Do Walther P99 Mags Work in SW99?

DougB

Does anyone know if Walther P99 magazines will work in a Smith & Wesson SW99? Walther makes the frame of both guns, but a S&W rep told me "the magazines are different and we do not recommend interchanging them."

I can't tell from this if they really won't work, or if it's just a liability issue of S&W not wanting to give the "okay" to use a non-S&W product.

I'm most interested in the 9mm, but would like to know about the .40S&W as well. I don't think S&W is even selling a 9mm version of the SW99 yet. If the SW99 really uses a different magazine, is it the same as any existing S&W magazines? Any help with these questions will be much appreciated.
Doug

I don't think anything was changed internally, I'm not the final authority- but
I would imagine that the mags will fit.

I'm not an authority on this, but my understanding is that S&W specified a stronger spring for the .40 magazine. The mags are all made by Mec-Gar, and should be mostly interchangeable. However, it's that mostly that might mean the difference between a bang and a click....

------------------
Protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms!

I just ordered the WALTHER P-99, not that SigmaWesson crap. I love the P-99 and I wanted to get it until I heard that it was replaced by the SW-99 which is basically a SIGMA with a totally redesigned reciever. Yes, it is true. If you buy a SW-99 you get a Sigma, and I say no way (look at the differences, slide, edges, triggerguard, grips, ALL DIFFERENT). Go to your gun shop and ask to compare side-by-side.
That is why the SW mag should not feed into the P-99. It may, but I wouldn't even try. Another reason is that S&W makes they're autos so they will not fire w/o the Mag in. The p-99 will. (it is a feature that is in THE MAG, the mag has a piece on it that hits a lever when inserted in a S&W, allowing fire).
Go get the P-99

The SW99 is not related to the Sigma in the slightest. The frame is made by Walther, in Germany, to SW's specifications. SW makes the slide and barrel, the design for which they tweaked based on the design of the P99. Magazines for both are made by Mec-Gar.

------------------

The slide is based from the sigma, trust me, my roommate works for S&W in Springfield. I am in fact a M*******. Since they're sole polymer pistol is the SIGMA, and the SW-99 has in fact (here it comes) a POLYMER reciever..... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Let the board review the following query:
If you owned a Corporation, would you redesign a product derived from a joint venture or copyright purchase? No, you would take your already proven product (not the sigma in this case) and redesign from that to save on R&D overhead and machining costs (parts & labor), among other miscellaneous expenditures. SW-99, perfect example.

And I said the reciever was REDESIGNED, not a sigma reciever.

I don't mean to sound like an A&*hole, but I don't S*&T out information that I don't have the facts on. Did you read in my previous message "the mag SHOULD not feed" not "will not", "Should not".

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. I'm gonna go shoot something (a target, don't send the Feds)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.[/quote]I'm sure not interested in arguing the point. I've only handled a SW99 briefly, and never touched a Sigma.

If someone has access to all three firearms, could you take the slides off and compare them? I'd bet dollars to donuts (remember when that wasn't even money? :)) that the slide from the 9mm P99 will fit on the SW99, and vice-versa. And that neither slide will fit on the Sigma.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ewok (edited December 06, 1999).]

I have examined both the SW99 and the SIGMA. They don't look at all similar to me unless you want to argue that they are both made of polymer and steel. I believe the SW99 frame is even made by Walther not S&W (since it says Walther on it and which makes me think it surely would take the same magazine as the Walther P99). SIG, I reread your first reply and I can't even be sure which way you are arguing. Try to be more coherent please.

Someone is NOT READING CORRECTLY.

First of all, I never said that the SW99 wouldn't fire w/o the mag. I am making a referrence to S&W autos. And I quote again "Another reason is that S&W makes they're autos so they will not fire w/o the Mag in".

Secondly, I never mentioned that the slide wouldn't fit. I simply mention the COSEMETIC differences, like you did. Again I quote "(look at the differences, slide, edges, triggerguard, grips, ALL DIFFERENT)". . Why would I agree with you if I'm trying to prove you wrong, I wouldn't and I'm not.

Third, They are very different and the SW99 is a Smith & Wesson, not a Walther. If S&W has a niche in the Auto-Pistol market, it isn't with another firms copyright. That is why a good product has a copywritten business code.

DougB - Get the walther, if you have trouble finding it, I can help. My Acquaintance has them in stock, .40 cal too.

I believe that the Walther P99 and the Smith and Wesson SW99 are identical except for a few minor things like slide profile, finish and grip texture.

[This message has been edited by bubbaturbo (edited December 08, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by bubbaturbo (edited December 08, 1999).]

No problemo, main. It's called Schitzophrenia and I have post-moderate distress along with a case of bi-polar disorder not to be confused with manic depression.

I hope you don't believe me because I would not be allowed in front of a computer. I don't want the last word and I have no problem.

And I will not deal with it, because I have nothing to do with a SW-99. I don't care what it is. I know it's a piece of failed carboncopy junk. I'm just providing to Doug my personal (and accurate) opinion. That's all. Word up Doc!!!

I read in a gun magazine a few months ago that the magazines will not interchange between the two.
As for the other issues, I guess I will buy a Steyr M40 instead.

Hmmmmmmmmmm Bubs, was that a hidden stab at me.

Hmmmmmmmmmm Someone has been changing their original message

[This message has been edited by SIG (edited December 09, 1999).]

On the serious tip, bubs. There was no need to call me a moron. It's very immature. Using sarcastic remarks do nothing but cause confusion for the unfortunate in life.

However, I apologize if I offended you in any way, I'm man enough to say that.

Back on the topic, Do you like the P-99? I liked the SW99 until I found out the changes they made. Same went until I found out that I could get a P-99.

I just don't like when a company utilizes anothers idea.

Back