Do Walther P99 Mags Work in SW99?

Thanks for some entertaining reading guys, but I've got to admit that when I saw 19 responses, I figured SOMEONE out there might have had the opportunity to actually try sticking a Walther magazine in a SW99. I did see the magazine review comment though - closest to an answer to my original question.

By the way, the name-calling got a little tiresome. For what its worth, I also believe that Walther makes the frames of both guns (numerous sources), and that most of the DESIGN differences are cosmetic. But that doesn't mean that the fit and finish are necessarily equal. Maybe Walther makes a better quality slide and barrel than the Smith. Or maybe not. I can't say.

At any rate, I ordered 3 high capacity Walther magazines the other day, so if they won't work in the SW99, I guess my decision is made. Thanks again.

Here's the facts on the 9mm mags (emphasis added): <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Mec-Gar manufactures the OEM magazines for both Walther and Smith & Wesson. The tooling is the same for both magazines. Walther owns the tooling and gave permission for Mec-Gar to manufacture for S&W. However, because Walther owns the tooling, Mec-Gar can not offer the 99 magazine in the consumer aftermarket. [/quote]MecGar@aol.com

------------------
Protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms!

[This message has been edited by Ewok (edited December 09, 1999).]

I didn't ask about the .40 mags, since I figured I'd have a better chance getting an answer if I only asked one question. And I'm pretty sure that I read that SW tweaked the specs for the mag to fix a slide-lock problem that's been reported on the Walther P99 .40.

Ewok,

Thanks for the info. That gives me more confidence that the three 9mm Walther high-cap mags I have on order will work in either the S&W or the Walther versions.

It'll probably be awhile before I buy either pistol - I live in California and have blown my budget for awhile on soon-to-be-banned high capacity magazines and rifles (ARs, AKs, and an FAL). But I have a friend who also bought some Walther High-Caps who is ready to buy. We're both leaning toward the S&W due to the more rounded lines and the lower cost. I think we can order them through our FFL for about $115 less than the Walther version. But I want to examine both carefully before I make a decision.

Doug

The S&W is only around $50.00 less than the Walther.

Stick out the extra cash and get a product from a country with historical engineering (except the Volkswagen).

Get Rid Of That S&W Sissy Pistol And Get Yourself A Walther" Me

I'm amazed at the lies perpetuated throughout this thread.

You know what you should do, Doug? Exactly what you said. Examine them both and make up your own mind. I'll offer you my opinion on the SW99 in .40, however: it's a superb piece, well constructed and NOTHING at all like a Sigma. The lower is constructed by Walther in Germany and the upper is constructed by S&W here. The pistol was created because of a few reasons:

Walther still hasn't cracked the mass US market yet, and they really want to.

They contacted S&W, not the other way around.

Walther intended the P99 to be a hot law enforcement item, but the high price stopped most municipalities from even considering it. The deal with S&W, including the "dehorning" redesign of the slide and rounding of the triggerguard, were all part of trying to spark some interest in LEO use of this pistol.

But like I said, check 'em for yourself. I think you'll make a great choice no matter what one you pick.

------------------

-stark-
ShootersNetwork
http://www.shootersnetwork.com
Web Hosting & Design for the shooting community

Also, until consumers understand business ethics, don't argue with someone who does.

I am presenting simple facts but some can't comprehend the truth.

P.S. Compose an inquiry addressed to S&W's R&D department. Ask them if they manufactured a NEW slide for the SW-99 or borrowed proven technology from an already established product.

Let me ask what you would do?

Let's put an end to this thread.

Back