Do you Dry Fire???

I practice regularly. Drawing and firing quickly with accuracy are tantamount to winning.

One thing that I always do is to unload and put my ammo in another room prior to dry firing in a designated dry fire area. After reloading in the other room, I tell myself three times that my gun is loaded.

at recruit training, we had "Grass Week" which is an entire week of snapping in, dry firing. we did it all day, i couldnt even tell you how many times i dry fired my M16A4. I had always heard dry firing was bad but i wouldn't think twice about it now.

I had always thought that dry-firing was a no-no.

However, it was activelyt promoted as a means of improving my trigger action on my G19, the manual said it is perfectly OK with my Redhawk, and I asked on here about the rimfire Ruger MkIII and, again, the response was it is not a problem....

So..., yes I do: probably half a dozen times a week on the .44 and .22 and 20 times or so on the Glock

I had always thought that dry-firing was a no-no.
Good point. It can definitely cause problems on some guns, but those guns will usually note that fact in the manual.

Most modern centerfires can tolerate dryfiring.

Yes. Some guns are vulnerable and some are not. Check the manual. If you don't have or can't get hold of one, use a snap cap. That's what they're made for.

Haven't done much (with handguns) since there's no way to gauge your success without a laser. I did (and my sons, as well) dry fire rifles when we first started in the sport.

I gotta get one of those laser targets that you can set up in your family room. You fire at the target, then fire at another spot on it and it lights up your hits. Cool as hell...

I got some of the .45 colt A-Zoom snap caps to check the conversion cylinder I got for a BP cylinder and for dry-fire practice. They have high quality aluminum bodies and tough but rubbery plastic in the primer. It leaves a great impression of where the firing pin hits and they're perfect for checking where the pin(s) are striking... and provides a similar amount of resistance that a real primer would. They were less than $10 w/shipping for the pack of six.

I'd recommend them for any weapon, even if you weren't worried about damage from dry firing on an empty chamber... for instance you may be doing some work on your weapon and need to check the cycling/action and make sure the primers were being hit hard enough and in the right place.

I like to mix snap caps and live ammo at the range. That is the beauty of dry firing (not knowing if it goes bang or not)
Its easy to dry fire at home without moving, its harder at the range!

I got a Laserlyte 9 mm laser cartiridge and have been doing 200-500 dry fires a day for 2 weeks. It has helped my laser accuracy, getting a consistent grip and trigger squeeze. I'l find out if it helps at the range this weekend.

when I was looking at rimfire rugers for the first time, the sales clerk was expressing his thoughts on the matter about how "ruger really gets how important dry firing is"

And to be honest it is a huge part of it. Helps you understand a lot about a firearm's "attitude" when you're first getting to know it, and i've seen people who note that it's important for training as well.

A person doesn't have to actually pull the trigger during dry fire all the time. Just picking up the gun and aligning the sights is a good exercise. If you can't do that naturally and automatically wherever you're looking, pulling the trigger is (almost) just a distraction.

I shoot every weekend so i never feel the need to.,,,But the way i shoot my pistol i should probebly dry fire all day:eek:. I suck with a pistol. I can keep a 6 inch group at 25 feet with it and i figure thats good enough.

i dry fire all my firearms and havent had any issues in doing so. I dont do it often but every now and then i dont think will hurt anything

Dr Rich
I'll normally get one dry fire a week right after cleaning. Its a Savage Mark II. I cringe every time too. But I'm OCD about having a cocked gun. Maybe someone can tell me its ok to leave my 22 cocked after I clean it and put it away...lol
Its not necessary to dry fire my Savage MkII in order to lower the striker. Just pull the trigger as you ease the bolt forwards and turn it home, the cocking cam does the rest.

My Savage does not have the Accutrigger, so if those triggers have some effect on the normal operation then things might be different.
Few if any turn bolt rifles require dry firing to lower the striker.

PS
I've repaired a dozen or more handguns with firing pins damaged by dry firing. Excessive dry firing can also wear away at the opening in the breech face of both handguns and rifles. Excessive clearance of a worn firing pin hole, coupled with upturned edges of the hole, can result in blown primers with a disc like piece of primer cup driven into the firing pin hole.
This can cause breakage of the firing pin shaft with the broken shaft and cocking piece driven out of the bolt to impact the shooter's face.

Last edited:
Back