Do they still make a 41 mag

This came up on another forum, too... so I'll post basically my same reply...

Ammos for the .41 aren't hard to come by. No, you probably won't find it at WalMart (I don't shop for ammo at WalMart, anyway...) but it's out there in sporting goods stores and online. It's not cheap, but neither is good quality .44, .45, etc ammo, either... so you get what you pay for. If you reload for the .41, times are good... components are readily available as are both jacketed bullets in a fair range of weights and styles, and, even better, quality cast bullets, too, up to 265grn (that's the biggest I've seen myself.) I really like the Cast Performance 250grn gas check bullet, but I do just as well with any commercial cast 215grn SWC. If you want to get jiggy with it, there is even .41 SPC brass available if you insist on downloading and want your brass to match.
The last time my local Cabela's had more than one brand or load for .41 magnum was shortly after the start of the last run on ammo when they were desperate to have any ammo on the shelves.

Most of the time when I check there are two or three boxes of "bear loads".
I am very glad that I started reloading with my dad before I was old enough to buy any firearms. Now I figure in the price of loading dies and components when purchasing anything.

Back