Do these things really matter?.....

Who in their right mind would intentionally shoot innocent people?
NOBODY is talking about intentionally shooting innocent people. If you really don't understand that, then you aren't adequately equipped to engage in discussions on this forum.

I think you do understand it though, in which case, maybe you can stop creating ridiculous strawmen. It's a waste of everyone's time.

If you have something to say, say it. If you differ with a view, say so and provide your own. There's no need to come up with a parody of someone else's statement before you respond with your own commentary.

Short answer: No they don’t matter that much.

Long answer: Those who are that picky about triggers are only revealing that they don’t practice and shoot very much. I shoot a double action revolver really well. I also practice a decent amount (17000 rounds per year approx.) and do a decent amount of dry fire practice. Can i shoot a tuned 2 pound SA trigger better than a 14 pound stock DA trigger? Yes. Would i feel insecure defending myself with a gun that has a 14 pound DAO trigger? Not in the least. These reviewers who are concerned with take up, reset and over travel are speaking to the competition crowd. Where that stuff does really matter. But when i see a reviewer criticize a subcompact gun for the take up, reset or 7 pound break, i just say to myself that they haven’t thought through their gun review very deeply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The felony murder rule protects civilians as well as cops.

We could discuss hypothetical ad infinitum that attempt to defends one's postured position. I live in the real world.

The felony murder rule protects civilians as well as cops.

We could discuss hypothetical ad infinitum that attempt to defends one's postured position. I live in the real world.

As best as I can tell not every state in the US has a felony murder rule. In CA it only applies if the defendant was a direct participant in the death of the victim or if the person that dies is a peace officer. There is also the merger doctrine, held by many states, that holds that a criminal assault cannot serve as the predicate felony for the felony murder rule.

I see nothing in the felony murder rule that protects an individual against a civil suit by a family member for damages. Civil suits are part of the real world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So I’ve seen hundreds of YouTube gun reviews on all different makes/models. Each reviewer always touches on certain things such as:

Take up
Break
Wall
Reset
Etc..

My question is, in a life or death self defense situation, do these things even matter?

My only concern in this situation is... do I have enough firepower to stop the threat and will the gun go bang when I pull the trigger.

Am I missing something? :confused:
What matters more is your willingness to use it, is it reliable and your familiarity with it. A lot of practice/familiarity may be much better than the latest and greatest. Sometimes increasing accuracy, minimizing size and maximizing mag capacity can affect mechanical reliability, or someones ability to use it reliably.

Last edited:
Do they matter in a defensive shooting encounter...don’t know, probably not but I’ve never been in one. Do they matter in general... absolutely, any relatively experienced shooter will confirm this.

ALL media is hearsay and inherently unreliable except for peer reviewed scientific research which requires expert testimony to substantiate.

LOL, I take it that you are not directly familiar with the peer review process. It isn't nearly as solid as it sounds.

Do they matter in a defensive shooting encounter...don’t know, probably not but I’ve never been in one. Do they matter in general... absolutely, any relatively experienced shooter will confirm this.
Agree, in a defense situation, who knows, but I doubt it. However it does not matter to myself for my personal guns, as long as it is a sweet, smooth, deliberate and controlled DAO.

Last edited:
For range work/bullseye shooting: absolutely. For self defense: not really, unless you need to make a precision shot across your mansion sized house. ??????

My area of expertise is more in in the realm of physical fights, fistfights.
And at 85 years of age, I have been around a while.

I had a part-time job as a bouncer, in Liverpool England, a rough sea-port.
1960 till 1965. The first 4 years at the Cavern Club of Beatles fame, on a very narrow Street, Mathew Street, a lot of fights at the Cavern. I was stabbed twice at the Cavern. My final year, at the Blue Angel, an actual night Club, on Seal Street. In 1965 my Family and I moved to Australia and stayed for 3 years.
My first Wife hated Australia, and we sailed off to Canada, promptly were Divorced. But went back to England, for a week, my Mothers funeral.

The fight I was involved in, during a night out at an Indian Restaurant, The Moon Glow. Involved 4 young thugs, around 18 years of age. Who in my estimation were attempting to leave without paying, in local speech "Doing a runner" using our group to make it easier. My wife and I my brother in Law
(useless) his wife, my wife's younger sister. We were 4 also, but only two men.

How does this fit into a gunfight? I decided to start fighting, as a solution to being attacked. My years of fighting made picking targets, damaging all four in a way was almost a clinical exercise. According to the report of the Police, I called, to the scene, caused two broken noses, one broken arm (a chair!) 4 broken ribs, a front kick, heel landing first. Information from a radio call to the Cottage Hospital Emergency ward, made by one of the Constables.

Moving forward to now my Glock 19, concealed, a single armed individual, or two. Already pointed handguns at people, not fired, not panicked! Once in Detroit, once in Rochester. Both times on my own, in my vehicle.
I remember distinctly seeing the sights.

Hi Double Naught,

Yeah, I have knowledge of peer reviewed research. You're right, peer review does not imply that the underlying methodology was always sound.

At least two medical journals were outed by the AMA for publishing "erroneous" (possibly euphemism for fraudulent) covid research.

Gong further, just because any court determines fact within a contended issue doesn't mean the court's opinion is in fact true. It's quite common for two expert pathologists to disagree about cause of death. The hired pathologist is paid far more than county pathologists for his opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people's accuracy degrades SIGNIFICANTLY under the stress of a defensive shooting. Firearms that hinder accurate shooting will only make that worse. Now, it is a matter of degree. If you jerk the trigger on a long, 20lb pull trigger, it will likely take it pretty far off course. If you jerk the trigger on a 3.5lb, crisp trigger, it will probably miss the mark by a lot less. Does that matter? Maybe...Sometimes...
The ability to actually perform the correct mechanics of marksmanship is MUCH more important than the gear. The gear only makes it easier/covers up some of the error of the shooter.

It is pretty solid when you stick to high journals, not just made for profit journals (ie you pay to publish within).

Had to step in because it's very common for people in the right to put down the scientific method because the peer review process is (evil) academic without knowing there is a difference between credibility in journals.

There are more journals that are junk than real research. If you don't know this, yeah, there is a lot of junk.

If you do know this, you never look at them and peer review is an amazing approach to the scientific process.

If you like the gun you’ll shoot it more, if you shoot it more you’ll get better.

I haven’t met too many people looking for a trigger that feels like a Walmart Stanley staple gun.

All those count...All those make for a more enjoyable shooting experience. In the end that's where it will matter.

How many of you pulled a pistol on someone ?
I have on two occasions .One was in a bar during a discussion a person said he would handle me buy pulling his gun out of his boot and shoot me. I beat him to the draw end of discussion .Second was a bunch of drunk college kids . When one said I just take my dad's 45 out of the glove box and shoot you . A kid reached for the gun .I put a pistol to his head . I asked you have your hand on the gun he said YES .My neighbors came out .Settled things down. That is when you have a come to JESUS MOMENT . My pistol was a Beretta 21A 22LR
Think before you do something stupid . Now I carry a SIG 365 .

Last edited:
Hi Double Naught,

Yeah, I have knowledge of peer reviewed research. You're right, peer review does not imply that the underlying methodology was always sound.

At least two medical journals were outed by the AMA for publishing "erroneous" (possibly euphemism for fraudulent) covid research.

Then I don't think you would have made the naive statement that you did about peer review, LOL, or that all media is hearsay unless it is thus.

Back