Do you practice shooting from both sides?

Do you practice shooting both left and right handed?

• No - I just use my dominant side

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Yes - I shoot pistol left and right handed

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Yes - I shoot rifle both left and right handed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - I shoot both pistol and rifle from both sides

Votes: 22 25.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iraiam

I was wondering how many of you practice shooting from both left and right sides, or to put it differently, do you practice with your non-dominant side. is this a valuable skill to have?

I am right handed and practice shooting pistols right and left handed, I have practiced enough that I can proficiently carry, draw, and fire left handed as well.

I also practice shooting my AR rifles from both right and left shoulders. I used to practice other rifles from my left as well, but since I had to have a medical implant in my left shoulder area, the 5.56 AR is the only rifle I can shoot from my left side anymore. (I haven't told my doctor I do this either):o

Strangely enough, I can usually shoot as accurately southpaw as i can regular, (but slightly slower) but I cannot write or throw anything with my left?

I shoot my .45 left handed, two handed, and strong hand. It's rare that I shoot a rifle or shotgun left handed, it's not near as difficult as shooting a pistol, so there's little need for practice.

I think it's important to practice shooting a pistol weak hand, if you're ever in a gun fight and you get shot in your strong hand or otherwise injure it, then your weak hand will be the only means of using the pistol to defend yourself.

Something about shooting a pistol left handed makes me shoot better strong hand. I guess it improves my focus or something.

Last edited:
I think I was first exposed to shooting either lefty or right at defensive rifle and handgun training courses. Then also it's often used at IDPA competitions which i frequent.

I certainly see the value in being able to finish the fight with either strong or "weak" hand.

This is one of those things I need to work on, yet I tend to procrastinate. Ideally, yes, I would be able too.

The reality is I can't hit the broad side of a barn with my left hand. :o

It's so demorelizing that I don't practice at it like I should.

Hard habit to break....

In my armed forces days(active duty MP/95B, now in 2013: 31B) we had to re-qual on a 9mmNATO range using both strong & weak hand training.
We also had to shoot the M9s from different positions; standing, prone, barricade, etc. It wasn't easy.
In my own firearm training with my own revolvers & pistols, I shoot with both hands to feel confident if I had a "wounded officer" event.
Some gun owners I know avoid doing it but I think it's a good skill to have or at least feel capable to protect yourself if the angle/position requires it.

Some top instructors like Massad Ayoob even shoot entire pistol matches weak handed(and win ;) ).
Im not that good yet. :D

In my LEO training, both initial and in service, I had to shoot qualification courses that included weak hand shooting with the handgun. In later years, I shot courses that included simulating being injured and on the ground, on my back and on my belly. Our firearms instructors learned more extensive shooting skills than those which we had to train on, such as racking the slide with only one hand available.

I had to from a practical stand-point.

I am a left handed shooter; having to draw and shoot with my left hand while sitting the the driver's seat does NOT allow for good defensive or offensive shooting.

From where you're sitting, imagine you are behind the wheel and go through the motions of LH draw (don't forget about your seat belt) and see where you can point your firearm (remember the door is scant itches from your arm); how easy/hard it would be to retain your firearm; how easy/hard it would be for the BG to leverage against your arm to point your firearm backs towards you or your passenger(s).

Yep, I practice RH shooting at 2 - 4 yard distances with my different handguns.

I shoot pistol with both hands. Had to learn, PPC competition. The first time I shot left handed was utterly embarrassing. Pathetic actually. Quickly learned, and I think most people can if they try. Really, you have to learn. What happens if your dominate hand becomes incapacitated for some reason?

I am right handed, left eye dominant. I shoot rifles left handed because of that but if I switch to right arm I do just as well. Shooting a bolt gun the "right" way just feels wrong now! The bolt's in the wrong place!

I practice pistol strong, weak, and both, but always left eye unless I have a scope on a rifle that I can use with my right eye.

I only practice left hand pistol shooting one handed, as the only reason I could see needing to shoot it left handed is if I'm unable to use my right.

I need to shoot rifle left handed more often. It always feels awkward for me to pick-up the sight picture, even with a red dot optic.

I think it is a silly mindset that one thinks they "Need" to shoot weak side. I shoot targets not people and doubt that I will EVER be in a gun fight where I will need to switch hands.

The one issue I have with shooting weak side is that regardless of which hand I would use, I am still "Right Eye Dominant" and a poor shot with my left eye.

Stay safe, stay out of gun fights and be well.
Jim

Shoot in USPSA matches at least once a month and it is not uncommon for at least one stage to require either strong hand or weak hand shooting. In anticipation of those matches, will frequently practice with my weak hand. It can be done, but it definitely takes some practice.

I will admit I do not practice weak-hand shooting as often as I should, even knowing it is more difficult for me to keep tight groups left handed. I do believe it is a necessary skill for anyone who carries a weapon.

I think it is a silly mindset that one thinks they "Need" to shoot weak side. I shoot targets not people and doubt that I will EVER be in a gun fight where I will need to switch hands.

Jim243 I doubt I will ever be in a gunfight. If in one I also doubt I will ever need to use my weak hand. Once in one though would not be a great time to learn a new skill. Your response is interesting based on your signature. Preparing for war requires acquiring all the skills needed to pursue it successfully.:p

My brother and I do that on our targets.Kinda like playing horse. Use the off hand till one misses, he buys the pizza.

Its a right-handed world and I'm a south paw. Learned a long time ago to improvise, adapt and over come. Shooting handgun from both sides came fairly easily, though I'm left-eye dominant. Shooting a rifle from the "wrong" took more practice and some coaching from a former Marine shooting instructor. Still feels strange, but...

I only practice left hand pistol shooting one handed, as the only reason I could see needing to shoot it left handed is if I'm unable to use my right.

^^ Me too. ^^

And I shoot quite well one-handed left, I might add. I always smile at IDPA events when I learn of a stage where one must shoot "support hand only."

(I shoot revolver in IDPA, btw.)

Back