Do you lawfully leave a gun in the car when you're not in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put a little professional mental health counselor sticker on my rear window.

Certainly nobody would consider someone like that possibly armed.

And a Biden bumper sticker right near that! :D

Only for short periods ( a few minutes) where I can’t legally carry.

Post office, court house, certain churches, etc.

If I know I am going somewhere I can’t carry, and will be there for long periods of time, I leave it at home, rather than leave it in the car.

I’ve had a couple vehicles broken into, and while that in itself sucks, I’d hate to provide a weapon to some low life thief.

Whether it’s totally a smart idea or not, I keep one of my full-size handguns in a locker down safe that wasn’t cheap that’s bolted to the center console with a programmable, up to like, 16 digit passcode. My EDC is still on me as well.

For most days, the full-size handgun just stays in the safe and my much smaller every day carry is in my pocket but when long trips come up, my EDC is still in my front pocket but the full-size pistol comes out of the safe and goes into a special holster that I bought that is attached to the side of my console for quick access in the event if somebody ever tried to carjack me.

But that’s really good information about if somebody ever tried to hijack the encrypted information off my key fob and whether or not if there’s some vehicles that’s easier to do that with than others, at least I can say I’m real happy to have the passive entry system on my Ram so that I don’t even have to push the button on my remote, I just push the button on the handle.

But one thing about concealed being concealed, I don’t disarm unless the place I’m going into has metal detectors or security guards to search you which then at that point, I either don’t go in or I secure my pistol in the safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, I think that is important.

For the life of me I cannot understand those people who have gun decals of all the firearms they supposedly own, on the window of their car. WHY?

I guess it all just primarily depends on what part of the country you live in because down here in the south, there’s probably not a whole lot of people down here who don’t have a firearm in their vehicle so whether or not they put their favorite gun brand sticker on their back window doesn’t matter but with that being said, no matter where I live, I won’t advertise my favorite gun brand, the brand of my safe and the brand of my very expensive soundsystem that I have under the rear seat in my vehicle… LOL.

I don't keep a gun in my car but I do store it in my car when I go in somewhere that doesn't allow me to carry. My truck is a different story I do a lot of driving in back woods areas looking for hunting areas. There are a lot of crack heads cooking their drugs in the woods, many don't like people looking around in the woods while they are in them.
If you walk through the woods stay away from any kind of box, trash bag or cooler sitting in the woods.
I carry as I scout out the woods that I go through, if encountered I may want a little more than a pistol, so I carry a backup small rifle behind the seat.

Locks & lock boxes only keep the honest, HONEST.
A thief can get into anything provided they have enough time. ;)

That’s probably very true for a lot of things, but I feel pretty confident in my locker down safe after I watched a hidden dashcam video on YouTube where these people spent over 20 minutes after breaking into a car trying to gain access do the very same safe that he had in the console. Eventually they gave up and the gun was safe.

But yes, I know, no lockbox or safe is 100% secure but like I said, I was pretty impressed with that video I watched so I didn’t hesitate to spend close to $500 on my safe.

That’s probably very true for a lot of things, but I feel pretty confident in my locker down safe after I watched a hidden dashcam video on YouTube where these people spent over 20 minutes after breaking into a car trying to gain access do the very same safe that he had in the console. Eventually they gave up and the gun was safe.

But yes, I know, no lockbox or safe is 100% secure but like I said, I was pretty impressed with that video I watched so I didn’t hesitate to spend close to $500 on my safe.

Why spend 20 min trying to break into a car safe? Wouldn’t it be faster to hotwire the car?

Just a reminder: as expressed in the thread title, the question is "Do you lawfully leave a gun in the car when you're not in it?"

This means that the laws in effect in the jurisdiction must be considered. Some states now require -- in statute -- that guns in unattended vehicles must be stored in some kind of gun safe that is attached to the vehicle. In such states, statements such as the following would not be legal:

We have fifty states, each of which has its own laws. And, within each state, there may be county and/or municipal laws that are more strict than the state law. As has been commented many times before, in other discussions, there is no good substitute for knowing the laws of the jurisdiction in which you are operating.

