Do you home carry?

Do you carry your handgun on you at home?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no safe place to live where you are exempt for home invasion.

It takes about 3 seconds to kick in your door, it takes a bit more then that to make it from your couch to you night stand gun by your bed.

It takes more then 3 seconds to get your gun from your safe or to remove your trigger lock.

When cooking dinner it takes more then 3 seconds to make it to your bedroom to retrieve you hand gun.

It takes my < 0.5 seconds to draw my J frame from my pocket and fire.

----------------------------------------------------------------
CHILD SAFE: Stashed guns WILL be found by children. Child safe guns are locked in a safe

I never found a child who could get my J frame from my pocket without me knowing about it.

A self defense gun isn't a self defense gun if its not available.

Those who say "if you have to carry at home need to move to a safer community". I say to them ''READ THE PAPERS". There is no safe place in this world. Home invasions are becoming more and more common EVERYWHERE.

If its uncomfortable to carry you gun on your person 24/7, you have the wrong gun, method of carry or both.

No, I don't always kept a gun on me at home. Most of the sixguns that would be of use to me on the farm are quite heavy, and I often find myself 6-8 feet from the nearest when I'm in the house. I only pick it up if I plan to move to another room for awhile, but after reading this thread before I walked from the room with the computer to the kitchen to pour ac cup of tea I picked up a six-inch 686-3.

Not always, but more often than not. Weather IWB carrying one of my larger CCW handguns, or not, I most often put my Elsie Pea in my pants pocket when I get dressed. It's just become a regular thing like wallet and keys.

Do you ever read the American Rifleman or the USCCA magazine? Most of the shootings [published] these days are home invasions. That should tell you something.

A co-worker had his house broken into while he was indisposed in the bathroom. He had a gun, in the house but it wasn't on him nor could he get to it. There was a physical confrontation and the thief ran out. That happened in a "gated community" so don't think you are safe anywhere these days.

If you've got a door that someone can kick in in 3 seconds.....you've got the wrong door and lock setup.

Install an outswing door...there's plates to fortify the jamb. Yeah, any door can be kicked in eventually, but if you set out to really fortify your exterior doors, it's gonna take one hell of a man to make entry in 3 seconds..much less 10..or 20.

When people think about home defense, they usually think about the bump in the night type scenario. A while back a drugged out homeless woman came knocking frantically because our neighbor had lured her into his home offering a place to stay, taken the drugs she had with her, possibly did other things I don't want to know about, then hit her a few times and threw her out threatening to kill her. I had my firearm on me concealed. I came outside with her because she sure as heck wasn't coming inside and called 911 and got the sherifs over. They talked to everyone from there.

One of the officers said that he was glad I was armed and didn't let her inside, claiming that nearly all of the home invasions he'd seen on the job started with people pretending to sell things, playing like new neighbors asking for things like eggs, or people asking for help in a crisis just like what I dealt with. People will try to get you to crack your door just enough to start forcing their way in, and sometimes with the power of numbers if there are 2 or 3 "Latter Day Saints" at the door for example.

In that scenario, there is no time to get to a firearm, and it is far more common than other forms of home invasion to my understanding.

I personally consider a handgun to be the most important firearm you can have for home defense simply because it's the only one you can have on you all the time and answer the door with. Shotguns are great, but unless you want to answer every knock on the door with it then it's really going to be delegated to a Bump in the Night gun as far as home defense applications go.

bitttorrrent said:
No cause we have small kids and wife would freak.
Skadoosh said:
Nope. I have a very curious and smart 5-year old.
Neither of those reasons make any sense at all. One of the best reasons to carry a gun in your house is because of children.

If you want to be prepared for a home invasion, you need to have a gun readily accessible, not locked upstairs in your bedroom safe. Therefore, many people stash one or more guns in various locations around their house. But there are several problems with that:

1) It requires you to always be aware of which gun is the closest depending on where you are in your house. In an emergency it's just one more thing you need to think about.

2) Unless the gun is right next to you, it's a heck of a lot faster to have the gun on your body.

3) Many home invasions are begun by a simple knock on the door. Are you going to answer every knock by retrieving your gun first and then having it in your hand while opening the door? It makes a lot more sense to simply have the gun concealed on your body: If the person at the door is just a normal visitor, then you're not brandishing a firearm at an innocent person. But if it turns out to be someone with bad intentions, you're still prepared.

