Do you let others shoot your guns at the range?

I have a weird looking Chiappa Rhino, so it gets attention and people want to shoot it. A few have asked and I have no problems encouraging them to shoot it if they are interested in doing so. Ammo isn't that expensive.

I have let some shoot my guns but it is guys that are regulars at the range and know what they are doing and not just wanting to play with someone’s gun that is different or has upgrades.

The few times the opportunity presented itself I have let strangers shoot my guns at the range. It feels good when you bring someone else some enjoyment regardless of how small that enjoyment might be.

Not usually

Mostly it has to be people I know from the range as regulars or close friends and/or their kids with close supervision. Most people don't care if they scratch your gun cause it's not their problem when they are finished. I did let an 85 year old WWII navy vet I liked to visit with at the range shoot my 40 Hi power years ago at the range. It was as much an honor for me to have him shoot one of my guns as it was for him to shoot something new. That was over 20 years ago and I'm sure he's gone by now. A wonderful joyful man.

I am more than a bit of an introvert and virtually never approach anyone at a range. Every so often, there are obvious social cues... head nods, eye contact, smiles, etc... that cause me to engage briefly. I will then go through the social niceties and ask about their weapons if they seem interested in talking after the typical exchange about the weather and such.

I have never asked to fire any of their weapons and never had anyone ask to shoot mine. Possibly because mine are not very interesting. I don't ask others because I literally feel like I'm saying "Hey, do you mind if I spend some of your money while also wasting some of your time, for no reason?"

Far beyond guns, I am uncomfortable using other people's possessions unless necessary.

Enjoy "hooking" them on Traditional M/L's

Regardless of the firearm, I never ask to shoot someone else's firearm. Now then, if offered, I might and it depends what it is. Most of the time, I won't let someone shoot, on their request. There have been some exceptions like;..;)

I was at a public range shooting one of my TC-Traditional. Two kids at the next bench commented that this looked like fun. You do the math on what followed.... :cool:
I even tried to hook their mother, into shooting and she declined. …. :o

Be Safe !!!

I let those who are interested shoot my guns, and over the years I have been able to shoot other people guns. That has allowed me to shoot guns that normally I would probably never have occasion to shoot, or own. A number of times someone who has shown an interest in a gun I own were thinking about buying something similar and was wanting to see if they liked it before they bought one.

I occasionally do, but I generally prefer to know somebody and how they handle a gun. I generally let any of my gun range friends shoot any of my guns with a cautioning word regarding dropping the slide on an empty round.

I have occasionally been invited to shoot another club member's gun. Others have rarely expressed any interest whatsoever in shooting any of my firearms. In any case, I would not allow strangers shoot my guns.

It never crossed my mind to let a stranger shoot my pistols (many being high end 1911’s) on the other hand if I’m there with a friend, I always insist they shoot a bunch of my ammo through guns they’re not likely to ever have the chance to try.

At one of my club's 3-gun matches, a number of guys showed up that I had never seen before, and they had quit a few suppressed handguns and rifles. I got to shoot a lot of ammo through them. I've also been able to shoot a .50 BMG, full auto rifles, and a number of other unique firearms.

Like many have said... depends on how I size them up. I've gotten pretty good at knowing if they are going to appreciate it or not. I've no problem politely saying no, but more times than not, they "pass" and I do let them shoot. The rifle I get more requests than any other is one of my Garands. I NEVER let anybody that isn't already a Garand owner insert a clip however. Ouch!

I rarely ever shoot at ranges where I'm in the company of people I don't know, so, anyone shooting my guns is someone I already know, or they've been vetted in advance.

If some random person did express interest, I'd probably let them shoot a mag- or cylinder-full, but it would have to be after more than a little discussion, when I would have a chance to size them up, first.

Something along the lines of, "D*mn, that's loud, can I have a go?" probably wouldn't do it.

If it were more like, "Hi, my dad had a Luger, I remember handling it as a kid, but was never able to shoot it; do you mind . . .", then, after watching how he handled the gun while we discussed it, I'd probably feel good about letting him shoot it.

I really really HATE sharing a range with people I don't know. Nothing makes me more nervous. I've just seen too many morons and I don't want any holes in my body.

With that said, I'm very fortunate in that I can shoot my handguns on my own property. I also have a fairly flexible job and do most of my rifle shooting during the day when the range is vacant. If there's anyone there, I leave and come back another time.

A guy came up to me posing as an expert, "shooting for 40 years". He tried to give me some pointers at hitting a 300 yard target with irons. I had been hitting at 100 and 200 but hearing the gong at 300 was proving elusive. Finally, he asked me to let him shoot my rifle (as if he was going to show me how). He cranked off four rounds which were worse than mine and handed me back the rifle without further comment.

Other than that guys have come up to me selling training and reloads and membership in the range or telling me how to do it. I listen if they are explaining the rules of the range or anything safety-related. Others show off their gun collections which is interesting. I try to just keep my mouth shut and smile as I am just a guest there.

I have been offered shooting a Moisin and Enfield but I declined.

As a general rule, no, I would not allow someone else to shoot my guns at the range. The exception is, if it is a family member and we are at the range together. I have let some shoot my guns just to try something different.

Usually NO, but if they are my friend and I know them in such a way that I’m sure they will take care of my firearm like it’s theirs and won’t do any crazy stuffs then why not...I have shot guns that before to my friends at the range.

I usually go to the range by myself or my long time hunting/reloading mentor. We almost always "squeeze off" a few rounds from each others handgun/rifle. A complete stranger? I usually observe others who are in the lanes next to me. If they measure up to my lofty standards I probably would.

Back