I’m not even sure what the law is in Oklahoma but either way regardless, I don’t really care because as I’ve stated, the handgun that gets left in my vehicle is secured in a lockable steel container that requires up to a 16 digit passcode that is secured to the vehicle.

NO ... cars are way too easy to break into ... more guns are stolen out of cars than anywhere else.
Rule #1 ... Never leave your gun in your car... if you absolutely must do it , plqce it in a locked steel box in the trunk chained to a spare tire and bolted to the trunk floor and hide it under covers the best you can .
Make it hard to find and harder to get to ... criminals don't like taking a long time to steal stuff ... your glove box and/or console are the worst place to "hide" your gun .
Gary

What you do is what you do so whether you believe it’s a smart idea to leave a handgun in a vehicle or not, it doesn’t make any sense to say it’s not a good idea if you’re one of those people that leaves and under the seat, leaves it in an unsecured console or in the glove box.

As I said in a previous post, a good quality, expensive 10 gauge steel box that’s bolted to your car may not exactly be 100% secure but if they want to take my gun, they’re going to have to work for it and by also practicing parking in well lit areas, I would hope that if somebody has gained access to my truck and it looks like they’re trying to steal something that hopefully it’ll be seen by somebody or by a parking lot camera and they won’t get to finish trying to steal my stuff so, just to flat out saying no, there’s a lot more to it.

Damn you are on a tear. Are you waiting in between posts to get around the timer? This is kind of impressive just watching the notifications go off on my phone.

Why spend 20 min trying to break into a car safe? Wouldn’t it be faster to hotwire the car?

I guess you could be right but with modern day security systems in vehicles that have much better defenses against hot wiring and theft, I really don’t see how hot wiring an extremely late model vehicle these days is all that easy. Maybe it is but besides, once you get into my vehicle you’re going to have the alarm going off which at that point I’ll be receiving an email and a text saying that my alarm is going off so instead of making cheap arguments against something so simple, why not just be happy with actually taking security measures instead of just sounding like you’re dismissing all that and carelessly tossing your pistol in a glove box and not locking your vehicle? I even go the extra mile and pay for the service that alerts me my alarm is going off and has a built-in LoJack-like system that I would hope is really not all that easy to defeat but, if a thief finds a way around it then I guess if he finds a way around it.

That’s why I also mentioned it’s important to park in well-lit parking lots that’s not desolate and away from everything else because being way back in the back where the light don’t shine sure makes it a lot more out of sight and out of mind to give somebody a lot more time to circumvent whatever security measures you may have in place.

I guess you could be right but with modern day security systems in vehicles that have much better defenses against hot wiring and theft, I really don’t see how hot wiring an extremely late model vehicle these days is all that easy. Maybe it is but besides, once you get into my vehicle you’re going to have the alarm going off which at that point I’ll be receiving an email and a text saying that my alarm is going off so instead of making cheap arguments against something so simple, why not just be happy with actually taking security measures instead of just sounding like you’re dismissing all that and carelessly tossing your pistol in a glove box and not locking your vehicle? I even go the extra mile and pay for the service that alerts me my alarm is going off and has a built-in LoJack-like system that I would hope is really not all that easy to defeat but, if a thief finds a way around it then I guess if he finds a way around it.

That’s why I also mentioned it’s important to park in well-lit parking lots that’s not desolate and away from everything else because being way back in the back where the light don’t shine sure makes it a lot more out of sight and out of mind to give somebody a lot more time to circumvent whatever security measures you may have in place.

I don’t really consider pointing out that a vehicle itself is mobile and could be stolen to be a cheap argument. As for carelessly tossing your pistol in a glove box and not locking my car that’s not what I do. I think locking a firearm in your vehicle in an additional safe is a good idea. I also think there are a number of options between being completely careless and installing a $500 safe that requires modifications to a piece of property I might resell. If you want to go all out more power to you.

Damn you are on a tear. Are you waiting in between posts to get around the timer? This is kind of impressive just watching the notifications go off on my phone.

Author of useless posts much? No, I am not on a “tear”, I’m just simply using a web forum for what it was designed to be used for. Any reason as to why you would have enough of a problem with that to make some silly off-topic post?

