Do you practice point-shooting?

I've been practicing the maneuver most easily seen in the Tom Cruise movie "Collateral." (Hit man goes out on the town doing hits. Encounters 2 punks who try to rob him...)

Draw and fire two shots at arm's length or closer while keeping your gun arm elbow pinned to your side. (This to prevent just thrusting the gun to your assailant where he can remove it from your grasp. ) Free arm must remain planted on your belly so as to stay out of harm's way.

Then, when you've stepped back a pace or two, move the gun to a proper 2-handed sighting hold and continue shooting and backing until the target stops threatening.

In my drill, I continue applying double-taps until the gun runs dry. I can cover a lot of ground in reverse before all 15 rounds are gone.

The draw and pivot is a point shooting maneuver and took a small amount of practice to learn how to align it for best hits.

Sleuth,

While I am not a huge proponent of point shooting (go read all the debates here and at GT about that and you will find that out), but even the California Highway Patrol train with it. You need to read about Lou Chiodo (he was a CHP instructor for many years, well known.)

http://www.gunfightersltd.com/

So it's not some mumbo-jumbo.

I'm a sighted fire and retention shooting advocate but I do see there are skillful people who do use it well.

Deaf

I've been practicing the maneuver most easily seen in the Tom Cruise movie "Collateral." (Hit man goes out on the town doing hits. Encounters 2 punks who try to rob him...)
They had already taken his property before he arrived on the scene and he called them back.

If you watch the scene in slow-motion you can see that the second gunman had to bobble his draw in order to make things work out well for Tom's character. Drawing against multiple armed opponents at close range is not a great recipe for success.

first post

Interesting thread. I have a bit of military service and used, what I thought, was a common training technique. We taped line levels to the top of the various weapons and forced muscle memory to make it comfortable. It became natural to keep the weapon level while moving and pointing. With consistent practice and a good stock weld I can still do two to the targets chest while moving room to room. As distance increases to the targets the sights come into play. Not for everybody, but it works for me. jus sayin

FWIW I sometimes practice drawing my S&W bodygaurd .38+P from a pocket holster and fire from the hip at a target 10' away. In my opinion this would be employed only as a last ditch attempt to survive a lethal encounter. At present between 70%-80% of my shots are inside the eight ring of a combat silhouette target. I would certainly employ the sights if time allowed.

Back