Do you carry a first aid kit in your car?

Don't forget tampons. Seriously. Besides the obvious hero-factor for damsels in 'dat distress, most designs do okay as dressings after you've used everything up.

Never know when you'll be first on scene for a train wreck.

I'm with Skunkabilly on this one.And yes I have a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher in all of My vehicles.As They say,better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.tom.

Stuff to pack

Courier

also keep in mind too when packing PPE, is to look into getting ONLY nitrile/vinyl gloves. Last thing you want is a patient going into anaphylactic shock when YOU are trying to assist him/her all on account that they are allergic to RUBBER.

also keep a CPR microshield,EMT shears, examlight and a belt cutter tool within reach in your vehicle.

in the end though - only pack equipment/supplies that you are able to utilize to the limit of your training.

www.galls.com
www.conterra-inc.com

my vehicle pack is the Patrol III from conterra.

EGG

I agree that more people need first aid and CPR training. I have carried a first aid kit for years and finally needed it - for myself.

While working on my Jeep I cut open my forearm pretty good. My options were to use a very greasy rag to apply pressure, get the first aid kit out of the house, dripping blood through 4 carpeted rooms, or use the kit in my Jeep. Because I had buried my kit under other "more important" things in my Jeep, the seats and carpet got pretty bloody.

Things I learned:
1) Cut away from yourself. Even if you think you are, you probably aren't. Cut away from yourself.
2) OxyClean gets blood out of fabric very well, and it bubbles while it works (fun to watch).
3) Make sure your 1st Aid kit is quickly AND easily accessible.

I now have an additional kit in my garage.

Dan

Lots of good info here...

Cheapo, you've got the right idea about the absorbent dressing, but there's a larger version designed for this purpose called a Kerlex dressing--kinda looks like an ELEPHANT tampon I guess you could say. It can be unwrapped and cut off at length needed, or you can just slap the whole thing on a bigger wound and tape aggresively around it to make a pressure dressing. Also the fact it can be unrolled as you go makes it good for covering and securing injuries in awkward places on the body. Those paramedic type cut-all scissors are handy too, if you don't have/can't use a knife for some reason. Stay safe!

my 2 cents

In your kit don't forget duct tape ! Its great for making splints, immobilizing limbs & can be used to make a emergency litter by wrapping the tape around two poles or branches. I like to vacuum seal or put the supplies in ziplock bags in case of stream crossings & floods. Try silverlon bandages if the injuries are not going to get proper medical attention immediately. The bandages are impregnated with silver & helps prevent infections. I keep these in the kit if going off the beaten path & have to hike out with a injury. Space blankets are a must for warmth & shelter,not to mention signaling. "travel light,freeze all night"

I am usually fairly well prepared for all sorts of minor emergencies. That is the good news. The bad news, according to a friend of mine, is that maybe if I wasn't so accident prone, I wouldn't need to haul all that stuff around with me!!:D

Others have said it, but I would also urge you to take Red Cross First Aid and CPR training. I completed the courses about a month ago and would recommend them to everyone. They're well worth 8 hours of time.

The biohazard aspect is real...

I carry a Navy Issue "Unit 1" bag in my my trunk. Won it off a Corpsman when I was in the Marines.

I'ts mostly focused towards trauma injuries with pressure bandages, a suture kit, gloves, CPR mask, etc. I've stopped for 2 accidents here in Southern Maine, and I was glad I had it both times. I also make sure I have it when I go out to the range.

Ditto from on the value of the Red Cross classes.

I am usually fairly well prepared for all sorts of minor emergencies. That is the good news. The bad news, according to a friend of mine, is that maybe if I wasn't so accident prone, I wouldn't need to haul all that stuff around with me!!

DNS, LOL along the same lines, I think what you said about me sums it up best: "Skunk, you've got to be the only person to have an emergency supply crisis without an emergency"

EXCELLENT TIP ON THAT CAMERA...

The new disposables, and make certain you get one with flash and 200 or 400 film, can be a life saver if you get into something where there may be liabilities later. By the way the new disposables have the quality of the finest 35 mm cameras.

And, when you develop the pics, get the two for one and keep one of everything... I can't believe I don't have one of these in my kit. When I worked for FEMA in PR, we bought these disposables by the case!!! We were professional photographers and we ALL used disposables as they were excellent quality and no worries about weather, banging, liquids, or anything else...

For ME this is the tip of the year!!!! :D

Back