Do you keep your rifles original box/packing?

Hi everyone,

Over the years, I have made it a habit to keep the original box/packing of most of my guns. My rationale is that some local gun stores may pay a bit more on trades, if you have the original box.

Do you keep your boxes too? I have been pondering about throwing away at least the rifle carton boxes. What are your thoughts about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I toss them. My rifles and shotguns aren't going anywhere but to my heirs. Between now and then they'll get plenty of use so they won't be collectibles.

have had very few long guns over the years that came with the boxes, even fewer that were NIB, and while I never threw the boxes out, right away, eventually they got trashed and I tossed them. Didn't care that much, anyway.

Pistols started out like that, for me, but then I began acquiring pistols who's value was enhanced by having the factory box, and a few which are desirable collector pieces where the original box and papers adds significantly to their value, and while I don't store the gun in them, usually, I do try to see they don't get lost or destroyed.

I'd only keep it if it were something I suspected of collectibility.

Otherwise I don't have room for empty cardboard boxes of inconvenient size. However, I can't afford particularly collectible firearms, and usually buy used anyways.

For pistols, I'll absolutely keep a useful plastic case. Cardboard? Less so.

I prefer not to sell firearms, so I'm not terribly concerned about theoretically being able to include the box.

I keep the boxes. If I trade or sell the gun, the box goes with it. I don't have some many that storage space is a problem.

Well over 1/2 of my guns were bought used and came with no box. I only have one long gun box for a somewhat rare limited run of 500 rifles Marlin made in 2005. That might make a $100 difference 50 years from now. I have a couple of the locking plastic boxes that some handguns came in. Not because I think it helps value, but they can be used to transport the guns

For most common guns a cardboard box adds little if any to the value. Not enough to be worth taking up the storage space.

I keep the boxes. I've sold and traded a lot of guns over the years and I've gotten much better prices when the original box and paperwork were available.

Average stuff:
If selling to a private party, the original box can add a little bit of value.
If selling to a dealer, they usually don't give any extra for it.
Having a box or two available to be used inside a discrete outer carton/box can be beneficial if a rifle needs to go back for warranty work. (Handguns usually aren't difficult to package.)

Collectible:
Boxes add value. It's that simple.
Don't use one for shipping. You: A) Might not get it back. B) Might find excessive damage that ruins its value, if you do get it back.

I do save almost everything, including boxes for good scopes. But... I have a corner of the basement with enough room for all of them. When that area gets encroached upon in the near future, the number of boxes will be reduced to only those that matter.

Never sold a gun beyond not retrieving one from the pawn shop, so I can’t answer on the value of keeping a package.

I completely destroy and sanitize any evidence of being a gun owner.

Even ammunition boxes are completely rendered unrecognizable before disposal.

Depends ??

Do you keep your boxes too? I have been pondering about throwing away at least the rifle carton boxes. What are your thoughts about this?
Darn good question that I have asked my self. I am to understand that you are referring to the brown, plain packing boxes that some have you shipping address on them. I have thrown out some and will probably throw out the rest as I really don't have that many. The factory printed boxes, listing the manufacturer, I keep those; at least for now. …. :)

Be Safe !!!

Save all I get. Can increase salability and/or value depending on the gun and it's age or collectability. They do take up considerable space, but I've always managed to make room for them.

While seemingly unimportant when new, I'm glad I saved the boxes from my lever action Marlin and Winchester 22s.

Yes, certain boxes are a "must keep". What I do is wrap them in plastic and tape and toss them in my attic. The foam probably won't be good forever, but that's about what I'm willing to do, especially my more collectible guns. I think I still have my original boxes for my: USAS-12, HAC-7, IZZY FAL, and some others. I might even have the original box for a Colt SP1 Carbine. Unfortunately, my two early pythons and early Gold Cup had no boxes. I really need to update my inventory and indicate which guns have boxes.

Used to keep boxes, but too many, plus through the years, boxes got trashy. Nothing of mine will ever be NIB.

I have a blow mould Remington green plastic 'box' the dang thing is huge. How I came to own this is a story of its own. And no the only Remington I have ever owned were two Remington M1903A3s.

I used to keep them, but tossed them out a few years ago. Too much wasted storage space for a potential few dollars more IF I sell a gun. Now if the case is a nice hard case, I'll keep that.

Back