Author of useless posts much? No, I am not on a “tear”, I’m just simply using a web forum for what it was designed to be used for. Any reason as to why you would have enough of a problem with that to make some silly off-topic post?

It’s just not every day I see this many consecutive posts from one user on one thread is all. I didn’t really mean anything by it. Sorry I’ll keep my posts on topic.

I don’t really consider pointing out that a vehicle itself is mobile and could be stolen to be a cheap argument.
Apparently you took what I said out of context because whether or not I chose poor terms to use, I wasn’t necessarily saying that what you said was a cheap argument, I just said that because it appeared to me like you were suggesting why bother spending money on a good quality safe and leaving your handgun in it when somebody could just hotwire your car and take off with it.

As for carelessly tossing your pistol in a glove box and not locking my car that’s not what I do.
I didn’t say you did, this was just part of what my quote above was referring to.

I think locking a firearm in your vehicle in an additional safe is a good idea. I also think there are a number of options between being completely careless and installing a $500 safe that requires modifications to a piece of property I might resell.

Is there a reason why you’re just really sound like you just wanna argue?

But moving on to the quoted paragraph above, my safe did not require a whole bunch of resale-altering modifications to my vehicle in order to use it and even if I had went with the console vault safe that actually requires removing the back panel of the console to use these extra brackets to further secure the safe to to the vehicle, even with that one, once you remove it, the next owner in line would most likely not even know it was ever there.

Mine, Just uses four screws to secure the safe to the inside bottom of the compartment so once again, whenever I go to remove the safe when I’m fixing to get rid of that truck and buy something else, since I kept the little rubber mat that used to be in the bottom of the compartment that has to be removed before installing the safe, you would have to take that little pad out before you would even know that there might of been something screwed into that compartment So how is that going to hurt the resale of my vehicle?

I don’t think I sound like I really wanna argue. I think you’re really invested in this both monetarily and philosophically and are taking it overly personally. Have a good one.

It’s just not every day I see this many consecutive posts from one user on one thread is all. I didn’t really mean anything by it. Sorry I’ll keep my posts on topic.

Duly noted and no harm done.[emoji41]

I don’t think I sound like I really wanna argue. I think you’re really invested in this both monetarily and philosophically and are taking it overly personally. Have a good one.

More assumptions.

Irregardless of how much money I spent, I’m not taking anything personal on any lev but I could question the same thing about you because it sure sounds to me like you’re silently saying, why bother. Well, that’s the whole point of any kind of security measure is to make it harder for something to be stolen. It’s not to say that it’ll completely theft proof anything but having a good deterrent can make a thief a lot less interested in your vehicle.

I’ve already explicitly said I’m not saying, “Why bother”. If you have more to say to me then PM me so that we don’t bring the thread more off topic, as you alluded to earlier.

I’ve already explicitly said I’m not saying, “Why bother”. If you have more to say to me then PM me so that we don’t bring the thread more off topic, as you alluded to earlier.

No reason, I’ve said what I had to say.

Okay.

What was meant by my comment about there being less expensive options was that there are a variety of options. I had even edited the comment that you were replying to to say if you wanted to go to the level you described that’s great. It wasn’t some silent or implied judgement of what you’re doing, I’m really not that Machiavellian.

My point was simply for others reading that if they also thought they wanted to secure their firearms additionally to the locks in their vehicles they don’t have to spend $500 to do so. Like anything there are price points. At some level we all have to decide what level of deterrence we want. It’s great that you have the money and dedication to do what you did. Even for those that don’t have that money I think a safe with a cable lock is a lot better than just leaving it in say a glovebox as you mentioned. I’m more on your side here than not, which is why your responses thus far made it seem like you were taking it personally.

My point about the car being stolen was part of my thoughts on deterrence. As someone else had pointed out given enough time most safes can be broken into. With a car safe given enough time someone could also steal the car. That doesn’t mean my argument is don’t secure your firearms, it’s just the unfortunate reality of vehicle storage. It seemed to me given the video you had described that if I was those criminals I would have either tried to steal the car or move on to another vehicle (which is the whole point of having a safe as deterrence). It wasn’t a judgement of you, it was a judgement of the criminals as in that seemed dumb of them to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back