Do you practice shooting from both sides?

Do you practice shooting both left and right handed?

• No - I just use my dominant side

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Yes - I shoot pistol left and right handed

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Yes - I shoot rifle both left and right handed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - I shoot both pistol and rifle from both sides

Votes: 22 25.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jim243 said:
I think it is a silly mindset that one thinks they "Need" to shoot weak side. I shoot targets not people and doubt that I will EVER be in a gun fight where I will need to switch hands.

You know, after seeing how often people got hit in the hands during Force-onForce, I'm not all that sure it would be a rare event if you did have the misfortune to be in a gunfight.

Not only that; but it pops up occasionally in reporting of real life gunfights as well. The now famous Blitz308 thread comes to mind as an example.

I've played a ton of paintball, and I can tell you that hits to the gun/hand/face are common.

I'm a left hander when it comes to writing, but otherwise right-handed when it comes to anything else like shooting. Back when I shot in our Action Shooting league I excelled at the "weak-hand" stages, and I do really well shooting right handed on the left tape of the paintball field (i.e.- leaning left side out from behind the barricade, but shooting off the right shoulder).

In my experience- the old PPC style barricade is the closest parallel I can draw with FoF barricade shooting. I designed a stage once that was 6 standing left side, 6 standing right side, then kneeling left, kneeling right, etc. When I started getting involved in paintball I met the last guy to use a pump in tournament play (Marty from the Ironmen) and his "Marty Drill" was almost the exact same thing, just with two guys using trees as barricades shooting at each other with paintball guns- what a coincidence. And fun.

I don't think weak hand shooting needs to be complicated- some dry firing would be a great way to start.

Yes. I am cross dominant, so it's actually completely comfortable, to me, to fire from either the left or right shoulder.

It's actually really interesting, learning how to work a right handed bolt while shooting from the left shoulder. It's tricky at first, but once you get it, it's not as hard as it seems.

Like most others said, I do practice my pistol shooting with both hands. In case the need ever arises in a defensive situation, I like being proficient with both hands. I am not as good left-handed as I am with my right, but proficient enough for center mass hits at defensive distances.

I do not shoot my rifles or shotguns left-handed. I do not think it would be practical to spend time doing so, so I chose not to learn.

Unfortunately, I can't shoot rifles weak handed as I am blind in that eye. I am looking to get offset sights to use when shooting weak handed.
I shoot pistols both ways.

Rick

Was Trained to shoot handguns with Strong and weak hand shooting. But not so much with Shoulder arms.

I clicked yes, with pistols. But, it's pretty rare.
I'm cross dominant anyway, so I find - oddly - I generally have tighter groups with my left hand. I think because it feels unnatural I focus more on the basics.
It's just slower to get back on target, and it requires transferring my gun from right to left after I draw.
So I don't practice a lot.

Sometimes - just for fun - I do try to shoot at 2 targets with 2 guns at the same time. I'm fairly certain there's no real world application for that though.

One thing that I picked up from - I think - Mas Ayoob's "stressfire", is to practice shooting one handed at targets behind me. Since most of the time I'm out and about I'm with my kids, it seems like a good idea to train so that I can shoot while holding/shielding a little one. I'd never really thought of it until reading about it.
For me, it was more awkward to shoot behind myself than it was to shoot with my left - probably because it forces me to not only use my right eye, but also use my peripheral vision to aim.
Now that I'm writing this I wonder if it would be easier if I used my left hand/eye.......

Yes. I practice shooting my pistol weak hand and strong hand with one and two hands on the gun. I do this for a self defense situation as well as IDPA

Back