Do you carry handloads in your defensive sidearm?

Do you carry handloads in your personal carry handgun?

• No. Factory ammo only.

Votes: 42 66.7%
  • Yes, I carry handloads, or would if I reloaded.

Votes: 21 33.3%

• Total voters
You can't be long time reloaders.
You're right, I'm not that experienced at handloading, which is why I'm not confident enough to use my own ammunition in place of factory ammunition. Maybe when I get considerably more experience, but I'm not at that point, yet. I suppose I should have mentioned that in my original post.

So far, every round I've completed has functioned flawlessly. I did catch myself seating a bullet into a case with no powder. That's only one potential dud, but that's enought to ruin your whole day.

I have seen lots of people claim that hand loads will get you in trouble. I guess their logic is that if you're using a handloaded .38 you'll get put in prison for murder by the DA, but if you use your .500 S&W with factory loads you'll get a slap on the back and car fare home.

I've NEVER seen a case that shows this to be true. I've done searches on the internet (which has all knowledge, of course :D ) and likewise found nothing. No one who claims this has ever been able to produce a case (as has been said earlier)

I think what you have to ask yourself is ... what DA, even in California, is going to try to put the woman in jail who shot the serial murder/rapist because she was using handloaded ammo? Might happen in DC or NY, but then they would try to put he woman away irregardless of ammo.

I think the only time it comes in to play is something like you had a pre-existing relationship with the person you defend yourself against. i.e. a business dispute.

I don't use handloads, but then I don't reload. I have more faith in my premium defense ammo than the cheap reloads I buy at the gunshow for some of my weapons (which have only had 2 FTF's with in about 2000 rounds, BTW).

I suppose if I were a reloader and thought I could put together something better than factory, I would.

Only use handloads. Tailored to my weapon.

I hear lots of talk about prosecutors might and you get sued for it in the civil trianl afterward.
Anybody got any case law on it.
Tired of he might they might. Give me a case or drop it.

Sam

HEY, maybe one of us will get busted for using handloads and Ayoob will come to our defense! He'd have a case to prove his assumption!

If I use the same bullet, case, primer, and equivilent powder charge putting together a Golden Saber or Silvertip, the only difference between one I made and one Rem or Win made is what machine it was done on. I at least have the capability to double and triple check each step of the work being done as opposed to a mindless machine mass producing something. I dont put some kind of voodoo hoodoo inside with my powder charge...that's not in any of my load books. Put a properly made handload next to a factory load, and who could tell the difference?

I wouldnt have a problem using Nyclads, Hydrashocks, or whatever. The problem comes in when someone wants almost $1/rd for a premium pistol bullet for something I can duplicate with more quality control for about 10 cents per round. I cannot practice with my carry ammo that way, and if I didnt reload, I couldnt afford to shoot, period. The only factory rounds I buy are rimfires for obvious reasons.

Randy

Back