Do you keep your rifles original box/packing?

I keep the box until the warranty expires. I keep a few on hand even though I currently don't have any under warranty. It never hurts to have a box to ship a gun it to have it worked on.

Tony

I generally save the boxes. Can't always find the if I need to. But most are not tossed. My rational is simply a container to ship the gun if I sell it. I place little value in long gun boxes.

If you ever need to ship a gun for any reason you can to to any gun store and they will be glad to give you a box. The outer boxes that guns are shipped in to the stores are either trashed or recycled. They don't want them and they can be reused to ship guns. No reason to hang onto the old boxes guns came in.

I keep every box for every gun that came with one, regardless of whether it's a serious high end gun or a cheapo "goes bang" pistol or rifle. Both plastic and cardboard. Like a few others here, I don't plan on selling anything from my collection. When I assume room temperature every gun I have will be handed down to somebody who would appreciate it. Actually, probably long before I'm completely gone. I want to do that while I can still tell the difference between a bolt rifle and a semi-auto! I'm convinced that for the higher end guns the case/ box does add a little value. Other guns, probably not so much but although they currently take a huge amount of space stacked in the second floor of my garage, especially the rifle cases, I can manage. I don't expect to get MANY more at this point.

I kept all the plastic boxes from my last handgun purchases , Glocks, Sigs, XD, HK's

I also store them in the original plastic box stacked inside the gun safe

for rifles, I only kept one box from a RUGER and use it to store a spare sks rifle stock

"...local gun stores may pay a bit more..." Nope. Dealers base what they give on their wholesale price and how fast they think they can sell the thing. It might matter if you're selling privately, but unless it's a collector piece it won't matter much.

Good timing for me. I was on the verge of throwing out all of my rifle boxes and plastic pistol cases.

It's time.

A thought: Make sure to obliterate the serial numbers off the boxes when you toss them.

--Wag--

Would you pay more for a used rifle if it came with the box? I wouldn't, unless it was obvious that the gun had never been used.

Back