Do you REALLY need to clean your rifle?

I don't like powder residue on my rifles, inside or out, so I clean them after a range session. I don't worry too much about it, though. It's just something I do. All part of the fun of owning firearms!:)

There's absolutely, positively, undeniably no reason whatsoever to clean a modern firearm that shoots noncorrosive ammo after every time it's used. None.

Except maybe this:

Mostly it's just rust avoidance. Powder residue is hygroscopic.

So unless you live where relative humidity is always zero, clean your gun of powder fouling before you put away for a long time......

That and copper fouling will degrade accuracy. Different guns pick up copper at different rates ..... when your groups open up unacceptably, get the copper out.

That said, I'd say it's a safe bet that this is mostly true:

Most army and marine vets put more wear and tear on a firearm by cleaning, than actual shooting.

....... hmmm......

Most people put more wear and tear on a firearm by improper cleaning, than actual shooting.

FIFY.

..... mostly because "most people" don't actually shoot that much ...... I find that the vast majority of hunters are "one boxers" ..... buy a box of 20 before hunting season, and are good for the year. It's easy to forget that the people on this board are nearly all enthusiasts who shoot regularly..... and in volume. I keep my centerfire rifle ammo in boxes of 50, 60 ..... pistol ammo in 100 round cases, or loose in 4 pound coffee cans ..... and won't bother taking a gun to the range with less than 100 rounds...... and won't go to the range with less than 1/2 dozen guns (have kids)..... even the guys at the indoor handgun ranges don't usually shoot more than 100 rounds/gun in a session..... and bring one or two guns ..... they spend as much time loading mags on the line as they do actually shooting ........

So, the answer for me is: Yes. I have to clean my rifle(s) (and my handguns) after every range trip. YMMV.

FWIW, I live in a very humid state. The guns I do not shoot often, I wipe down every 6 months no matter what to ensure blued guns don't rust.
However, the guns I shoot regularly, I will at time put 500 rounds through my AK's or AR's on a Saturday or 100 rounds through my .338 Lapua in an afternoon. I don't have a "rule" but after 250-300 rounds ill push a patch down the barrel, or 100 rounds in my bolt guns. Semi automatic pistols I clean after about 250 rounds and revolvers about 50-75

It depends on whether you live in a dry climate, or like me, in Maine, where sometimes it gets really humid. I ruined a gun barrel by not cleaning and storing it in a closet, near a sewer stack. By the middle of winter, I could barely see through the .223 barrel and it took lots of soaking before a rod could be pushed through. It was badly pitted!

That said, I like to clean chrome-moly barrels soon after getting home from the range. Stainless barrels get cleaned less often.

Semi-auto barrels tend to get really dry in the chamber and leade, so be sure to lube those areas. Break-Free works fine, but don't over-do it.

More relatively new 742 Rems that aren't cleaned after shooting a few rounds end up with rusty chambers. The first shot after storage will often result in a stuck case with the rim torn off. Use that chamber brush and lube lightly, then pass a dry patch through the chamber before firing.

JP

I've recently (Saturday) reversed my position on leaving my rifle bores fouled during the hunting season. After my range session a couple of weeks ago I cleaned my rifles as always.

Before shooting on Saturday I ran a dry patch through the bore. First shot out of a cold bore was centered on the bullseye at 100 yards. I let my daughter shoot it then I pulled out the other rifle I shot two weeks before. It was less than .25 inch above dead center out of a cold bore.

I had always fouled the barrel because the first shot was always a couple of inches off out of a cold bore. In a hunting situation I want to be dead on because the first shot may be the only one I get. I just need to make sure to run a dry patch through before hunting.

Yes!
I really screwed up and left residue in a very nice M-1 Garand Service Grade (+) bore for about eight months.

A guy who has competed at Camp Perry peeked at the chamber and saw a bit of rust. He offered to give it the correct type of cleaning.

The M2 Ball (Lake City etc)reportedly was Not the type with corrosive primers.
Possibly some humidity had seeped into the air-conditioned room which had been converted from attic space.

I've discovered that Marlin 30-30 micro-groove barrels need to be cleaned after about 30 shots fired or accuracy is degraded considerably.

Jack

Some people also don't think they need to wash their car or clean their tools after they use them because they will only get dirty again next time they use them. If that is you, fine. Your property, your money, do whatever works for you.

I however refuse to accept the premise that cleaning your firearms is ever bad thing, outside of very specific use cases relating to the bore.

It's simple in mind and doesn't need to be over complicated or over thought.

1. Use proper tools - aka get a decent cleaning rod that won't tear up your bore or crown, use a chamber guide when you can, no need to constantly be using metal on metal tools. Don't be afraid to use a nylon brush when metal is unneeded.

2. Clean commensurate to how dirty it is - Again don't constantly scrub it with brushes and metal dental picks. If you only shot a box or two just wipe down the bore with a solvent, oil then dry patch with a jag. Wipe down the action and feed ramps with a lightly oiled rag or patch, and put it away. Reserve the bronze brushes until needed.

Last edited:
've discovered that Marlin 30-30 micro-groove barrels need to be cleaned after about 30 shots fired or accuracy is degraded considerably.

Care to elaborate? ... what round were you shooting through it? I do know that microgroove and cast lead boolits don't "groove" for very long ......

Back