Do you really want two of the same type rifle?

Now have two Enfield #5s, one #4, Yugo Mauser and a Garand.

Was tempted to buy a nice Yugo 48 at Saturday's show, but using those open sights is much more challenging than aperture sights.

If you have a duo, trio of a given type, is it partly because you have more luck with certain sights etc?

Well, I don't have any "duplicates" in my collection.

I'm a big advocate of duplicates in working guns, however: If it's a gun you might use for self-defense, an expensive gun class, the big target match, or a long-anticipated hunting trip, it pays to have two or three. Guns only break when they're lonely, after all. ;)

It depends on what you mean by type, but I'd say yes. For instance, I have an M91/38 and two M91/30s. I still want a M44 and an M39. I have a Austrian Mannlicher Steyr - I wouldn't turn my nose up at a Hungarian one. I have a beech K-31 and want a walnut K-31.

I'm with Tamara here. I don't have many duplicates in my modest accumulation. Those relatively few are almost exclusively the ones I've come to prefer as primary "go-to's" for SD/survival use.

My rationale, in brief: When it comes to essential gear, when you're liable to need it most, one of something = none should anything go wrong with it. At the very least, two of something can = one under those circumstances and that could very easily make the all the difference there can be on a really bad day.

Last edited:
I have one Mosin Nagant M44. Wish I would have bought a bunch more when they were $70. I am still kick myself for not get a Mosin Nagant M38 when they were $70 too!

The only true duplicates I have are Yugo 49/56 SKS rifles. I ordered the shooter grade trying to get one of the "graffiti" rifles that some Yugo dude had carved with his family crest or other personal markings. When the BBT brought the first one, it looked like brand new, unfired, and packed full of cosmoline. I ordered another a few months later, and got a similar SKS in like new condition. I only really want one Yugo, so some day I'll clean them both up, check them out, and keep the best of the two.
My other duplicates are M95s Not exact same rifles though. One is a Budapest, the other is an Austrian so they are different rifles of the same design.

I'm Weak

I couldn't help myself back in '87/88 when the Swedes were first coming in and were so darned cheap, I had to get two M96s. Love em

Got a couple (or more) '03's, a couple War Babies, a pair of No2-MkIIIs & No4-MkIs, a couple Arisakas. Couple of K98s. A 96/11 and K31 (close buy not exact 2nds).

sigh

If only they could talk, they'd say I'm sick cause they never get out and make much noise anymore. To be fair, about half were my Dad's that I inherited, so maybe I'm only half sick.

What really makes me sick is that my kids don't really appreciate them or want them but I figure w/ 2 each, I can "will" them to son and daughter (or grandson). Let them get rid of the darned heavy old things.

There are so many variations of the No4 Enfield you could own well over two dozen without duplicates. The Yugo Mausers are similar, well over a dozen variations. The Swiss K-31's, not so much, about a half dozen well cover that model.:D

Are milsurps (what I presume we're talking about in this thread) really your "go-to guns"?

:eek:Yep for now. The only long guns I own are the 2 Nagants and have all the confidence in them that they can do what may be needed in a pinch.

I own 2 each of the following: M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, SA 1911 Loaded .45ACP, and Ruger 10/22. I'm familiar with the manual of arms for each type, and if one goes bellyup, I'm ready to go w/ the other. I keep the more valuable one of each type locked away in long-term storage, and the other is the "shooter". I'm really happy I've been able to do it, and I recommend everyone having their guns in twos.

P.S. I am really bummed out that I've run out of money, because I dearly want another Garand, and now that the CMP has released the Service grade Winchesters, I'm almost depressed...BOOHOO

There is no "go to gun" for me, unless the Taliban or Hezbollah invade west TN.
They would not be shooting at our house from 100 yards away, standing between other houses.

Today on a business trip in Flint, MI, went into a Dunham's store for the first time, and they have some decent milsurp rifles: K-31, "RC" K-98s, Chileno Mauser (non-match) etc.
Gander Mt. has a so-so LE #4 and decent Czech VZ-24, but missing front sight guards.

My next objective is a second Garand and LE #4 (very few "non-screwed up" found near Memphis).

Damn straight my Milsurps are my go to guns ... I often out shoot modern sporting rifles that use scopes using only iron sights on my 1942 No1 MkIII* Lithgow Enfield, 300 yards the last time I did that. You should see the looks on peoples faces when you keep plugging that 5 ring ... as John Wayne once said' No brag, just fact :D

Tiki.

I often out shoot modern sporting rifles that use scopes using only iron sights on my 1942 No1 MkIII* Lithgow Enfield...

If you were able to outshoot someone's modern scoped rifle with your iron-sighted MkIII, it's probably because you're a better shooter. Not to say milsurps aren't accurate (I know they are), but to outshoot in those circumstances tells me the other person was outmatched, not the rifle.

Are milsurps (what I presume we're talking about in this thread) really your "go-to guns"?

"go-to guns" as in SHTF? It would depend on the given situation. A city dweller would need a different gun than someone living in the high plains.

I guess if I had a "go-to gun" for SHTF it would be one of my AR's, hi cap mags and light ammo. M1A would work also, a high capacity magazine in a semi auto just has more fire power. If I had to I could do fine with a Enfield or any mil-surp bolt gun.

Most guys I know that have a "go to gun" it's an AR or AK, both mil-surps.

If the poop hits the fan, Then I'm building a catapult. That will be my go-to weapon. I'll use dogs and cats from the nearby animal shelter for ammunition. That way, I'll be environmentally sound!

If you were able to outshoot someone's modern scoped rifle with your iron-sighted MkIII, it's probably because you're a better shooter. Not to say milsurps aren't accurate (I know they are), but to outshoot in those circumstances tells me the other person was outmatched, not the rifle.

I agree, but what that really tells me is that the only difference between modern rifles and a well set up Milsurp is the nut behind the bolt ... that is my entire point. There is no reason why a Milsurp ought not to be a go to gun.

Tiki.

Back