4) Most importantly, it's a lot safer for kids: Stashing guns around the house is a bad idea if you have children. Even if they're all locked up in various lock-boxes, there's still a chance that you'll forget to lock them up properly the next time you take them out. Also, small gun safes can be notoriously easy to get into. But the gun in a holster on my hip is in my control at all times. There's no worry that my kid will get ahold of it.

A little background...
I live on acreage. I'm married with four kids ages 11, 9, 4, and 2. I carry from the moment I'm awake the the moment I go to sleep.

Home invasions are on the rise in my region, and to me, it doesn't matter how fast I can get to a gun or how many seconds it takes for me to run through my house. What matters to me are the wife and four children. When an attacker comes through that door, I want to be able to respond immediately and stop any threat without having to leave the room and abandon my family, even for a moment.

I live on a small farm thats set a little way back from the road.My doorbell maybe rings 3 times per year needless to say I always have a gun on me when I answer the door.I also have 4 little girls in my house so most of the time that I'm at home I usually try to keep one on me.Not to say i don't get lazy sometimes and just leave it it the safe..Gotta work on it some more......

I just leave them on the table in full view with extra ammo right next to it and a large Maglite or Stinger Streamlight type flashlight

makes it easy to find if the power goes out and Im in the dark

Install an outswing door...there's plates to fortify the jamb. Yeah, any door can be kicked in eventually, but if you set out to really fortify your exterior doors, it's gonna take one hell of a man to make entry in 3 seconds..much less 10..or 20.

I've noticed in Florida residential doors are out swing and north in ky & Ohio they're all in swing.( except commercial buildings) Much easier to kick in. The only disadvantage of out swing is that hind he's are on the outside. One thing that can prevent hinge pins from being knocked out is dowel pins on the hinge side drilled. This locks the door to frame even if hinge pins removed. Most residential break ins are in middle of the day from my experience. They knock on door... No answer= break in. Usually the front door.

Originally Posted by Skadoosh
Nope. I have a very curious and smart 5-year old.
Theohazard wrote: Neither of those reasons make any sense at all. One of the best reasons to carry a gun in your house is because of children.

If you want to be prepared for a home invasion, you need to have a gun readily accessible, not locked upstairs in your bedroom safe.

I want to be prepared for fire too. But I don't carry a fire extinguisher on my belt.

Surely you can understand that the risk of a home invasion is far outweighed by what could happen if my curious 5-year old gained uncontrolled access to my firearms.

All the time. Way better than having guns stashed all over the house. Way better than fumbling with the safe when someone is trying to get in. Way better than trying to run upstairs to your nightstand when you need it. Way better than worrying about that toddler or kid who may find your loaded gun.

It is there when you need it. It doesn't have to be a full size piece, although that is what I carry these days. All it has to do is buy you time to get to the good stuff.

Surely you can understand that the risk of a home invasion is far outweighed by what could happen if my curious 5-year old gained uncontrolled access to my firearms.

So your 5-year old will wrestle you to the ground and rip your gun out of your holster when you're not looking? Your gun has a lot better chance of ending up in a kids hands if you have it unlocked or stashed in the house. Lock everything up and keeping a gun on your belt or pocket (holster) - even a LCP will keep you and your family safer than having everything locked up and trying to open a safe or lock box when you really need to get to it.

You know those FBI crime stats that they publish every year? Well, one of the few areas where crime is increasing is home robberies. NOTE: they don't officially have a home invasion category. Home robbery is when stuff is taken by force when someone is home.

I've noticed in Florida residential doors are out swing

That is the building code in Florida. Up north you have storm doors a lot, so the outer door swings out and the inner door swings in. Here we just have the out-swinging doors, and storm winds push the door closed against the seal instead of open for water leakage and, with failure in major hurricanes, catastrophic structural failures of the building.

Re the issue of kids in the house: I have no sympathy or tolerance for having unsecured guns in a house with kids. All those sorts of accidents are preventable. My wife and I have an empty nest, but we had two younger friends over the same night this week, each with a kid around three years of age. They were good kids, already polite and respectful (there are folks still raising their kids to be so); they were never unsupervised, they were never in the same room with the guns, but the guns were locked up in advance of their arrival anyway. To do otherwise just plays into the hands of gun control activists, because their alternative solution is to not allow any guns in the same building as children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back