Do you think more game is wounded by bows or muzzleloaders?

Not by the tool, but the user!

Hi Guys
Heard some really good responses. I have been hunting with both a rifle and a bow for years.
I agree with those of you that side with it being the user of the weapon, not the weapon itself that wounds animals.
I routinely practice up to 60 yds with my bow, but wouldn't consider a shot over 40 yds. I can also routinely place all of my arrows in the center section of a pie plate at 60 yds(probably a 6" group or less), but it is alot different shooting at an animal while in full camo crouched behind a tree than it is standing in front of a hay bale. Before I hunt every year I shoot for a couple of weeks prior to the season with broadheads to be sure of shot placement. Most of the bowhunters I know do the same. Unfortunately you can't control whether or not the animal will "jump the string" and you might not get a good clean hit. The closer the shot the less likely the animal will be able to get out of the way in time. Especially if they are not aware of your presence.
I also routinely practice with my rifle at the range and I will not hunt until I am satisfied with my groups at the range, out to 300 yds.
In my area of the country, the majority of the big game hunters road hunt, which sometimes only allows for fleeting snap shots at game. Now don't get me wrong, I am not against road hunting, but if the hunter can't be sure of a good shot maybe the shot shouldn't be taken. I think it is the responsibility of every hunter, no matter what the weapon to become proficient enough with it to kill game cleanly at whatever yardage he or she is comfortable with and to avoid the temptation to take a shot beyond that yardage.

Last edited:
All weapons combined, nowhere near what we do with out vehicles. And, it will continue that way because we have the same speed limits at night as we do for daytime. The same idiots who gut-shoot deer drive 70 miles an hour at dusk and dawn.

taa, cs :D

Back