Do you find this strange?

Z400ACDC

For years, all I Shot was center fired pistols, 9mm mostly. About 13 years ago, I built a range out back, a lot like Hickok45 with a few less targets. A few years ago, friends and neighbors came over and we started plinking a lot with rimfire pistol and rifle. Now I enjoy shooting more rimfire than centerfire. Maybe I am getting old and just like less recoil and noise.

I loved shooting rim fire when there was an unlimited supply of bulk ammo, now I find I shoot less RF and more HP rifle, I sure miss it

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I am getting ready to purchase a .22 pistol. I've not used one much because like you I am used to using only centerfire pistols. I load light to medium loads anyway but recently noticed that I am totally happy with very light loads I loaded up for a little girl some years ago. That will save powder too. I think the enjoyment isn't in the recoil and blast but just shooting and a .22 does the job. We should be able to get .22 ammo for a while hopefully.

Warner, I have several Ruger MK series pistols. They are fun. My eyes like the Hunter front sights better than the target.

In 2008, I got dumped like two days before Valentines Day.

I had just shot my first competitive IDPA match the month prior. Since I was single, with lots of free time and money, I went balls out shooting and practicing.

I shot over 14,000 rounds of .22 alone that year. I'd tear off the box tops and keep them in my range bag to keep score. I'd go out and shoot a brick per trip. After church, I'd grab a sub from Subway and wait til the range opened then play til it closed.

Huge improvements in my shooting. Trigger time is trigger time, the basics don't change.

I still have that old Ruger Mark II, and I still shoot it the most. I've lost count of how many friends have fired their first shots with it, and across the board they all loved it and most went on to buy their own.

Then I got married and started a family and a career, so for years my shooting was minimal. This year I've gotten back into it and put several thousand rounds through it again. Now it competes for my free time with writing.

Everyone should own one. Why spend .20 or more cents a round in practice when you can spend .3 cents per shot? Especially now that .22 ammo is plentiful in Walmart again!

I did not learn to shoot a handgun until I practiced Bullseye with a 22. Recently all I shoot is 22, broke a long shooting drought, realized I needed a LOT of practice. I have gotten away from reloading, when I did, I usually preferred revolvers, easier to retrieve the brass. I found that after months of practice with 22 rifles I could fire centerfires with no problem-and was accurate, too,

For me age isn't a player when it comes to shooting rim fire. It has always been fun. I shoot plenty of center fire handgun and rifle. I enjoy them all.

I live within city limits, but my back yard backs up to 2,500 acres of IL prairie. I have a 60 yard range off my back deck that's my pellet rifle/pistol range (and archery too). To me, trigger time is trigger time. I put in a lot of time with the pellet guns and my accuracy has improved tremendously for pennies, even for the CO2 guns. I made the switch to pellet gun practice from rim-fire just before the Sandy Hook panic caused ammo prices to go through the roof. Last time I was at the $$ range a month ago, I burned through a couple hundred rounds (9mm), but that was the best 25 yard accuracy I've ever had. In the past couple years, my center-fire pistol and rifle shooting have steadily improved and I've set higher and higher standards for my own shooting. That's also created an incentive to buy higher quality pellet guns too. No more excuses for missing! Also, my rapid fire center-fire pistol shooting has improved quite a bit now too. Quicker target acquisition and rapid, accurate, followup shots.

Not at all. I'm on a big rimfire kick lately. I personally love buying small boxes of a bunch of different ammo brands and experimenting to see what my guns like the best.

Gets expensive in other calibers.

Not at all! I shoot many rimfires (I have an indoor, single lane range), but also shoot my pistol caliber levers. About five years ago, at age 60, the kicks from my large caliber centerfires started to bother me, yet I still enjoy shooting. Hence, the change-up!

I more or less did the same with my range. However, now I find I'd rather shoot a 22LR revolver of tube fed 22LR rifle as I find loading rim-fire magazines annoying.

I'll grab a large handful or 2 out of a bucket of 22LR and put it in my shirt pocket. Then go to town plinkin stuff. Far easier than messing with magazines.

Find I'm getting decent shooting DA with my S&W model 17.

Back