Do you really want two of the same type rifle?

Tikirocker:
The guys in the US who can attend a large gun show might see an original Enfield come in the door. If we attend six shows in this area, might see one.

Here in Memphis, at shows from Southaven MS to Jackson TN almost all LEs are messed up, but to be tactful, we say sporterized.

Last edited:
Quote:
I often out shoot modern sporting rifles that use scopes using only iron sights on my 1942 No1 MkIII* Lithgow Enfield...

If you were able to outshoot someone's modern scoped rifle with your iron-sighted MkIII, it's probably because you're a better shooter. Not to say milsurps aren't accurate (I know they are), but to outshoot in those circumstances tells me the other person was outmatched, not the rifle.

I agree. I love old military rifles and have a large collection of them, but modern rifles are far more accurate as a general rule. Plus a number of the old rifles aren't quite they use to be 50 or more years ago due to wear, mistreatment, etc.

Last edited:
but modern rifles are far more accurate as a general rule

I have seen this proven wrong too many times to count ... the issue of accuracy is more to do with wear and accurizing than age or type. There are plenty of modern rifles that shoot average out of the box - all rifles can be made accurate given condition and the owners ability to accurize it.

My No1 MkIII shooting irons is no less accurate than a modern scoped rifle ... that's the point.

Tiki.

"accurizing" then you're not talking factory rifles.

Production methods have gotten better with time. Factories as well as gunsmiths are able to produce more accurate rifles with modern methods than they could years ago. Take a look at average winning match results over the last 50 years and you'll see group size has shrunk significantly.

You could have a very above average Enfield or you could be shooting against people with bad rifles or guys that just can't shoot. Peep sights are great, but I'd have a hard time believing anyone can shoot the same rifle with a peep as accurate at 100 yards as they could with a good 36X scope.

I could understand why a guy would want some duplicates, Especially some of the nice rifles that are basicly new, but have been stored for years in cosmo.
Those rifles will only increase in value. Not to mention, its hard to get a the same quality, and value in modern produced firearms without taking out a second morgage.

If you are collecting, say Mosin-Nagants the variations in arsenals, country's, and models is considerable, so to say you want one of each you will have a bunch with the same name, different model numbers tho.

Back