once it's there for someone's use, it can. ..... ;)

Case in point; A buddy of mine asked me if I could get him some gun cable locks. The state gives these to us at no cost. I got him six and then he said that one of his new 870's has an internal lock and could he just use that? On any day, he has two to three of his Grandkids and their buddies running around the house and his man-cave. This Grandpa wants to lock his guns because Grandma says so. .... :)

Be prudent and;
Be Safe !!!

Whenever possible I either avoid guns with them or disable them. I keep my guns in a safe, when I come home the safe gets unlocked so I can get a gun if I need to. No kids in the house, just responsible adults I trust.

I have one on my 686. I checked it. But only to make sure that it wasn't in a half-way position or something. I locked it. Then unlocked it.

I think the key is in my safe somewhere.

I tried it once but never bothered again because it's not practical. I will say I do own guns with locks and never had a problem because of it. I own Rugers and Smiths and would never let an internal lock be a deciding factor one way or the other.

Laura

I have one gun with a lock. I tested it to make sure that I had it unlocked, and then put the key away. When this gun is not on my person it's in the gun safe, so in that is the "lock" I use.

Taurus' lock in the revolver hammer. I locked it once, to see how it worked. It's been unlocked before and since.

IMHO, it's on a pretty stiff detent. I doubt it would ever lock itself under recoil, like folks are worried about with the S&W's.

---edit to add---

I forgot about the lock on the Bersa. Ditto, tried it once to see how it worked, unlocked since. Stiff detent, unlikely to auto-lock.

Last edited:
This Grandpa wants to lock his guns because Grandma says so. ....

Ok, THAT makes sense. :D

married long time, grandpa myself, know the rule, "when Mama's not happy...."

I don't think Grandma is making sense (I think if the guns are unloaded, ammo stored properly/securely there no point to locking the gun.

BUT, in this case, what Grandpa is doing (and why) makes perfect sense!

Back